• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 insurance... need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi91

They had to take pictures of it in my garage because it has to be kept inside so they know what it is. as far as hauling anything it is just another toy and only to turn heads. I was told that I could only drive 5000 miles a year and no stipulations on driving it when ever or where ever I want.

Vendetta

I have a 109... If you were to take it camping, out to get a burger or to haul some groceries every blue moon (probably what it would be used for mostly) would Haggerty have issues w/ that? If so it would make me question if they really expect you to drive it at all...

parlusk

They're only liable if you presented them with the full facts of the vehicle. If you were to pose that the truck was just a "jeep" and get involved in an accident, you're going to be in a world of hurt when their platoon of laywers get done...

they asked what was the year make, model and vin of the vehicle i wanted to insure.. i told them it was a 1971 am general m35a2c to me that is the full vehicle facts.

mojeeper

Might want to talk to geico a little more to make sure they understand what you're insuring. I talked with them and once they figured out what it was, no deal. If you're trying to fly under the radar as a "jeep" and you get into an accident, you'll find out why you need to be up front with them. I have geico for my auto insurance as well. I wish they'd have written a policy for my deuce. I'm paying $260 every 6 months for liability in 100/300/100 amounts through state farm as a commercial policy. I was scared away from hagarty and gulfway insurance seeing how flimsy of a policy it really is. (You better only be driving the deuce to and from a parade!)
Hagarty does not offer every day use insurance I could have put my deuce on my Hagartry insurance for 41.00 a year more and stated value of 5K but I want drive when I want to I have AAA on it for 160.00 for 6 months

tonidial

Try usaa

About $100 a year liability only; listed as 3rd vehicle with less than 1000 mi annual usage. (also have homeowners thru them)

They are now accepting non-military/ military family clients.

They won't jerk you around when you have a claim either

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with strider, J.C. Taylor cheap insurance with milage restrictions. David
There's a few other "restrictions" you're probably not aware of. Ones they could use against you if an issue arises.

Frequently Asked Questions

Since you asked!

Q. What vehicles are eligible for the antique/classic program?
A. Check out our eligibility requirements right here.

Q. Where am I covered? Where can I take my vehicle?
A. Taking your vehicle to a series of shows in New England? Taking a club tour through the Rockies? No problem at all. Your vehicle is covered in the continental United States, its territories and possessions, and Canada. Special arrangements can even be made to protect your vehicle on an overseas tour.

Q. What's an "Attendance Clause" and does JC Taylor have one in its policies?
A. An "attendance clause" requires that you remain with your collectible vehicle whenever it's out and being used. So whether you're at a car show, cruise-in, town parade, or summer picnic, an attendance clause would require you to remain close to your vehicle at all times. JC Taylor finds this unreasonable and impractical. Consequently, we do NOT have an attendance clause in our policies, and never have.

Q. How can I use my vehicle?
A.
The vehicle should be used primarily for hobby events such as shows, club functions, tours, and parades. An occasional nice day drive is also acceptable. The vehicle should not be used for errands or a commute to school or work.

Q. Lately I've heard a lot about the need for "Agreed Value" coverage on collectible vehicles. What does "Agreed Value" mean, and does the JC Taylor policy include this coverage?
A. Prior to issuing your policy, we will come to an agreement with you on the value of your vehicle, based on the market and condition of the vehicle in question. In the event there's a covered total loss to your vehicle, the "Agreed Value" is the amount you would receive.

Q. What happens if I have a loss to my collectible vehicle?
A. Just contact our claims department at (800) 345-8290. Our customers have been consistently impressed with the overall speed, knowledge, fairness, and superior quality of our claims service. When you have a claim is when the insurance really matters, and excellence in customer service is our number one goal. We'll work with you to make sure that your claim is settled promptly and fairly.

Q. Does JC Taylor have a mileage limitation on the policy?
A. There in NO mileage limitation in the JC Taylor policy (i.e. contract). We use a limit of 2500 miles per vehicle per year for underwriting (i.e reviewing) our potential business. We believe this limit is reasonable; however, customers who exceed this limit will never be denied coverage as a result.

