• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 fuel to injectors diagnostic issue

Gleeser

I have been trying to diagnose this Multi fuel engine for a few days now and I'm kind of at a loss as to where to go from here. The problem is no fuel to the injectors.

1. I checked and replaced the blown fuse on the lift pump.

2. I replaced the lift pump with one from Gimpyrob (thanks BTW)

3. replaced the long filters on the side of the engine.

4. filled and bled those with the center bleed screw on top of the housing.

5. Pulled the center bolt from the hydraulic head to check to see that the pump was cycling

6. pulled the cover off the engine stop valve and checked it. Was a bit gummed but started moving freely pretty easily.

7. cracked the return line bleeder

8. cracked what I think was a bleeder on the side of the injector pump.

9. cracked the injectors themselves

All of this has been done one thing at a time and attempted start afterwards. I have yet to get a single drop of fuel to the engine itself. I have fuel everywhere but there. So where do I go from here? I'm hoping my injector pump isn't shot too but I suppose it's possible. I could sure use some help, this is new to me.... obviously. I hope I'm not repeating something that gets asked constantly. I did search but haven't turned up much past the point I am currently sitting at.

Heavysteven

Given the info you have posted. There is either air in the fuel lines keeping your ip from get fuel or your injector pump needs to be rebuilt.

If you pull the injectors takes some photo's I want to have mine rebuilt some day.

Last edited:

Gleeser

I'm certain there is air in the lines. I can't get fuel into the lines. That's the problem. The lines between the pump and the injectors I mean.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a little "plate" that slides behind the fuel shut off rod. I think you may need to remove your fuel shut off rod and see if that is stuck.

Read the hydraulic head removal info, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of opening the TMs, right click on them and save them to your computer. They will load quicker and then you will be able to open them fast.

The post Gimp mentioned has the OEM instructions.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I want to hear you say you took off the shut down cover that is attached to the shut down cable. From there the lever is working and is moving foreward and returns to rear because of the spring. From there I want you to remove the locking wire from the two screws that hold the lever that goes into the HH head. Be care full when you pull this out as there is a small pin on the HH side of it that is not attached but willl come out with it. Just don't point the arm down when removing it. I would then check that the fuel collor is moving up and down to expos the fuel hole.

Gleeser

I did remove that cover and the flipper moves on it's own and returns on it's own. I'll be moving on to the second part sometime this morning. I just re-read that... is the lever supposed to be pointed towards the back for the engine to run? When it returns, it goes to about 7 o'clock. That's what I assumed the run position was... is that not right? I did check that the fuel collar is cycling... if that's under the center bolt in the HH. Thanks.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes the run position is the 7 o'clock and the off is back toward the motor. Let me see if I can find a pic of the pin on the HH lever.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're talking about a pin/part behind what you are refering to as the "flipper". If it is sticking, you will not get fuel out of the HH.

Read and follow the instructions in post#9.

Paul Wolfe

Hi,
I am not sure what you mean by crack the injector, but at any rate, any time I have replaced a diesel IP or run out of fuel , after bleeding the filters, ect. I always crack the high pressure lines at all the injectors and crank the engine until fuel leaks out the cracked lines. Then tighten the lines and the engine will fire. If there is any air in the injector pump it will never pump with the high pressure lines tight.

Paul

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PW, The multi-fuel engines do not need the injector lines bled, after running out of fuel.

Bleeding at the top of the secondaries is all that is needed.

Gleeser

OK, again I worked on this today. I pulled that cover on the engine shut off, clipped the safety wire removed the lever, checked the pin was free (which it was) and reinstalled all that. Lever moves freely, and it returns to about 7 o'clock. Still no fuel.

I guess when I said "cracked the injector" what I meant was the high pressure line going to it. Sorry bout that.

There is a bleeder on the side of the HH. I can't get any fuel to flow out of that either. Don't know if that helps at all. The only spot I can get to bleed is at the filters and it bleeds easily.

I don't think it's an issue but I have had the lift pump in a bucket of fuel rather than in the tank and I have been collecting the return fuel in a 2nd bucket. It pumps fine out of there so I don't think it's an issue but it is worth mentioning. This is getting somewhat frustrating...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks