• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 vs A3

GoinNutts

I am new to the M35's and I have a basic understanding of the difference between the two but was looking for some pros and cons on each. Eng/Trans +'s and -'s. Registering them in CA. Was looking around and would like to build a bobber and even going as far as crew cabbing one. With a family of 5 it will be hard to get any support to build a 2 seater. Any pointers would be helpful!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am new to the M35's and I have a basic understanding of the difference between the two but was looking for some pros and cons on each. Eng/Trans +'s and -'s. Registering them in CA. Was looking around and would like to build a bobber and even going as far as crew cabbing one. With a family of 5 it will be hard to get any support to build a 2 seater. Any pointers would be helpful!
Welcome to the site, GoinNutts. Nice Mustang.

You'll find that the overwhelming amount of deuce related topics already have significant discussion devoted to them, I'd take some time to read over older threads and learn to use the search feature, as you will find a wealth of info available.

Here are some good threads about the differences and pros/cons between the older A2's and updated A3's. These should keep you busy for a while. Further discussion of the issue should be moved to one of these (or whatever else out there in the forum is relevant) threads.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/59063-what-buy-m35a2-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/58641-m35a2-m35a3-pros-cons-each.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/general-polls/48649-buying-m35a2-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/46364-m35-a2-vs-m35-a3-whichn-better.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/27089-my-take-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4642-difference-between-a1-a2-a3.html

In the same vein, there are multiple threads out there regarding California registration issues, crew cab builds and bobbing conversation as well.

Good luck!

GoinNutts

I have now figured out the search function! No need to beat this dead horse!!!!

Only thing unclear is due I need a Class B for a bobbed 35 in Cali.? Looks like I have one more reason to get out of this screwed up state!!

aua

mktopside

Banned
Family of 5? Go for a 900 saries. Wayne
+1

I have an A3, and while it is 10x quieter at idle than an A2, it is still hearing loss loud on the road. I have no experience with a 915, but I assume the are quieter than a deuce.

At the end of the day my MVs are toys with more utility than a jet ski. I daily drive my M1009, and have been driving my A3 more often, but none of them are fit to drive my family around in. I wouldn't dream of subjecting my kids to the deuces noise level, and lack of any safety features what so ever...... Oh, and it's the slowest thing in the universe.

If you want a project or a toy, buy one they are a lot of fun. If you need something for the family buy one...... But buy a cheap one and an old minivan to haul them around in.

GoinNutts

I had no intention in using it as a family hauler or daily driver. This would be a tinker toy for fun in the desert. The Kids love my 151 and don't seem to mind that it is noisy and lacks all safety and comfort amenities. These are my toys, it is just nice to have the room for them to tag along. As is a deuce is pushing size and legalities here in Cali. so I will avoid anything that would require a CDL like a 915. My'06 PS F250 is my family hauler.
Thanks for feed back 8)

goodguyzy

drove my A3 with no hearing protection for 6 hours with no problem, my A2? now that's a different story. my 2cents if you have the money i would get an A3. they only made 5,4?? of them and they wont be had "cheap" much longer. When they run out, which is going to be soon, the price will jump. just keep in mind the huge down fall of an A3 is top speed which can be solved with the use of a gear splitter (more money) Also another problem is California, enough said. GET OUT OF THAT CRAZY NUT STATE!!

stumps

I had no intention in using it as a family hauler or daily driver. This would be a tinker toy for fun in the desert. The Kids love my 151 and don't seem to mind that it is noisy and lacks all safety and comfort amenities. These are my toys, it is just nice to have the room for them to tag along. As is a deuce is pushing size and legalities here in Cali. so I will avoid anything that would require a CDL like a 915. My'06 PS F250 is my family hauler.
Thanks for feed back 8)
Kids generally don't know what can hurt them... as far as they know, they are immortal... Parents are put on this earth to protect, and educate kids about dangers. The noise level in a deuce will quickly deafen anyone in the cab. Hearing protection is a must. Smashing your head against the dash, or other metal work in a deuce won't do you any good either. Nor will rolling it, and finding out that your head is the hard point for an upside down scrape down the highway. Flying free due to lack of safety belts always results in serious injury.

Think safety.

-Chuck

stumps

drove my A3 with no hearing protection for 6 hours with no problem,
When I was a kid, it seriously hurt my ears when my dad ran the mower, or used a power saw, or drill. As an adult, I have run the exact same mowers, saws and drills that my dad used, and they don't seem so loud.

THEY HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY QUIETER, I am going deaf!

Hearing loss is a long gradual decline. Every abuse chisels away a little of your hearing. Wear your hearing protection. Someday, you will be older, and will wish you did.

EH? What's that you say? Speak up, sonny!

-Chuck

GoinNutts

Civilian vehicles up until maybe the 70's had equally as soft and safe interiors and lacked safety belts as MV's but most of us survived. 2cents I have safety belts for every seat. Seat belts are not optional for kids even in pre-seat belt vehicles. Emails are nice I only need to say "what" when it makes no sense instead of when I can't hear you!

mktopside

Banned
Civilian vehicles up until maybe the 70's had equally as soft and safe interiors and lacked safety belts as MV's but most of us survived. 2cents I have safety belts for every seat. Seat belts are not optional for kids even in pre-seat belt vehicles. Emails are nice I only need to say "what" when it makes no sense instead of when I can't hear you!
I feel ya, but it makes me feel better that my kids ride behind a boron plated safety cage inside my wifes 2009 Subaru.

You know what I really love about the A3? The instant death defroster vanes. They are cool, just incase you survive an accident, the razor blade vents will make sure your CO knows that it was you that wrecked the truck because of hellraiser pattern they will leave on your face.

LOL

stumps

It is really easy to find out if you have hearing loss. Go to any Costco, and take their free hearing screening test. If you routinely drive in a car with the window down, you will have damaged the hearing in that ear significantly just from the wind noise.

You will be amazed at how much worse your hearing is now than it was when you were a child. Which is funny when you think back at all the times your mother yelled, "Hey! Are you listening to me???"

-Chuck

stumps

Safety statistics from the era show that yes, most of us survived, but an appalling number didn't.

In the 70's, more people died in cars and trucks each year than US soldiers in the entire Viet Nam war. Our average yearly death toll on the nations roads is 42116.

The statistics are that you have a 1 in 272 chance of being killed in a fatal car crash at some point during your life.

-Chuck