• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 lost power and now nothing

Timberwolf22

I was on the way up to the Rausch Creek so prepped the M35a3 for the 2 hour drive. Fueled up and drove almost all the way there with no issue. On the final 15 minutes of the trip the Deuce started to stall and loose power so pulled over to get her to some place safe before the engine died.

Even though my gauge read 1/2 tank you can never "trust your fuel gauge" so I dumped some additional diesel in her but no luck.

Climbed under the engine and pulled the fuel air separator, heard a hiss of air, and then I was able to restart and begin to drive again but only for another 5 minutes before losing power again and the engine died. That trick worked once more but going up a hill she decided that was enough and the engine died. I have not been able to restart.

Spun off the fuel filter and looked for any clogs, bleed each of the fuel lines and when I attempt to start I am getting fuel up to the pump.

No leaks.... oil levels good, nothing abnormal on the gauges and no other issues with the truck at all since I have been driving her but this was really her first multi-hour trip.

Next steps are to replace the fuel filter, and pull the check valve on the fuel tank itself....

Looking for any other advice on where to go next.

Thanks

Todd

joshs1ofakindxj

Hey I was the guy wheeling the camo jeep cherokee that came over to say hello yesterday morning at RC. Sorry about the bad luck. Hope you got the truck fixed or towed home by now.

Triple C

A fast check of the fuel system would be to put a 5gal marine tank full of fuel on the roof top, run a line with an inline filter to the IP, prime it and see if she starts. That would tell you a lot. Did that on my 97 diesel pickup and it gave me a good idea where to start looking.

lonegunman

I am also voting fuel issues. If you can swap fuel filters and bleed lines I'd do that. I took my A3 out for moving day last Saturday and put four hours on it with no problems, since it is winter, I drain the filters when she is warming up to check for moisture.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
My a3 did the same thing,I replaced all the filters ,still did the same thing.I think it was algae in the fuel.I added some stuff to the fuel tank that kills algae.No problems since.

Hoefler

Same vote on check valve in elbow on top of tank. If you had lots of light colored smoke out of the exhaust, may be indicator of fuel starving. Happened on mine. Took the elbow off and found gel like stuff in it that prevented movement of check valve. Simple and fast fix-just take it off and spray with cleaner. You will need to prime system with compressed air to get her going again.
Pete

Timberwolf22

Wanted to thank everyone for the Posts and PM's.... I will be onsite all day tomorrow working on the M35a3 and will update with the results.

Hope to have everything up and runnning to then swing over to the Jim Thorpe MV Rally.

Thanks,
Todd

Thunder in NWOR

Gradual reduction of power (with stalling at the extreme) = fuel filter problem.
Happend to me twice.
Cut the fuel filters apart, and from gunk inside, don't know how she ran as long as she did...!

Timberwolf22

Still having some issues with M35a3. Changed fuel filter and disasembled fule lines at the tank and cleaned out the gunk at the valves but she still will not turn over.

Any recommendations on bleeding the system or other thoughts?

Todd

Hoefler

You may not have the system primed. It will not self prime. I wrecked a starter trying to get mine to go after a filter change and check valve clean.
What I did to get here going was the following:
Open petcock on bottom of fuel filter. Pack rag around fuel filler to form a crude seal-then use compressed air blown into fuel tank to push fuel so it comes out of petcock. Once fuel comes out of percock, close valve, then try to push fuel through filter by blowing pressurized air into fuel tank with rag as a seal.
Now try to start.
This worked for me.
Pete

Timberwolf22

Thanks - all I am currently getting is low volumes of white smoke out the stack. But there is a good amount of fuel in the fuel filter pulling that release valve on the fuel filter - a bunch of fuel comes out.

Todd

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had exactly the same symptoms with my A3. I am in agreement with the other posts on the checkvalve in the elbow on top of the tank. However, be very careful taking it apart. You need two wrenches, as the assembly is somewhat fragile and you can twist it off very easily. I replaced the filter and no improvement. After cleaning the check valve, it fired right up and no problems since. This is a very common problem with A3s. I know that CAT 3116 engines in civilian use have other check valves in the fuel system - not sure about the A3. I think anyone buying an A3 should clean the check valve regardless whether they have had problems.

Hoefler

Sounds like fuel starvation or maybe air. I had a leak on my fuel lines in and around the fuel filter on engine. Check this area and maybe carefully tighten the fittings if you have leaking or drips.

green machine

There is also a check valve up on the engine. Driverside where the feed fuel line goes on the lift pump might want to clean it too. Be careful as u can pull the threads out of the piece the valve screws into I learned the hard way.

motomacguyver

This does sound like a fuel delivery issue to me, However I had an intermittent problem with starting, NOT running ...and it was ultimately the fuel shut off switch. Check to see if it will run on either, with the cold start bottle full. If she runs for a few seconds, and quits, it must be a fuel related problem. I wound up bypassing the fuel cut off switch and she fired right up!!! I replaced the switch, and no problems since.

Timberwolf22

Now it is time to replace the check valve on the fuel tank since I limped home without it. Anyone have a good source for a M35a3 fuel line check valve...... I will now carry a spare as well.

Going up a hill with a fuel line issue is a slow painful adventure.

Todd

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks