• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Knuckle Boot Grease Type

Desperado08

I need to know what type of grease you can use in your knuckle boot for an m35a2 2.5 ton. Thanks and is there an alternate that I can buy from an auto parts store or is it special order only.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i think its just regular chassis and bearing lube.... Napa will have the stuff. going to need a lot of it. Do a search for knuckle boot grease, you will come up with all sorts of threads.

I see you are new, welcome to the site. be sure to introduce yourself in the "new member requirements" forum.

Desperado08

Alright thanks and yes im new and a new owner to an m35a2 so I have alot to learn. Do you have any advice on where I can get service manuals for the truck also? I would like to do an oil change and fuel filter service on the truck and would like to know the priming procedures for the oil and fuel.

yamabro

I would use a really high temp, good quality bearing and axle grease. Just get a 5 gallon bucket you'll need it for all the other points too. But check the TM to be safe

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some that say you don't need grease in there. We've had this discussion before and I tend to disagree. I'm not for sure which one is right but the TM says put grease in and I also worry about the thrust washer not getting lube.

I use NAPA wheel bearing and chassis grease.

DieselBob

I also packed mine full of GAA when I repacked the bearing changed the knuckle bushings and replaced the wheel cylinders. I figure if nothing else it will provide at least a little protection from dirt and water if one of the boots tear and I don't notice it right away. 2cents

Zepol95

I just did my boots..I was afraid of adding too much...I just did a tube in each one...but I have a feeling you can pack more in there...I am just afraid of OVER packing it...which was the case when I got this truck..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figure if nothing else it will provide at least a little protection from dirt and water if one of the boots tear and I don't notice it right away. 2cents
Sometimes (ok, most of the time) I do notice it right away but will let it go for a little while because I don't feel like tearing into it. :oops:

I be careful not to go into any deep mud or water until I get it fixed though.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel bob. if nothing else it will provide at least a little protection from dirt and water i 2cents[/QUOTE said:
I believe that by not putting any in there if you go swimming and you don't want to open it up and check for water right away you can do this. You just take out one of the 4 bottom bolts that that hold the end caps on the bottom and most of the water will drain out.
I have never cleaned out and repainted one to be pretty but I spray WD 40 all over and I'm done.
I put a good amount of grease in the spindel on reinstalling and in wipe off exess when the axle pops out.

FormerNewMVGuy

Just wanted to add, That when i did my 5 ton front axle, it has the ball type axle, i put a new knuckle boot on ,slid the axle in an then packed it full of GAA before i put the spindle back on, But i have GAA in 5 gallon pails, so i just grab handfuls and push it into the axle and fill the knuckle, but you can only do it that way before the spindle is installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks