• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 from GA to WA, I need ideas.

Alredneck

Banned
Man, that would be a awesome trip if you drive it! If you are coming through Memphis I have a parking area to do some work along with a few tools. Memphis Equipment is near by and we have a CAT dealer here as well. If it comes down to replacing the tires check out " Recoverable Materials " in Alma, GA they should have some good 14.5s but even better they will have 395s for a good price ( $50-$100ea ) and you will drop some rpms when running at speed. It is easier changing combat wheels than split rims, make sure you get so extra o-rings ( always carry spares ) and valve stems just in case. Also the CTIS is notorious for going out so some big bolts and caulk to fix that problem. Good luck on your trip and take pics!

2deuce

If you have the time, I say drive it! It may be safer to live out your life in a concrete bunker and you won't put any miles on your deuce either, but wheres the fun in that!
My longest recovery was only from Sierra Depot. I didn't inspect, called in sick from the depot, while waiting for the sun to rise. Then went to look at what I bought. I should have brought batterys, but it started with my CUCV batterys, hooked up tow bar and lights and went. Being able to prepare your deuce for the trip is huge.
I would suggest buying a good CUCV in GA to tow behind your deuce so you won't get stranded. Good Luck! Have an adventure you will always remember!

83GMCK2500

I'm just west of Spokane. I'm all for combining to build a full load for a shipper to haul or adding to my GVW to offset the costs. I've got some emails out with requests for estimates and questions at the moment.
Ritzville, Moses Lake...? I'm from Othello, currently in Pullman. I'd love to see an M35A3 in person. Please do keep us updated. Oh, and if there's a MV Rally in the PNW I'd love to know about it.

jimm1009

I would suggest to have airports, bus stations, rental cars, and taxi services lined up just to be safe (always have a Plan B & Plan C).
If you are going to drive (my vote, sorry guys) have your route planned including camping and hotels and look for members along that route for when, not if you need some assistance. Plan on tools and supplies for the truck.
Perhaps consider a one-way rental car to Georgia to transport tools and supplies unless "brother" is going to loan you tools for trip.
I'm in Lafayette, LA along I-10 and have a shop and tools (for an M35A2C) here but you would do better to go up through Shreveport to Dallas and slowly up from there as it is more direct.
I say plan on two weeks away from work in case of a "bind" although you should not need that.
The other member that did this similar trip can offer expert hands-on advice since he lives in your area and has had ( or suffered :-D) the experience.
Good luck in your planning and keep us informed.

jimm1009

greenjeepster

Man I would be really hesitant to drive an unknown truck with an Allison in it that far. You will want to make sure you have the money set aside to have it hauled just in case. The Allison is a good trans, but it has a reputation of going out without any warning when they do go out. They can be fine one minute and gone the next. Also I believe the one that was used in the a3 is an oddball and not cheap to repair. Change the fluid out of it before you leave; it probably has motor oil in it and they operate a lot better on hydraulic fluid.

jimm1009

Absolutely, this trip calls for all bearings including rear pivot bearings inspection & lube plus complete brake inspection, etc. plus all fluids & oils changed plus spare filters, etc.
I do no know the A3 at all but it is a very serious trip but could be done if PROPERLY planned out for all obvious scenarios.
There are roads in this country where a break down can actually mean certain death this time of year without life saving provisions.
This is not a walk in the summer park by any means or a simple trip to the store and back. :driver:

lonegunman

Still waiting on my EUC, as soon as it arrives getting the truck picked up, serviced and the road trip firmed up. Before I drive anywhere we are going to have the overhead on the eingine done and get the motor oil out of the tranny.

2deuce

If you think about it too much and worry about all the bad things that can happen you will likely chicken out and have it shipped. If you prepare and plan, put yourself in the best position by completely going over your truck, make the trip. If your the type of guy that worrys, you probably won't have fun even if you arrive without a hitch, in which case have it shipped. If you like a challenge and seek adventure, enjoy your trip!

bevanet

I would probably have it shipped but I am working. Taking the time off wouldn't end up saving much if any. If you are just doing it for fun, be sure to opt for the road-side assistance and towing coverage when you get your insureance.

Green_gator

I have made two fairly long recoveries to Florida, one from Indiana and the other Texas. As other said good prep work on the truck is essential. Bring as many spare parts and tools for common problems as you can get to Georgia. The route from Florida to Texas along I-10 is an easy road for the truck as it is flat and plenty of reasonable places to stay. Have driven Oklahoma City north to Salina, KS and then west to Grand Junction, CO. on I-70 with a deuce and it is also a good road. I will say that the first time over the Rockies in a deuce was an experience but after a couple of times it is old hat. If you have the time and money to drive it is an interesting way to bring it home. By the end of the trip you will either love or hate your truck and have a good idea of every sound that it should and should not make. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Stop and see things when you go by something interesting and it will be a trip to remember. Most importantly take pictures and post here so we can see them.

lonegunman

Well my EUC cleared today! :jumpin:

I'm having it shipped after all. My co-pilot ran out of balls for the drive and decided to beg off. I have some stuff to put into the bed and am working out the plans for picking it up in a week, then home a week after that. Soon I'll have my truck.

lonegunman

Well I picked up my truck today, it is in pretty good shape. I checked everything over and took it for an hour drive to get it serviced. It did have a bounce in the rear axel, kind of an odd thing where the wheels bounced left and right and not at the same time. The bounce smoothed out at a little over 50mph and didn't occur under 45, just in a few mph range.

It was worse when the tires got to full pressure on the CTIS. It does have a newer tire on one side than the other.

Any of this give anyone any ideas?

Now as far as getting it home, after we get the check-up finished I am looking at the slow road and a long drive.

I have to say all of the offers or bids for transporting a truck I got off SS were crap. They were either expensive or when I tried to get details on when they would move the truck exactly or where to send money they all disappeared and never emailed or called again. I'm not feeling the love.

The good news is that I have a pretty decent truck over all. There is a little peeling paint and most of the tools were gone but otherwise everything looks nice. There was even a fiberglass troop seats, a new cargo canvas and a new set of chalks in the bed.

lonegunman

I'm one the road. God this thing is slow but she purred right along all day. Average over the hills and dales was about 48mph. I hope things work for the rest of the week and I make it home. I'm soloing it. So keep an eye out for me tomorrow between Marion, Ill and Omaha, Neb. Thats the planned route tomorrow for my slow truck.

I'm west of Spokane when not driving slowly cross country.:D

wsucougarx

Excellent, great to hear you're having a great start. Might as well watch upcoming bid in OK City before you drive through there. Load up your truck with more goodies:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks