• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 fuel mileage

beachbummer

I would like to know what kind of fuel mileage everyone is getting with their duce?

1 what type of driving do you do mountains, flats, city?

2 what fuel are you burning waste motor oil/ tranny fluid, diesel with nothing added, or bio diesel?

3 which type of fuel gets the best fuel mileage?

4 what wheel and tire combo are you running?

5 what rpms is the engine turning, and how fast are you going?

6 what is the safe limit of rpms, and speed?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of these question have been covered if you search , but you will need to search each one individually.

Alot of your answers are covered in the TM's .

DBLDUECE77

Personally i run kerosine and atf when i have it and it runs great off a 80-20 mix with that i thought i was running 6-8mpg about the same as diesel but a little more power. And thats running 14.00x20 tires at 45 to 50 mph 2300 to 2500rpms roughly.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get about 10-12 mpg on my stock A2 and about 8 - 10 on my A3, running straight diesel. I never exceed 52 mph with either and I don't accelerate hard. Easy driving will make a big difference. I live in the mountains.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

I live in Missouri and do mostly flat land driving. My A2 with LDS burning straight diesel gets about 8.5 mpg. That's empty with the tarp on.

dittle

Only time I checked my stock A2 w/out tarp on was going to poofstalk. 300 miles each way through the river valleys along the Mississippi. Got about 10 mpg for the trip running straight diesel at the governor.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'd say I average 10 MPG and only run diesel.
I drove Jims truck with full trap from GA. to WI,, it got very close if not right at 10mpg, had at least 4000 lbs in the back ( plum full, 2 motors, plus everything but the kitchen sink (ran out of room) ect, ect.) 900x20s, ran between 50/55 the whole way, most of the time running in 5th with some 4th, dropped a bit over a few mountains, doing about 100 below tack. not sure about other deuces, but this was a very good running truck, It wanted to run

OPEN to other driving ASSIGNMENTS HINI, HINT

Last edited:

APM215

10-12 mpg.

1 Hills and flats.

2 waste motor oil, tranny fluid, diesel and bio diesel.

3 diesel fuel gets the best fuel mileage for me.

4 michelin xzl 11R20

5 23/2500 rpm.

6 I don't go over 2500 rpm, it will let me go over the red line. 58 to 60 mph.

Last edited:

Ride2Kill

I live just south of Denver and take my A2 to the mountains on the reg. I take it snowboarding and everything.
Unloaded, I get a solid 10 mpg. With a full tank it will run out of fuel at 500 miles. I know because, well...
When I tow my crawler, its a different story. Im thinking about 7 mpg or less.
Im an aircraft mech, I get free Jet A all day long. (you can't put it back in the plane once you take it out)
This is all based on stock wheels and tires. I never go past redline. (54mph, fifth gear)

Last edited:

91W350

I would like to know what kind of fuel mileage everyone is getting with their duce?

My '72 was the best on fuel of any I have checked. It actually made right at 11 pulling my M1008 behind it loaded. I made 12.5 with it cruising down the highway and helping a Vet in need move. I am not sure I ever checked t and had less than ten mpg. My 68 and 71 both get about within a couple of mpg of ten, depending what you are doing. Winter warming is rough on fuel mileage.

Kansas is pretty flat! I drive mine back and forth to work everyday. I have managed to pretty much park the pickups and just drive deuces now.

2 what fuel are you burning waste motor oil/ tranny fluid, diesel with nothing added, or bio diesel?

I have been burning surplus fuel out of the tanks of the salvage five tons we have been buying. I am going to guess it is a sick blend of ten plus year old jet fuel and diesel fuel. I never track mileage on that though, just when I buy diesel.

Unknown, it does like ten weight motor oil though!

9.00 X20 and deuce wheels.

Mine very seldom, like almost never, sees anything over 2200, 42ish to 45ish in 5th.

Lots of guys say on the governor is safe and where they should run. I prefer to be a little conservative and stay down around 1600 to 2200. I am not the guy that goes screaming down the street on the governor in 3rd gear. If it is rolling freely in town, you will 1500 to 1800 is fine with me.

Last edited:

barefootin

I take it snowboarding and everything.
I wonder if my Deuce would like to go snow boarding? 8):)

Sorry, I had to make my first post a smart ^&^ one..... after years of lurking and finally joining a while back, I just haven't had the need to post due to all the great information archived in previous posts.

Now to the questions at hand....

I'm averaging just over 10 mpg unless I'm in the woods dragging trees for firewood or off road. On a recent trip with little stop and go, I don't know the fuel economy, but I used less fuel than my wife following in her L.Rover D1.

Mixed terrain with a mix of city/rural driving

Diesel/tranny/Kero mix.

I haven't experimented...

9.00 X20

Rarely over 2100, 45ish in 5th and never over 2500 which reads 55-56 on the speedo.

I tend to shift in the 1800-2000 range unless pulling a hill from a standstill, then I'll let her run up to 2200. I keep the rpms low but I don't lug the engine.

sandcobra164

I'm averaging about 11 mpg's by comparing the odometer to the fuel added to a full tank, mostly diesel but I save motor oil from everything in the yard, filter it and pour that in as well. It's probably slightly less due to adding the oil but we're only talking 5 or 6 quarts at a time as I change the oil in smaller vehicles. I have 11R20's in place of the 9's. I live in mostly flat country and run mine on the governor after it's warmed up to about 160 degrees. During warm-up, I stay around 40-45 mph indicated by the speedometer. Works out to 47-52 by GPS during warmup and bounces between 62,63 at governor limited speed. I've PMCS'd my brakes, new rubber lines, correct wheel cylinder springs and cups and they will lock the rears on dry pavement without much effort so I feel comfortable running those speeds.

plym49

I just got 10 mpg with a good hour of idling, 11 x 20 tires, 4000 lbs in the bed, towing my Jeep Wrangler, with the hand throttle pulled out to go 55 mph on the flats - ran 58-59 downhill and 50-51 uphill - and this was on what we call mountains on the east coast, crossing CT and VT. Oh, running regular pump diesel with a good shot of fuel conditioner and 2 cycle motor oil.

Kgood

We're running fuel oil thats about eight years old from one of our demolition sites and getting between 10 and 13 mpg. Ours is a 1971 A2 running hills and flats (mostly hills). Have noticed a considerable amount of leaks decrease after burning the fuel oil instead of the diesel. Guess all the seals swelled up. Thank God for multifuel!:D

dittle

tell me about it. I still don't have an explanation for it either. But I know she ain't fond of straight diesel.

Thats because the new ULSD sucks. You should treat any ULSD you put in these older engines to help improve the lubrication value in it. What do you think the sulfer did in the old diesel......LUBRICATION.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks