• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Wiring Help

BGR

So I have an A2 kaiser that I have been trying to somewhat restore. The issue I am currently having is with the turn signal wiring and plug. My wiring harness is falling apart and really needs to be replaced but of course I can't find one. A couple of the wires going into the plug were corroded to the point that they broke off flush with the top of the plug. By the time I managed to separate the plug most of the wires were twisted and or broken, Im sure I helped. Would there happen to be an easier way to figure out what wire goes to what post on the plug? i don't doubt there is a diagram but are the wires marked somewhere or will they have to be traced? I think I am going to look for another plug with the wires still attached and hopefully just splice onto. Thanks for reading.

BGR

There are wiring harnesses for sale. Depends which one you’re talking about.

There are also full wiring diagrams out there.
I have not been able to locate a harness for the M35A2 with the blinker and bright option. Im sure there are diagrams out there but that doesn't really answer my question.

DaneGer21

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I have an A2 kaiser that I have been trying to somewhat restore. The issue I am currently having is with the turn signal wiring and plug. My wiring harness is falling apart and really needs to be replaced but of course I can't find one. A couple of the wires going into the plug were corroded to the point that they broke off flush with the top of the plug. By the time I managed to separate the plug most of the wires were twisted and or broken, Im sure I helped. Would there happen to be an easier way to figure out what wire goes to what post on the plug? i don't doubt there is a diagram but are the wires marked somewhere or will they have to be traced? I think I am going to look for another plug with the wires still attached and hopefully just splice onto. Thanks for reading.
Somebody has a harness I'm sure, but maybe with a little more info - some of us can offer up some suggestions. You mention that your harness is falling apart. As I was typing this, DaneGer21 posted a link.

Going into the plug means what please sir? Do you mean the plug into the SignalStat turn signal gizmo on the steering column? Maybe a picture will help us... If it is that plug you are referring to, the brake lights and turn signals will definitely be impacted if the plug is "shot".

The tough part is that the wiring is all one color of wire. Best you will find is to trace down the wire and hopefully find a numbered tag on the wire. The SignalStat (turn signal gizmo) has some wiring information on the bottom of that little box with the handle sticking out - ON SOME MODELS but not all. If the plug is corroded, the SignalStat may be corroded. Might be that you need a good clean set of contacts and if you open it up, you might be able to clean it up. Maybe...

So, any pictures that you could post might help. All I did was offer some SWAGs and hopefully with pictures and a little more description - the guys can jump in and offer some more useful answers.

(SWAG = Super Wild Asprin Guess) :cool:

BGR

BGR

Somebody has a harness I'm sure, but maybe with a little more info - some of us can offer up some suggestions. You mention that your harness is falling apart. As I was typing this, DaneGer21 posted a link.

Going into the plug means what please sir? Do you mean the plug into the SignalStat turn signal gizmo on the steering column? Maybe a picture will help us... If it is that plug you are referring to, the brake lights and turn signals will definitely be impacted if the plug is "shot".

The tough part is that the wiring is all one color of wire. Best you will find is to trace down the wire and hopefully find a numbered tag on the wire. The SignalStat (turn signal gizmo) has some wiring information on the bottom of that little box with the handle sticking out - ON SOME MODELS but not all. If the plug is corroded, the SignalStat may be corroded. Might be that you need a good clean set of contacts and if you open it up, you might be able to clean it up. Maybe...

So, any pictures that you could post might help. All I did was offer some SWAGs and hopefully with pictures and a little more description - the guys can jump in and offer some more useful answers.

One sec on the pics please.

BGR

So this is what it looked like before I completely took it apart. The portion of the harness going into the plug that screws onto the back of the signal controller is what I need to rewire. I found on Big Mikes page he mentions making a repair harness for the blinker controller but I don't see it on his site yet. If I can find a used plug with the wires still attached I think that would make things easier. See the pic with the controller i found on eBay. I found a thread on here where a company is making harnesses for 1500.00 but wow.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So this is what it looked like before I completely took it apart. The portion of the harness going into the plug that screws onto the back of the signal controller is what I need to rewire. I found on Big Mikes page he mentions making a repair harness for the blinker controller but I don't see it on his site yet. If I can find a used plug with the wires still attached I think that would make things easier. See the pic with the controller i found on eBay. I found a thread on here where a company is making harnesses for 1500.00 but wow.
I poked around on the Classifieds parts for sale and came up empty. Can't help but wonder if you put a "parts wanted" listing. Almost wonder if a complete parts truck couldn't be had for less than the ePay listing that you found...

Hopefully somebody besides me is looking - and has a better idea.

Barrman

Do you like isometric exercises? Once you find a front wiring harness you will hate isometric exercises. Because to change out the harness you have to remove all the wire holders from the frame that have a bolt and a nut on them. That means you will be under the truck hugging the frame with your shoulders about 1 foot off the ground. There are a lot of those wire holders.

Here is where I got mine 4 years ago:

It is still listed so maybe he has one.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you like isometric exercises? Once you find a front wiring harness you will hate isometric exercises. Because to change out the harness you have to remove all the wire holders from the frame that have a bolt and a nut on them. That means you will be under the truck hugging the frame with your shoulders about 1 foot off the ground. There are a lot of those wire holders.

Here is where I got mine 4 years ago:

It is still listed so maybe he has one.
Wow! That beats the heck out of the ePay listing for more than twice the money!!
Great find @Barrman

BGR

Yeah that doesn't sound fun at all but at some point I think its going to be a requirement. Have done/ had some much done to this truck in the short time I have had it. Drove it home yesterday from the shop and now it won't start. Waiting on a starter relay to come and hopefully that's it and not the starter. Big Mikes emailed me back with an option and I am going to try that. He has a partial harness with the plugs and wires with the number codes I can splice onto mine. Thank you very much for the link, I haven't seen this company yet. I went ahead and ordered the harness so we will see if it ships. Even if I don't use Im sure it won't be hard to get rid of. I appreciate everyones time as I am still new here and just want to safely put this thing on the road.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And another thing. Be sure to take lots of pic of the existing harness routing and clamping especially at the branches and behind the dash. When you pull the clamps loose put them back on the bolt/stud. If you are replacing them be sure to get them beforehand and replace them as you take one off.

Ask me how I know to do all these things!

davidb56

Yeah that doesn't sound fun at all but at some point I think its going to be a requirement. Have done/ had some much done to this truck in the short time I have had it. Drove it home yesterday from the shop and now it won't start. Waiting on a starter relay to come and hopefully that's it and not the starter. Big Mikes emailed me back with an option and I am going to try that. He has a partial harness with the plugs and wires with the number codes I can splice onto mine. Thank you very much for the link, I haven't seen this company yet. I went ahead and ordered the harness so we will see if it ships. Even if I don't use Im sure it won't be hard to get rid of. I appreciate everyones time as I am still new here and just want to safely put this thing on the road.
you could just jump the starter with battery cables to check it out.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan to keep this truck for a while, replacing the harness will be time and money well spent. You probably know by now that all the wires have an aluminum tag on them. I saw them in your third picture. All M series vehicles use the same numbering plan for the lights and turn signals etc. you could use the wiring diagram for an M37 to trace the turn signal wires on your truck.
The solid State flasher unit (black box on fire wall with three wire plug) is prone to failure without notice. They cost about $50 to replace. I have a stack of bad ones on the shelf. I don’t use them any more. Buy a two wire flasher at the auto parts store (I found one one that is loud when it flashes) ,connect the 24 volt supply wire (will have 24 volts when you turn the signal left or right) to the “X” connection, connect the other wire ( not the ground) to the “L” connection. The third wire is ground, you don’t connect it to anything. Now you have a $12 flasher that you can buy anywhere.

Last edited:

BGR

If you plan to keep this truck for a while, replacing the harness will be time and money well spent. You probably know by now that all the wires have an aluminum tag on them. I saw them in your third picture. All M series vehicles use the same numbering plan for the lights and turn signals etc. you could use the wiring diagram for an M37 to trace the turn signal wires on your truck.
The solid State flasher unit (black box on fire wall with three wire plug) is prone to failure without notice. They cost about $50 to replace. I have a stack of bad ones on the shelf. I don’t use them any more. Buy a two wire flasher at the auto parts store (I found one one that is loud when it flashes) ,connect the 24 volt supply wire (will have 24 volts when you turn the signal left or right) to the “X” connection, connect the other wire ( not the ground) to the “L” connection. The third wire is ground, you don’t connect it to anything. Now you have a $12 flasher that you can buy anywhere.
Very good info, thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks