• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C vs M923

kdaniels

I have a deuce is good shape and just picked up a 5 tn (m923). I'm thinking about selling off my deuce but i'm not sure the M923 with it's automatic can come close the pulling power that turbo multi-fuel has. I've pulled some large logs around my property and wonder if the 5 ton could handle the same with it's transmission....seems like a weak link to me.

Anyone got any experience with that?

SEMPER FI!!

keith

kdaniels

I understand the weight diffence.....the m35 i know well.....the m923 is still unproven to me, and newer doesn't always make things better. I may hang on to my deuce for a while longer just to be safe. I've had it for 11yrs and it's never failed....i would had to partwith itonly to have sellers regret LOL.

Semper Fi !!

keith

plumkrazy

Keith--Keep both. your m35 has already proved itself and the the m923 is a big step up in brute force, period. Yes the 35 is somewhat more nimble in comparison to the 923 and more fuel efficient but the 923 is way ahead in all other aspects IMHO.

budman67

If he got the 5 ton in multi fuel, he would be even further ahead.
I have been aiming this way,but my import guy says they aren't
up at the moment where we are looking.

emr

There is no comparison between the trucks in what you are asking, The auto in the 939 series has more than withstood the test of time and millions of miles in service, they are as tough as anything else, of course driver error can change that in a heart beat, But that goes both ways. The motor the rears the trans the weight of the truck . All speaks for itself, as for the deuce, they are awesome too, But no comparison.

JasonS

Keith--Keep both. your m35 has already proved itself and the the m923 is a big step up in brute force, period. Yes the 35 is somewhat more nimble in comparison to the 923 and more fuel efficient but the 923 is way ahead in all other aspects IMHO.
Just looking at the engines, the cummins has a bit of an edge in fuel efficiency:

6CTA 8.3 Cummins: 0.392 lb/bhp-hr

LDS465: 0.430 lb/bhp-hr

rrrr

I like both my deuce and 932 but for different reasons. If you can afford to keep both do it.
I have both my vehicles historic plated so my cost of keeping them is very low. When I drive
them it goes up much more in the 5 ton since I get about 6.5 mpg vs. 10 mpg with the deuce.

jdknech

drive the 5 ton once, and it will answer you question for you... i went from a m35A2C to a M932(tractor) and there is no compairison... its like going from a model train, to the real thing just my2cents

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 Deuces and a 925A1 please dont get me wrong I have always had a soft spot for the Deuces, after I got my 925 1 of the deuces was sold right away, does the Deuce get better mileage HECK YES over 10 with both Deuces and I average between 3 and 5 with the 925, is it worth the sucking of so much more fuel? ABSOLUTELY in almost every way I can think of, I do not have plans of selling my last Deuce "yet" but I do have plans of buying another 900 series truck when the right one comes along! I am a devout 939 series truck fan, and I have pulled a lot of stuff and the automatic has never so much as hicupped!
KK

kdaniels

Wreckerman,

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !! I guess i will cut my deuce loose soon then, i have noticed that the 5 ton will have a tougher time getting into the smaller places my M35 does as tight turn on the 5 ton are a planned event....but then you know all about that with the 20' bed you have. Hate to let it go as it's been a dang good truck and i may talk myself out of it yet. Thanks for the pics !!

Semper Fi !

pitures 1130.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks