• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 New Style Torque Rods

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because some people will give you an honest opinion. I know it sounds counter intuitive but it goes with your word.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
True, but if a vendor sells them, why would he give negative feedback to a potential buyer?
I have called Erik's before and had them tell me to go with a different item and it was cheaper too. (I am not talking about the torque rod ends).

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like a good idea to me. Keep them greased. I replaced all my torque rods a couple weeks after I got my first truck an A3 when one failed in my backyard over gopher mounds and too much application of throttle and maybe in low range and maybe some alcohol.

brianp454

New Intermediate Lower Torque Rod Ends

180511 M35A2CTorque Rod End Intermediate Fail.jpg180511 M35A2C Minor Brake Fluid Leak.jpg180512 M35A2CTorque Rod End Intermediate Fail Weld.jpg180604 M35A2C New Torque Rod Ends Intermediate.jpg I do a pre and post drive check that includes doing a visual check of the torque rod ends often. I had one (lower outer) on the intermediate axle fail and the rod end not pop off, but jam into the mounting flange, fortunately. I also had a strange brake fluid leak at the same time. I had a parade the next morning so welded a bracket to the end. The heat really damaged the rubber. I replaced all 4 lowers with the Erik's ball socket HD type a couple weeks later and left her parked in the meantime. I swear it drives with better rear stability...

Last edited:

brianp454

Yea, what is happening is that the big steel pin is taper fit into that big bracket and it basically sucks the heat away. If you use a TIG machine and angle towards the pin with the power turned up you can get good penetration. I generally like TIG better than MIG due to being able to control the weld better. I did a pissy job with this as I was in a hurry and had a parade to get to.