Q. Can I occasionally race my collectible vehicle?
A. Unfortunately, no. Racing and other timed events are specifically excluded under the policy.
Another thing is their requirements also have that same stipulation that you can only drive it around and not use it. If you've got a bobbed deuce, forget it! They also have that "keep it in a garage stipulation.

Am I Eligible?

A few basic requirements must be met.

To qualify for the Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Program, vehicles must be at least 19 years old*, and:
  • Factory original; i.e. there should be few changes from the factory original specifications.
  • In good or restored condition.
  • Be kept in a fully enclosed, locked garage.
  • Be used primarily as hobby vehicles: used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional nice day drive to keep the vehicle in running order is perfectly acceptable.
I hate to be all chicken little when it comes to these insurance threads. But please call them and talk it over with them. Explain to them fully what your plans are to use the truck. I just didn't get the warm and fuzzies when I talked to Hagerty and Gulfway. Sure their insurance is super cheap, but from their limitations, you're getting what you pay for. Well less actually...

treeguy

Here in MA the registry and insurance situation for anything esp. a deuce is a disaster/nightmare! Deuce = Commercial, period! Commercial registration - $300/ year with GVW ammended to 15,000#, Bare bones insurance for the year [commercial] - $1200, any additional trailers - $250 EACH, having quiet time to work on my truck, PRICELESS!aua

maxxplanck

Im having trouble here also, went to State Farm 3 weeks ago they told me $11 a month so I paid for 6 months up front.. Then I get a bill for another $241 ( total of $308 for 6 months ) When I went down there they had me under historic plates, but on the new bill it said commercial plates. So I called them up they said no way on the historic plates and that it would have to be under commercial plates. I told them refund my money and Ill go try someone elese

MiltonFine

I have Progressive for the Deuce and one of our infrequently used cars. It's $380/year for the Deuce and it is a $250K/$500/$250K policy. They knew exactly what it was and had no issues insuring it. I opted out of comprehensive and collision coverages to keep the cost down.

Progressive is expensive compared to Erie, which is the company my other vehicles are still listed with, but Erie wouldn't insure the Deuce at all. I would like to eventually find another company for the Deuce that might run a bit cheaper.

treeguy

Am I correct that insurance rates are dictated by each individual state? From all the threads that I have read about insuring a deuce it seems that southern and western states have lower or more flexable rates. I called several of my local agents that represent several companies and I get the same rates, especially the commercial requirement. They also say that the antique route is negated due to the weight. The only loop hole is to register it as a camper with a toilet, cot, and water source in the back, but that doesn't work for me.

6x6guy

I payed $136 per year for insurance for my 1st truck, and $36 for every other truck including my m274 for a year- It's predicated upon you driving record and amount of tickets you received in
the last 3 years.

JCKnife

This seems like the latest insurance thread so I'll throw my experience in the ring:

KY Farm Bureau wants $335 per six months
State Farm wants $225 per six months (IF they'll cover it, which they haven't said yet)
Geico won't touch it
Safeway won't touch it
Met Life won't touch it
waiting to hear back from Gulfway...

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heres my results as well from Summer 2010:

State Farm $10 month for 6 months, liability only, they saw the truck in person, claimed as a "pleasure vehicle"
Geico won't touch it, over 10K lbs limit
Safeway won't touch it, over 10K lbs limit
Met Life won't touch it, over 10K lbs limit
USAA won't touch it, over 10K lbs limit
Progressive won't touch it, over 10K lbs limit
but... USAA/Progressive Commercial Partnership could classify it as a non-commercial truck under farm truck rules at $375 a MONTH! (wtf?)
Haggardy/Gulfway: didnt touch due to skimpy restrictions and no covered parking

!!!If you lie/not truthful about what you're insuring they can drop you like a rock!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks