• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 transmission problem

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sure looks like it the clutch got droped in 5th gear to strip it like that, not much ealse will tear it up like that

cvh20

Thanks for the offer, I already ran out and paid too much for a new one. I could have bought a nice used transmission for what the dealer wanted for the new syncro. But mainly I wanted to see if I could put it all back together and make it work. Should get a chance next week sometime. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all the help.

cvh20

Got it all back together, runs better than new.

I am posting these pictures in case it helps someone in the future. I found it pretty simple to take out the main shaft while leaving the transmission in the truck. This was to replace the 4/5 syncro with a new one in the M35A2 transmission (Spicer 3053a). Basic order of events:
1. Open the top cover and remove the shifter assembly.
2. Drop the universal joint behind the transmission.
3. Pull off the rear bearing cover.
4. Take out the rear cotter pin and lock nut.
5. Carefully pull out the rear bearing.
6. Pull the top shaft rearward just enough to slip the 4/5 syncro off, slip on the new one.
7. Put it all back together.

I went ahead and removed the entire mainshaft and inspected all the gears and shaft. I would also recommend draining the entire transmission at this point and cleaning everything while you have it open (amazing how much junk accumulates in the bottom). Buy a gasket kit beforehand so you have everything there to put it back together. Use the latest lubrication order as a guide for what oil to put back in when you are finished (won't get into that discussion here).

Now, drive it like you stole it! Wait, maybe that is why you are reading a "how to fix your transmission" thread right now....

Attachments

Last edited:

jcolandreo

You guys are awesome! I lost 2nd & 3rd gear, with the help of this tread I pulled out my entire mainshaft, without removing the trans from the truck, it was easy. My trans was having a hard time shifting, it liked to grind gears and In 5th gear the sifter would rock when I accelerated. I found the keys are sheared and I need to get new ones (need help with this). My main shaft was kind of messed up from the keys being sheared so I polished it a little, I also polished the inside of the gear that is pressed on with the keys. I was wondering if this will create a problem later on. I ordered new 2nd-3rd and 4th-5th synchronizers along with a rear seal and gasket set. Figured I might as well replace them while its apart. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have some good used hubs, but mainshafts are pretty cheap, you might just as well get a new one. all the shafts i have are for the overdrive upgrade so will not fit your trans. the shifter moving in 5th is normal. there is a feature on the mainshaft that keeps it from comming out of gear in coast and when pulling it tries to engage further.

Last edited:

jcolandreo

I think the previous owner replaced the keys and did not replace the shaft & sleeve. Do you or anyone else know where I can get a new mainshaft and the 2nd-3rd synchronizer sleeve with the woodruff keys? I live in Olney, Maryland, is there any place close? This is my first military vehicle. I purchased it this past August. Little by little I am trying to restore it. An attorney friend of mine, Steve told me about a club he belongs to here in MD (he has a M37). He thought they might be of some help. I knew there were going to be problems! It was going way too easy. Your time is greatly appreciated.

jcolandreo

I found the part numbers I need:

MAIN SHAFT,SHOULDERED part# 7521019
2nd & 3rd GEAR,SPUR part# 7521005
Woodruff Key (need 2) part# MS35756-17

Any help locating them would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe

Ps. Here are some pictures of my main shaft removal. Went very smooth thanks to everyone's help here.

Attachments

jcolandreo

Here are some more pictures of the spun shaft, gear and keys. I noticed a small grove on the 2nd -3rd shifter fork don't know if this is normal wear. synchronizers show some ware on the outside edges.

Attachments

Last edited: