• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 Ram Air Snorkel

charlietango

IMG00924-20121203-1459.jpg

Made one for mine, it was a mash of parts I stumbled on while at the local truck shop here. I saw the pipe parts and the idea popped into my head. Saw the clamps, started throwing parts in the basket and ta-da. They're all exhaust rated so they seal tight. I added o-rings between the clamps and pipe so they 'seal' and re-used the mushroom top so things like leaves and evergreen needles wouldn't get in as easily. I offset mine between the exhaust and the mirror mount instead of directly in front of the stack like most to limit the blind spots. It shares the blind spot of the window pillar and exhaust stack now in the driver's view. Messed around a couple days to find the best spot that wouldn't stick out too far yet minimize view obstruction.
Seems to work, for a bolt together last minute idea project. (sorry for the crap picture, thats an old blackberry for you)

total cost $75+tax

Last edited:

The King Machine

CT That looks great. My scoop style snorkel clogged with leaves on over grown trails. Function wise the mushroom top is the choice I'm going to use for my next set up. I noticed no performance gains what so ever with the scoop style. Also I need to develop ridged guard system to protect the exhaust and snorkel.I will use the gun ring mount.

charlietango

I had only really 2 major factors for even bothering with the snorkel.

1. LCF. check.
2. Snow buildup on the fender getting in and or clogging intake. (it happened) fixed. check.

now if I somehow find something solid in the prairies to drive that baby in, I can. I didn't go as high as most of you, but its head-level. I can at least get water splashing over the fenders, which do force water up and over when driving in water as deep as the top of the bumper, and not worry about it. And if I find one of many marshy sloughs that I will bury it in stuck in the mud at least she can sink up to head level and I can keep it running waiting for a track-hoe or d9 cat to pull me out.

Last edited:

jeryshery

I've never done a snorkel on any of my deuces but I have made two different style cold air setups. Both styles had very noticeable power gains. One was a k&n poked through the hole where the horn used to be and plumbed straight to the turbo. The other one was a 10 inch cone sticking out the hole the mushroom cap set in.

ducer

I don't know anyone who has ever used a cutting torch or welded who has not lit themselvs on fire! I had a dog (Maxine) who would let me know when I was on fire and after I put myself out she would just stand there shaking her head. She saw me running out of the garage in flames many times.:burn:

Denny

Cannoncocker

Just a quick heads up, I tried to order a Donaldson scoop P/N H008154 from Filter Maxx and Matt E Mailed that US distributors rights have been revoked and I could order it from overseas? John.......

DeucesWild11

Dang! sorry to hear that Cannoncocker.. That stinks.. I just got mine all put together and love it. I didn't think I would get that much of a power gain when driving over 25-30mph but I did! I seem to be downshifting much less to get up hills.

Attachments

ducer

DeucesWild11,
She was half coyote and half pitbull and all chicken and gentle. She liked being in the garage working on things as much as me. I used to sell lease and service golfcarts and she could out sell me! She even turned the Key on and took off on one of my carts one time. It took 4 of us chasing her about 1 mile when she finaly crashed to catch her. Se lived for 14 happy years.

Denny

bonedoc

I'm resurrecting an old thread here. Been poking around looking to get ideas for a snorkel on my deuce. I don't weld so I had been entertaining purchasing one for one of the vendors out there but was a bit put off by the price. Also in my looking around I really liked the Donaldson Ram air cap but as others have reported the 4" version isn't normally available in the U.S.
When I found this thread I also found the info DeucesWild11 had found. He found a company called Filtermaxx and had a contact name and number. I took a chance and called it and got Matt. The same guy Deuces had dealt with. I told him what I was looking for and he took my info and called me back a short time later. He confirmed that yes, it is a part that isn't supposed to be sold in the states but that his supplier had 5 of them in the states and they are available.
I just purchased one as well as 2 Donaldson double guillotine saddle clamps, one in 3.5" and one in 4.0". I have a friend that has shop and does custom exhausts. He has some 4" pipe and is going to custom make my snorkel and mig weld it all. Then I can paint it all black and install it. The clamps will be used as the support and once we mock up and build the snorkel can figure out how big a piece of metal I need to weld between the 2 clamps to make a support bracket to secure it to the exhaust pipe.

Will post pics when done but if anyone is interested in the 4" Donaldson ram air cap. Filtermaxx can get them and as of now has 4 available.

Filtermaxx

Matt- 845-765-1315

Thank you very much DeucesWild11 for the info as well as other members for the inspiration and ideas for a snorkel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks