• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 has been sitting for 40+ years…

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you enjoy working on things like this and can afford the time and money for parts you might be OK. I would go in lower than $3000.00.

Expect to replace all the pinion seals, wheel cylinders, brake lines, tires, axle seals, filters and clean out the fuel tank. Also two batteries. Maybe some wheel bearings too while you are in there.

Not sure how the condition of the truck is otherwise.

ToddJK

For thirty years? I'd offer $1000 to take it. If the cab and bed is rotted out or certain parts of the frame, use it for a parts truck and buy a deuce that does run. Could make most of your money back by selling parts as well if they are in decent shape. There's always some deuce owners looking for parts.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing a M35A2 that has been sitting for 30+ years. What would I have to do before trying to start it? Also, if it won’t start, what is the best way to transport it? I’m thinking of initially offering $3K for it. Is that too little, and what should the max amount I spend?
If you do decide to try this truck, squirting Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) into holes where spark plugs or more likely injectors are for a week or so would be a good thing. I don't believe I would give any thought to trying to crank the truck after sitting that long. Squirting MMO on top of the pistons may free things up. Out front of the engine - where the harmonic balancer attaches to the crank shaft - is a big bolt. Try to rotate the motor by hand with a long ratchet. If it moves good, if not, keep squirting every other day or two for several weeks. You might even try shooting some WD40 with a spray can the same way. Aerosol might help float something up into the valves (that could also be stuck).

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s a 1970 model from the data plate. As long as it’s not rusted through all over I would not rule it out. Read the threads here, people have brand new wheel cylinders, axle seals etc fail on them so you are not escaping tons of maintenance by buying a running truck.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love stories of older vehicles brought back to life. If you have money, tools, and time and you are willing to do some heavy lifting I would say go for it. As others already mentioned, plan to replace anything rubber. Belts, hoses, tires. Parts can still be found for these trucks, and the TMs (technical manuals) are available here for free download.

As for price, it is worth what you are willing to spend. I bought my 72 M35A2 in good running condition, with very little rust, for 6K two years ago. Plan a fairly large parts budget, and plan to have it shipped.

Best of luck to you.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m looking for a project to work on with my father. It’s not about the price for me, just the time spent with him.
John don’t worry even a running vehicle will need a ton of attention to keep running. Also you can make a ton of improvements.

This is just my opinion! Get into the hobby you will love it.

Darylfraser

I’m looking for a project to work on with my father. It’s not about the price for me, just the time spent with him.
Sounds like good quality time with the old man. I worked with my dad on his 71 Z28 for a year and a half, now he watches me work on my Deuce. Can’t beat that time spent! I picked up my 71 General Products Division W/W for $2600 with an M105 trailer. Couldn’t pass up that deal! Great advice on here so far. Even a running truck will need work as theses things are OLD. Condition is everything. Is it fairly solid? Not running for that long would make me a little nervous. Reman injector pumps are expensive. I would expect that the brake system, master cylinder, air pack, wheel cylinders, etc. will all need to be replaced/rebuilt but these parts are all readily available through multiple vendors.
If the engine is not stuck, at the very least the fuel system will need a thorough going through BEFORE trying to start it. Give that IP a chance to live. Chances are you’ll have the old style weepy, leaky head gaskets so if it is stuck, you may be ripping heads off to replace gaskets anyway.
And your right, it’s definitely not about the time or the money or none of us would be in this hobby. It’s a labor of love and more power to you if you can resurrect an old piece of iron and give it another chance at life. I think it’s safe to say we all probably have more into our trucks than they are worth not including the blood, sweat and tears.

ToddJK

If possible, try to get some more pics of this M35. I'm curious to see how it looks for sitting for three decades. Can't argue a son and father project. Something like that would definitely hold a lot of sentimental value for generations. We just never know, what may sound like a crap shoot, could always be a diamond in the ruff.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a picture perspective that truck looks grand. I could be mistaken but I highly doubt that has sat for thirty years. I’ve seen trucks sit for 1 and look worse off than that. All the maintenance suggestions previously stated still stand, but just looking, that is a great truck for a project.

Last edited:

John Dworak

From a picture perspective that truck looks grand. I could be mistaken but I highly doubt that has sat for thirty years. I’ve seen trucks sit for 1 and look worse off than that. All the maintenance suggestions previousLu stated still stand, but just looking, that is a great truck for a project.
I was using google earth and it has been in the exact same position all the way back to 1980. That’s as far back as is available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks