• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

goodguyzy

a new record high number? 505519

Is that your truck? That would be the last one for sure.

Also 250 on trans temp doesn't seem right to me, driving in the nevada desert in august I hit 225 max and then it seems the fan comes on when either the engine hits 200 or trans hits 225. But im not expert, that's just a observation of 1000 mile road trip.

CanonNinja

negative, i saw it on GL a few weeks back, in PR

and yeah the tranny temp seems high. even when my truck was retardedly low on fluid after blowing the tranny filter seal, i think i barely saw 165ish

colo_deuce

FNG here.....

Brought my A3 w/w home from a local seller in CO on 1/7.

SN 500443, green cat motor.....

Tranny has 15-40W now, from the look of it, and on the way home the tranny stayed under 200 until I got home. I live on a 1.5 mile private road that has a 600' vertical climb, basically a steep mountain road and it got to 275 on the drive up. I was surprised how quickly the tranny temp went up. Engine temp didn't move but the tranny sure did quickly. I'll see what happens in low range next time. The tranny temp on my '01 F350 will climb some too but not that fast.

I love the A3 so far. My first MV. Learning a lot here but still drinking from the firehose.

One thing I need to address is the air line to the engine fan is in the way of the fan. There must be something that holds it out of the way? I'll figure it out.

Now if I can just get the CO DMV to title and license.......

wyocommo

New A3 Owner, CTIS Question

Hello All,
New owner of A3 #5013380. Only issue with truck seems to be a completely dead CTIS. After reading every post on the site concerning CTIS, I have the following questions:
1. I live in Casper, WY and I just wonder if having the CTIS fully operational will give me any real benefits in this high desert terrain? Is there really superior traction to be had in snow or sand by airing down the tires???
2. Its plenty cold here in the winter and it appears that the CTIS seals may be particularly probematic in this cold environment. Is it worth the work to keep it operational?

I suspect the truck will be driven less than 1K miles a year and I don't do any really gonzo off road work or rock climbing. I do value reliability more than ultimate performance. ( Try breaking down 45 miles off of the pavement and reliability will get your attention really quick)

Tnx in advance for opinions.

motomacguyver

Hello All,
New owner of A3 #5013380. Only issue with truck seems to be a completely dead CTIS. After reading every post on the site concerning CTIS, I have the following questions:
1. I live in Casper, WY and I just wonder if having the CTIS fully operational will give me any real benefits in this high desert terrain? Is there really superior traction to be had in snow or sand by airing down the tires???
2. Its plenty cold here in the winter and it appears that the CTIS seals may be particularly probematic in this cold environment. Is it worth the work to keep it operational?

I suspect the truck will be driven less than 1K miles a year and I don't do any really gonzo off road work or rock climbing. I do value reliability more than ultimate performance. ( Try breaking down 45 miles off of the pavement and reliability will get your attention really quick)

Tnx in advance for opinions.
Lower tire pressure will drastically help where you want to go. (Expressed in sand) However I think it would be easier and lest costly to just buy an adjustable psi set point air regulator (30$) and 6-7 of the clip on tire chucks (2-3$). Attach it all together EXTERNALLY in a redneck manifold (10$) and a bunch of external hose, and save your self the pain and $$$$$ of the stock system. Set the regulator at "x” and go have coffee while you tires air up/down. Than go driving! We could easily have several hundred dollar and 20-60 hours tied up in the internal system.

wyocommo

I probably will spend a lot more time in snow than sand. Does the lower pressure produce a noticeable increase in traction in snow? I have seen the redneck manifold thing done recently and it didnt seem to be to much of a problem if you aren't going to transition from soft ground to pavement too frequently.

My CTIS controller is comletely 'dark' at the moment. Don't know if that is an ominous sign or not, yet!

Don't have these issues with my A2 but I kind of like the 'girly' features of the A3 so far. I plan on moving the A2's M66 ring and hard top with ring access port over on to the A3 when the weather gives me a break.

tnx for the input.

Hoefler

Understand how the CTIS works-its hard on axel seals. The system is vulnerable to ice in the lines. Further, it takes a long time to pump up the tires-the CTIS takes a while to minimize the stress it puts on axel seals (they become pressurized on the inside when tire is being pumped up). As far as traction goes, dont know how well the Michelins do in the snow. The tread is wide with large contact blocks-not the best for snow. I would go for a set of Goodyear 395's-better for snow and taller.
You will like the A3. With transmission flush you will find shifting feels better and temps lower. The heaters are pretty good too.
Had to adjust the way my wipers worked-the drivers side one came to rest in my field of vision-easy to adjust the way they work.

Hoefler

Almost forgot-it is imperative you check your fuel tank check valve. It is a sure source of a fuel starve potential problem. The main tank feed sits on top of the large bolt on flange on top of tank. The 90 degree elbow at top needs to be removed to expose an internal check valve. This valve will probably be gummed up. Clean it well and make sure it moves freely. If it does not, it can get stuck and reduce fuel flow. Its an easy 10 minute job-do it. I found mine full gumbo factor. It casued me to have to limp home with truck. Also, dump some biocide fuel bacteria killer in the tank. These truck sat with fuel in the tanks-bacteria grows. After doing my trans flush, the biocide, the check valve, fuel filter and new O-rings around where the fuel filter is, mine is a great runner. Total investment-20 bucks for the fuel stuff and 100 bucks for the trans flush and filter. Make certain you get the right trans fluid.

YOUNG GUN

I like the idea of the CTIS, but I started with some issues.
When I got my truck, if I turned on the CTIS the tires would all drop to about 25 PSI and stay there, even when running on HWY mode.

At that point, it was time to talk to someone who built the system.

After sending an email, and talking with someone that wasn't very helpful at CM Automotive, the OWNER of CM Automotive called me about 1 week later and he is extremely good with these systems (as he should be) and VERY helpful.

I explained the symptoms to him, and he told me to send him my manifold, the ECU, and one of the wheel valves.
He said he would troubleshoot and repair them if I paid for shipping, which I was delighted to do!!!

I recently got the parts back from him, and he called me to explain what they checked, and what they rebuilt; the ECU was perfect, they rebuilt the manifold, and rebuilt my wheel valve.

He also suggested that I go through the whole system before putting the parts back on; clean, inspect, and replace if needed all the airlines, fittings, hub seals, etc.

He said after I go through it all, and put the rebuilt parts back on, go ahead and run the system, and if theres any issues at all he will continue to help me until my CTIS is running properly.

In general, I think it's a good system that does not work properly for most of us, due to lack of maintenance from the military, and these trucks sitting for who knows how long without use.2cents

I plan on making mine fully operational and reliable with his help, and will let you all know how it turns out when I'm done. (I have not had a chance to go through everything yet, but I will soon enough).

MANY THANKS to the owner of CM Automotive, it's great to know someone cares about the product they sell, even if it's 16 years later:-D

YOUNG GUN

Young Gun, was that recently? I'd like to think if I need help with mine they'll be there even as a third party owner. Very nice of him!
I sent him my parts about 3 weeks ago, and they came back to me about 6 days later.
So, very recently.

Great guy to deal with, very friendly, and he knows his stuff.

You don't come across someone willing to do what he's done very often, especially when he did'nt even sell the stuff to me in the first place!

When my system is all finished, I plan on sending him something very nice as a token of my appreciation:-D

wyocommo

Wow,
Thats way above and beyond the call of duty! I can only hope to provide that level of service in my business!
I would imagine one of the benefits of dealing with OD iron is that it is, above all things, durable.

In the communications business, 15 year devices are almost impossible to maintain.

Still, Kudos to CT for preserving their reputation, even when it hurts.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as traction goes, dont know how well the Michelins do in the snow. The tread is wide with large contact blocks-not the best for snow. I would go for a set of Goodyear 395's-better for snow and taller.
Pete,
The 14.5 X 20 Michelins do really great in the snow. we had several feet of snow last year and my F-150 4X4 was stranded. My A3 with the Michelins climbed right through the snow and was our only transportation the 10 miles to town for a few days. Made my wife like it better! The tires were pressurized at 55 psi. That being said, my A2 with 9:00 NDTs also did great, but not quite as good as the A3.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caveats on the CTIS being operated in cold weather.

1. The CTIS should never be used below +20 F. and the ECU should be turned off.
2. Above +20 F. the CTIS should not be used (ECU turned off) before the truck is driven a minimum of 3 - 5 miles.
3. Anytime the CTIS is not being used, the ECU should be turned off.
4. Operating the CTIS in cold temperatures causes premature failure of the seals in the hub.

This information came from both the -10 TM and from C-M Automotive. By the way, I also agree that C-M is a great company. Early in 2011 they shipped me a brand new CTIS wheel valve free of charge and spent a lot of time on the phone with me.

wyocommo

Gary, Pete & Moto
Well all things considered I think I will not repair or use the system.
Winter time is my primary use of the vehicle and its below +20F virtually everytime I use the vehicle.
I think I will just build the redneck manifold assembly and keep it in the truck.

One other item,,,,I noticed the military uses a 24 volt impact that connects to the slave port. Is that because there is not enough air to run a 3/4" air impact?

Thanks again for all of the CTIS info.
Mark

trukhead

I like the idea of the CTIS, but I started with some issues.
When I got my truck, if I turned on the CTIS the tires would all drop to about 25 PSI and stay there, even when running on HWY mode.

At that point, it was time to talk to someone who built the system.

After sending an email, and talking with someone that wasn't very helpful at CM Automotive, the OWNER of CM Automotive called me about 1 week later and he is extremely good with these systems (as he should be) and VERY helpful.

I explained the symptoms to him, and he told me to send him my manifold, the ECU, and one of the wheel valves.
He said he would troubleshoot and repair them if I paid for shipping, which I was delighted to do!!!

I recently got the parts back from him, and he called me to explain what they checked, and what they rebuilt; the ECU was perfect, they rebuilt the manifold, and rebuilt my wheel valve.

He also suggested that I go through the whole system before putting the parts back on; clean, inspect, and replace if needed all the airlines, fittings, hub seals, etc.

He said after I go through it all, and put the rebuilt parts back on, go ahead and run the system, and if theres any issues at all he will continue to help me until my CTIS is running properly.

In general, I think it's a good system that does not work properly for most of us, due to lack of maintenance from the military, and these trucks sitting for who knows how long without use.2cents

I plan on making mine fully operational and reliable with his help, and will let you all know how it turns out when I'm done. (I have not had a chance to go through everything yet, but I will soon enough).

MANY THANKS to the owner of CM Automotive, it's great to know someone cares about the product they sell, even if it's 16 years later:-D
I use the CTIS every time I take trucky out on gopher patrol around the farm. I found the line to the left front wheel kinked and leaked and I found the brass-compression splice fitting for $8 to fix that. I have found it takes about 3-5 minutes to inflate from emergency to highway mode. I think frequent use excercises the parts and hopefully will keep moisture at bay. I recently discovered the air drains and although I had used the one visible from the side, I did not notice the 2 on the tanks nestled in the frame. Needles to say apiece of stiff wire, some warm days and repeated drainings, the CTIS functions well in spite of the red snot that came out of the tanks. I will be installing a fresh haldex filter this spring =summer as well. I have had good luck with the CTIS. I like the CTIS.

:driver: fat lady sings

Hoefler

Gary,
I am still waiting for our first snow so I can try the Michelins out. Minnesota and no snow yet-maybe Al Gore is on vacation here!
I have one A3 with the Goodyears and the other with the Michelins. I cant wait to try them in the snow, especially if it makes my wife more willing to ride in them. In the past when we have had a great snow storm, we have always enjoyed going out in it in my pick up-it will be lots more fun in the A3. Thanks for the report on the tires-I will give her a go when Mother Nature gets of her duff.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks