• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Help!!

brrrap2u

Took my M35A3 up to Slash X and on the way back had my rear wheels start to lock up at stops. Now it won't power forward but will go in reverse just fine. Checked tranny fluid and is a bit low. could that be the cause? New to the truck and was just wondering if that was a common or known to happen when low.

eagle4g63

Freely rolls forward and back fine just won't go forward under power??
I see.....just no forward drive!! Well I guess it could be low on fluid making it do that, it is an automatic. Did you try filling it up to the correct level and try moving again? Other than that I guess I would not know....don't have an a3.

brrrap2u

Ya, It's on an incline and will roll freely as soon as brake is released but when I gas it ,it won't go forward. when i put it in reverse it goes instantly like it should . When it started happening on the way home it would lock up at stops and I would have to really power up for it to catch and start moving forward. Now no matter how high I rev it ,it won't "grab" and go forward.
Will the engine rev and it just not move forward?

RIDDLE1

Ya, It's on an incline and will roll freely as soon as brake is released but when I gas it ,it won't go forward. when i put it in reverse it goes instantly like it should . When it started happening on the way home it would lock up at stops and I would have to really power up for it to catch and start moving forward. Now no matter how high I rev it ,it won't "grab" and go forward.
Ok, thanks. I would start by adding trans fluid. If you get the level to "full" and it still won't move, the trans is probably toast.

brrrap2u

Going to do oil today,another question,yes allison trans. Do I add through dipstick? Or is access hole on side of trans? Thanks everyone.
I see.....just no forward drive!! Well I guess it could be low on fluid making it do that, it is an automatic. Did you try filling it up to the correct level and try moving again? Other than that I guess I would not know....don't have an a3.

HFDm715

the way you are explaining it, it sounds like it was taking off like a high stall speed converter, sounds like forward clutches, i dont know what it costs to rebuild that trans, but TNJ murray has new ones for around 6000, if it was me, id be pullin it and bringin it to a trans shop. gotta be cheaper than 6000.

good luck!

Duane

goodguyzy

Sounds like the tranny is toast, there is a thread on here already on having one rebuilt. Almost cheaper to buy a new truck. Sorry about the problems.

Rustygears

Sounds like tranny clutches on 1st gear. You might get by by properly filling. Full is measured on dipstick with engine running and fluid at operating temp, not cold. Fluid added through dipstick located in trap door on pax side floor inside cab. Even if the refill works, it's going to need a rebuild - $$$. Search the posts for recent info. If the fluid smells burnt or toasty, it's best to drain and refill fresh. Also read posts regarding using Allison recommended fluid like dex 3 instead of mil 10w40.

brrrap2u

Thanks Rustygears..Your avatar parking lot I know well from e-bay,is this Steve? Know about the Valvoline dextron mil spec requirements from replies. Thanks everyone for the help,will try quick fix before finding out about rebuild. Know alot of diesel mechanics so may find deal eventually,or new one if need be. Yes Dug...made it into the backyard from Slash X Ranch. The last mile or two were the worst of it,didn't really notice major change til I came off stoddard wells road.:driver:

Hoefler

Try loosening up your emergency brake. Turn the handle and get it loose-then push lever down releasing e-brake. Now try forward and back. I had a similar thing happen to my A3. The e brake was wedging a bit on rotor.
If that doesnt work-then make certain to re-adjust brake so she holds truck. Then check for trans fluid. It may be low.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try loosening up your emergency brake. Turn the handle and get it loose-then push lever down releasing e-brake. Now try forward and back. I had a similar thing happen to my A3. The e brake was wedging a bit on rotor.
If that doesnt work-then make certain to re-adjust brake so she holds truck. Then check for trans fluid. It may be low.
I thought of the parking brake also, but the OP said that the truck rolls freely forward and reverse, which would eliminate the parking brake.

brrrap2u

Yep thought I had emergency brake hung, but spun it, adjusted it, and was free and worked fine. Then thought I had rear shoe or spring or something hanging the rear wheels,especially after I got it home and put it in reverse and it backed up just fine. Sure I just ran it low. Now I looked at my floorboard and there is no access hole dipstick there. unless it is under the screwed down rubber floor mats? Checked it by dipstick in engine compartment and tm's are sketchy on this sight. for the A3. Thanks again everyone this is a great sight for me!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks