• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C build questions

Str8Jacket

First, my name is Justin, I'm new to SS. I've always wanted a MV since my family is all retired Service members but haven't ever had the means. My wife and I are buying 30 acres in Ocala, FL and I want to build an M35A2C for my work horse. Hauling hay, fence, trailers, tractors etc.

Now to get to my question. Is it possible to convert the truck to a Crew Cab and still use the 12' cargo bed? My thoughts are to drop the inner rear axle and make it a 4x4 but I don't think the frame is long enough for the CC and the 12' bed.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS . Find a M36A2 (long version of the M35A2) or look into the 5 tons and put a deuce bed on it.

ScubaCat

Welcome to SS . Find a M36A2 (long version of the M35A2) or look into the 5 tons and put a deuce bed on it.
This...Or, if you can get by with a 8ft bed, cut the front 4ft off a deuce bed and you have room for your crew cab while keeping a shorter, handier truck. Heck, if you're going to drop the front tandem, even 2ft off would probably get you the room you want...

Str8Jacket

Thanks for the welcome.

Is the M36A2 much taller than the 35?

And ScubaCat, I was hoping to be able to carry a Gang Box or something similar in the bed but still be able to carry 8' plywood or 10' 4x4's etc. Also hauling hay bails without a trailer is very enticing to me. So keeping maximum bed length is important if it's possible.

Str8Jacket

I have gotten by with an 8' truck bed all these years so if making a CC with a 12' bed is going to be too long to maneuver around the property then I'll go with the 8' cargo bed.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a nice m35a2 in the classifieds that the owner extended the frame and put a five ton bed on. Might be a good platform to build a crew cab truck and to be able to have a longer bed. It has the ISO bed with the dropsides similar to the m35a2C

Str8Jacket

There is a nice m35a2 in the classifieds that the owner extended the frame and put a five ton bed on. Might be a good platform to build a crew cab truck and to be able to have a longer bed. It has the ISO bed with the dropsides similar to the m35a2C
Thank you for the lead. We won't be moving up to Ocala from Sanford for about a year. So at the moment I dont have room for the Deuce. I just want to get everything lined up to start as soon as we get settled in. My current 2011 Ram 1500 won't last long taking care of 30 acres with a few dozen cattle, horses and other live stock.

I just looked up the dimensions of the M36A2, and it's about 28' from the front bumper to the tail. That's only 7' longer than my old 95 CC Ford. I think that's going to be a direction I'm going to consider. Parking is the reservation I have on the 36 right now.

On a side note, I am currently assembling a Cummins 12v 6BT engine to power the Deuce.

camoyj7

First, my name is Justin, I'm new to SS. I've always wanted a MV since my family is all retired Service members but haven't ever had the means. My wife and I are buying 30 acres in Ocala, FL and I want to build an M35A2C for my work horse. Hauling hay, fence, trailers, tractors etc.

Now to get to my question. Is it possible to convert the truck to a Crew Cab and still use the 12' cargo bed? My thoughts are to drop the inner rear axle and make it a 4x4 but I don't think the frame is long enough for the CC and the 12' bed.
I did that by adding another frame section.

Attachments

Str8Jacket

Camoyj7, I read your build thread and that actually prompted me to sign up here and start really planning. So thank you for the inspiration man. But anyway, do you think it would be better to stretch your 35 frame or start with a 36? I thought I read you answering that in your thread saying you would've used a 36 to start with if you had to do it again, but I may be mistaken.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Finding an m36 might not be as easy as you think. I'd just let the bed hang over the frame in the rear till you see if its too long or not.

Str8Jacket

Finding an m36 might not be as easy as you think. I'd just let the bed hang over the frame in the rear till you see if its too long or not.
That's an idea. Worse comes to worse and i can box the frame and stretch it. Or sell the 12' bed and find an 8'. I hate cutting up something that someone can use.

Str8Jacket

Camoyj7, how difficult is it backing up with the two rear axles? I know if i back up my goose neck to tight and too slow the axles tend to hop a little. Most of the time spent in the deuce will be off pavement but I don't want to be tearing up gears or tires. After contemplating the extra length of the truck, I dont know if dropping a rear axle is a good idea.

Str8Jacket

I wouldnt drop an axle your just takin away your hualin capacity..
the crew cab is cool
great idea good luck
Thank you. I'm starting to lean that way. I've driven tons of duallies but never anything with 2 rear axles. I'm sure it won't be an issue if so many people use them as they are.

66m35a26x6

Theres no diff then 2axles then 3
and with all the time involved in
converting it ..
JUST TO ONLY BE ABLE TO HAUL LESS ON THE TRUCK.
UNLESS YOUR TO BE PULLIN A TRAILER ALL THE TIME
THEN MAYBE.
I OWN A 6X6 AND I WOULD NEVER CONVERTED,
ONLY MODS IVE DONE IS 46" SINGLES
IM GETTING READY TO DO ALL DISC BRAKES CONVERSION
THATS PRITTY MUCH,.
GOOD LUCK ON THE TRUCK WHEN YOU GET.
THERE ALLOT OF JOY..

camoyj7

Camoyj7, how difficult is it backing up with the two rear axles? I know if i back up my goose neck to tight and too slow the axles tend to hop a little. Most of the time spent in the deuce will be off pavement but I don't want to be tearing up gears or tires. After contemplating the extra length of the truck, I dont know if dropping a rear axle is a good idea.
Not hard at all.

Str8Jacket

Theres no diff then 2axles then 3
and with all the time involved in
converting it ..
JUST TO ONLY BE ABLE TO HAUL LESS ON THE TRUCK.
UNLESS YOUR TO BE PULLIN A TRAILER ALL THE TIME
THEN MAYBE.
I OWN A 6X6 AND I WOULD NEVER CONVERTED,
ONLY MODS IVE DONE IS 46" SINGLES
IM GETTING READY TO DO ALL DISC BRAKES CONVERSION
THATS PRITTY MUCH,.
GOOD LUCK ON THE TRUCK WHEN YOU GET.
THERE ALLOT OF JOY..

You're just talking about not converting to 4x4 right? Or are you talking about the CC idea too? I can definitely see the appeal in leaving her 6x6 but I need a Crew Cab.

mattgunguy

I used a 105 bed on my never will be bobbed crew cab. I can fit a couple of round bales in the bed easily. Been good for dirt, gravel, the neighbors kids. I put the original bed on our xm818 a few weeks back. For when I need more room & i don't wanna haul the trailer around.

Str8Jacket

I used a 105 bed on my never will be bobbed crew cab. I can fit a couple of round bales in the bed easily. Been good for dirt, gravel, the neighbors kids. I put the original bed on our xm818 a few weeks back. For when I need more room & i don't wanna haul the trailer around.
That's probably the way I'm going to go. I'll try and make some tool boxes for under the cab or under the bed to keep the bed clear. We mostly use square bales of t@a for the horses and round bales in the pastures for the cattle. How hard would it be to put a goose neck hitch in the 105? I've got a slant load goose neck for the horses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks