• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 info needed?

flyxpl

I drove my A3 on 324 mile recovery . The fastest I could go was about 50-52 indicated by the speedo . Any faster and it wanted to shake . I have read that a guy got rid of all the ctis garbage and his shaking went away . My tires are about 50-60% . My 52 mph indicated speed was actually 48 mph by gps . The tire wear cost me about 4 mph . I don't remember any rpm vrs. mph figures .

lonegunman

You could get rid of the CTIS crap and maybe gain a little speed but you still run up against gearing and revs. I manage about 48-50mph at 2500-2600rpm. The tech data maxs rpm at 2700 and the true red line of the engine is 2900 rpm. There is no reason to flog the engine for a few mph unless you like buying Cat engines. Mine runs really good at that rpm and gets suprisingly good gas mileage. My last 200 mile cruise averaged 12mpg with twenty miles of off road in the mix.

I've put over 3,000 miles on my truck this year with no problems, it runs great. I swapped the trans to ATF when I bought the thing and serviced everything. My front tires were 100% the rears 80%, over all the truck has a few dings and some minor surface rust to clean up.

Last edited:

citizensoldier

The CAT dealer says there is a number missing on the Fuel/water separator numbers I was given early in this thread.
I have CAT 73-9763 He says there should be a number before the 73? Maybe this is why I can not cross reference it at Napa or Carquest.. Anybody have the right number for this?

flyxpl

The CAT dealer says there is a number missing on the Fuel/water separator numbers I was given early in this thread.
I have CAT 73-9763 He says there should be a number before the 73? Maybe this is why I can not cross reference it at Napa or Carquest.. Anybody have the right number for this?
# on mine is 7E - 9763

citizensoldier

Well I made it guys..Thanks for all the help. It ran 50 to 52MPH at 2600RPM's, 180 engine temp and about the same on trans for 780 miles.. Shakes rattles and rolls up at 50MPH so I am a bit wore out and still trying to find one kidney.. I think it flipped off the passenger seat and is lodged behind the gun ring reinforcement.. My wife was right! I want one now! She changed her tune when she heard that it was a auto with power steering so she could drive it for groceries and park next the Escalades.. lol..
It did get very good millage like the A2's.. I bet I averaged 12 MPG but have not ran the math yet.
Every filter on it was new and the oil was honey color.. A complete service job and then turned in.
One thing that was weird was a very hard to push brake pedal?? Are yours like that? You had to really push to get them to work and hold some serious pressure at a stop. Is this because of the double master cylinder?

flyxpl

The brakes on my A3 are just as you described . My A2's seem to stop with much less pressure on the pedal .
I just figured that the A3 brakes may need servicing . I have not had time to take a look at them yet . Another possibility is the larger tires just take more to get stopped .

Last edited:

citizensoldier

It was a shock the first time I had to really lay on them.. Do they have different brake shoes and wheel cylinders than a A2? The Allison kicks in and down shifts helping you stop but my little Korean wife would have to stand on them in a emergency situation if I get one.. Seems like the airpack would assist more?

AceHigh

Shakes rattles and rolls up at 50MPH so I am a bit wore out and still trying to find one kidney.
Ha, funny you said that! After I recovered mine wife asked what I was going to name it- It now has "Shake Rattle & Roll" painted on both sides.

I am pleased to hear all of them have the brake issue. It brakes much worse than the A2 models, and that with two air packs.

renovate7

When I got my A2 (I'm now waiting for the paperwork to clear on the A3) the brakes were just as you described. I pulled the small plug on the back of the brake booster and shot some pnuematic nail gun oil in there. It took a little while but the brakes became AOK. I think the piston in the booster may be stuck or is hanging up from sitting for a long period of time...When I get the A3 I plan on breaking into the various air systems (power steering, brakes, CTIS) and squirting some oil in there. The are lots of seals that have been sitting for a while, the worst thing you can do to them.

A3 man

Thanks for your info. But I picked up a napa 1971 oil filter and the filter was wider than the painted one I took off and the hole in the center was much larger . At the napa store I had them cross over the fram A- 49 filter and it came up #1791. I've got the fram filter on now but the napa # 1791 it seems to be the right size

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks