• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 New Style Torque Rods

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am needing to replace all of the torque rod inserts on my deuce. While searching around I have found the normal style (which I thought was the only style) from the various vendors for various prices. I found on Erik's, what he has listed as new style torque rod inserts that are a ball and joint style instead of the molded rubber with bolt through it. They are a bit more expensive but, the concept seems that it will last longer and hold up better. Has anyone used these? Also what are your thoughts and opinions on them considering that they are more expensive. I have attached an image from his website.Trod.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't there a thread on all your questions already? I could swear I just saw it last week.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of those links answer any of my questions.
You asked two questions( Has anyone used these? Also what are your thoughts and opinions on them considering that they are more expensive.) and your answers start around post #34 of the first link SWB provided.

The best place to have posted your questions, would have been on the end of that thread and not start a new one.

Only you, can decide if "it is worth it".

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like other peoples input, to know if they have used them to help me decide if it is worth it. I sort of thought that was the purpose of these forums, to get insight from other members to help make sensible based decisions based on their experiences with different ways of doing things.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't heard of anyone using them yet. But, I would think they would be well worth the extra money to have a ball and socket instead of just rubber.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably like anything it depends on how you maintain them , if you don't grease them regularly they won't last.
Edit ; With a lot of fording or deep mud it could be prone to early failure from debris getting past the rubber gasket , that wouldn't be a issue with solid rubber ones.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like other peoples input, to know if they have used them to help me decide if it is worth it. I sort of thought that was the purpose of these forums, to get insight from other members to help make sensible based decisions based on their experiences with different ways of doing things.
Yep, that's the purpose of the forums.

I think what you are missing here is that if you searched and found that thread yet didn't find your answer in it, you could have posed your question in that existing thread where it could get answered (not unlike this thread) but now the next guy that comes along looking for info on these parts, can find all the info in one thread
instead of searching several different threads.

back on subject;
I find myself wondering if this is a KIA part, and if it is, is it designed correctly. (remembering the KIA wheel cylinder springs)

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me the seem stouter and like a better design. I have heard that the rubber molded ones even when new sometimes still tear apart. Its a $408 difference so hopefully someone has tried them and can put in some good feedback on the part. Thanks for the on topic replies so far.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the member in the first thread I posted up.

You could also call the vendor.

Last edited:

KsM715

None of those links answer any of my questions.
You have to read the whole thread. Granted, the thread starts out with Hiem joints but does get around to the torque rod ends from Eriks. On the last page is a member who has installed those, and you could PM him directly and ask his opinion.

Yes, the member in the first thread I posted up.

You could also call the vendor.
I would not rely on the vendors advice, of course he's going to say they will work fine and hold up to the abuse. He wants to sell them doesnt he?

rustystud

My only concern about the new style joints is that they don't provide any resistance to movement. The old rubber style will provide this resistance helping keep the axles on the ground instead of bouncing all around. If you could add shocks to the differentials that would help. The transit agency I work for had tried a bearing in the 'A' arms, (for longer life) on one of our buss fleets. They would allow the front axle to bounce so bad that we had to replace them all with solid rubber units. I have not tried these new style ones myself so I don't know if this would be an issue, just consider this a "concern raised" .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only concern about the new style joints is that they don't provide any resistance to movement. The old rubber style will provide this resistance helping keep the axles on the ground instead of bouncing all around....
Well, what about if it was just the opposite...? Those are not bearings, or ? I could be wrong, but I would say they are more like heavy duty ball joints- which do have a certain drag, especially while new, don't they...?
On the other hand there is no drag in a vulcanized, rubber-mounted bushing; just the inherent resiliency. One can certainly feel the spring-action on a dogbone that is still attached to one of its ends, as long as the rubber in that bushing is still intact.

G.

rustystud

Well, what about if it was just the opposite...? Those are not bearings, or ? I could be wrong, but I would say they are more like heavy duty ball joints- which do have a certain drag, especially while new, don't they...?
On the other hand there is no drag in a vulcanized, rubber-mounted bushing; just the inherent resiliency. One can certainly feel the spring-action on a dogbone that is still attached to one of its ends, as long as the rubber in that bushing is still intact.

G.
That is why I said "a concern" because I don't know about this new bushing. Maybe they do provide resistance. Has anyone who used them reported back ? If they do, I would use them as they would probably be much stronger and not have the problem of pulling off when they get old.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not rely on the vendors advice, of course he's going to say they will work fine and hold up to the abuse. He wants to sell them doesnt he?
Sometimes but not always. Sometimes vendors tell the truth about products with less than stellar performance. Manufacturers not so much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks