• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 pics

beaubeau

I don't think they are UGLY at all, compared to the late model Commercial trucks!! Comfort is another thing. I do like the old INTL. 1960-1977 KW and even GMC looked good compared to todays trucks. And lets not forget about the simplicity, and cost of keeping them running compared to todays newer trucks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least they could have kept the hood level and even maintain the A2 side panels by raising the cab 2". Or try to find a lower radiator, or.....:roll:
It's not only looks IMHO, for the driver it would also help shorten (a few inches) the blind area behind the nose...

G.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind, there is not just a larger radiator under the hood of it, there is also a charge air cooler adding to the depth of the cooling package, and, most likely a trans cooler.

Mark3395

My '99 A3 doesn't have the spliced hood. It has a single piece hood. I think earlier trucks were made with A2 hoods that were widened and lengthened to fit the larger engine compartment.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that caution sign should apply to all diesel engines but specially the ones with turbo, to help avoid oil coking on the hot side bearing/seal.
Its just another way of reminding the driver for the cool down period.

G.

Yes Gringeltaube is right. It really applies to all diesels, its kind of like when someone just comes up and starts a truck and takes off, or drives it and shuts it off the second they park it. The engine will not last as long as if they let it warm up and shut down properly.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gringeltaube said:
I think that caution sign should apply to all diesel engines but specially the ones with turbo, to help avoid oil coking on the hot side bearing/seal.
Its just another way of reminding the driver for the cool down period..G.
There is no cool down period if the engine never gets hot. I'm assuming that they refer to start-up, perhaps I'm wrong....
I think the turbo warning is for a different situation, to let it spool down without running out of oil pressure.
Getting the engine to "normal" operating temp can take a while in cold weather. I'll continue to check on this since the decal was not used on the multifuels. I agree that it may have something to do with different parts of the engine being at different temperatures, but the question is, what is the potential damage?

Attachments

randyscycle

Generally on any engine, gas or diesel, it isn't a good idea to shut down if the temp is higher than normal.

The reason being, that when you shut a really hot engine down, first, the water stops circulationg, so the temp will climb even higher for a few more minutes afterward. Ever watched a mechanical temp guage after a shutdown even at normal engine temperature?

With heat, metal parts expand, and things like pistons expand at a different rate than the cylinder liners.

Along with that, you can also cook off the lubricating oil on the cylinder walls and the valve guides and stems, rendering them dry upon next start-up for a monent or two.

It may take a number of these kind of cycles, but seeing as how many of these trucks were deployed in the Middle East, I suspect that is why they had those warnings in place.

Here in VA you'd probably never have much of a worry unless you just crossed the mountains full-throttle on a 98 degree day with a full load and shut it down immediately afterward.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone is interested in a M35A3 in Barstow, CA I am selling one. I should be receiving the EUC in the next couple of weeks. Due to family issues I am not going to be able to bring it back to OK.

Warthog

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see that, my assumption was that it was during start-up, that's the reason for the question. The Cat engine probably runs hotter than the multi then.

Based on what I see in the FMTV manual, it has to do with an overheated engine....I withdraw the question....

BobS

The Cat 3116 that was used in the A3 is not cooled very well (the original proposal trucks from BMY did not even have a transmission cooler installed!!) and the turbo would burn up the cartridge bearings in short order after a hot shutdown.

SIDEBAR-the trans cooler later retrofitted and then installed OEM on the A3's was a tube and shell oil to water cooler and not an oil-to-air cooler in front of the radiator.

Best regards,

Bob

ADDENDUM: The CAT 3116 engine was a short lived offering from CAT. It was replaced commercially with the 3126, used in the FMTV series. In commercial expediting service, the 3116/and 3126 have proven to be ........ ummmmm....."problematical".

jim-m35a2

Air cooled or liquid cooled engines need to cool down before shutting them off or parts will warp with the excess heat. The turbos are spinning at 60,000+ RPM's and if the engine is turned off, after running it, the turbos have to spool down without any lubrication and that is very hard on the bearings.
________
You **** Tube

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks