• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 reverse / backup lights .........switch, sequence???

Jeep Nasty

Is there any special sequence of events that need to occur to get these to turn on.I replaced both the bulbs on the reverse lights in my m35a3, that were blown. I just want to make sure there is not a special order of switches, brake lever, shifter that have to be done in order for them to turn on, before I start tearing into other things to find the issue. I assume there is a switch in the shift tower that I will be looking at next. Any common culprits on this. I'm trying to get my inspection sticker this week and tying up some loose ends.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever downloaded and read TM 9-2320-386-10, the basic operators manual?

Jeep Nasty

I have 3 kids under the age of 3 and full time job that requires aproxx 60 hours of my time a week. I wish I had time to read a 250 manual on driving my "toy" but its not really in the cards. That why I asked.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not sound like you will have time to safely maintain your truck then.

Might consider selling it before you get hurt, or hurt someone else.

Jeep Nasty

Thanks for the second back handed comment, instead of just answering the question if you do know the answer. I know I was addressing a huge safety hazard that endangered other motorist with my reverse lights.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you be upset is some guy you didn't know, was driving by your house with his nifty surplus truck(toy) and one of his 14.00-20 tires came off(because he didn't take the time to read and understand the TM, and maintain his truck properly) and it rolled through your lawn and hit and killed one of your under 3 year old children?

Reactions: HDN

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I should assume that you do know all you need to know, to properly maintain it, just you didn't know they do not have reverse lights?

Oh.

I hate to sound like I am picking on you(in particular), but honestly, some people should not own and operate trucks.

Jeep Nasty

"Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to program my radio on my 2013 Chevy silverado?"

Response: "for heaven's sake, read the owners manual before you get someone killed you maniac, or return it to the dealership."

FYI, I fairly competent with vehicle maintenance and safety, thus my goal of obtaining State safety inspection sticker to ensure my vehicle is safe to be on the road per the RSA's of New Hampshire. What I was doing was asking a technical question about wiring which I did try to search for through the PDF TM without any luck.

Jeep Nasty

well would it be unreasonable to assume that the white lights on the rear of a vehicle that do not seem to have an independent switch might be some type of a backup light that could be switched by place the vehicle in reverse?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did that state inspection check for properly maintained wheel bearings? Lug nut torque? Back up lights?

Your the one that said you didn't have time to read the TM, not me.

Now you did?

Jeep Nasty

I said i used the search function on the PDF without any luck, I still maintain that I have not had the luxury of reading the manual cover to cover. Anyway thanks for the help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had read a TM for a vehicle that you obviously are unfamiliar with, you would know that it has no backup lights, or if you had missed that fact, you would have known that the lowest portion of the tail lamps is what's know as the blackout lamp.

One again, reverse lights were not required for that safety inspection?

Jeep Nasty

I am not referring to the lowest portion of the taillight, I am referring to the 2 backup lights mounted on the back. they look like this.
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/baliform301.html
also the state of NH requires that if they are present, they must work.

If you had read a TM for a vehicle that you obviously are unfamiliar with, you would know that it has no backup lights, or if you had missed that fact, you would have known that the lowest portion of the tail lamps is what's know as the blackout lamp.

One again, reverse lights were not required for that safety inspection?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, now I have a delema.

Would you like me to apoligise in a PM, or on this thread?

Would you like me to delete all the crap and leave just the correct info?

Your call.

I clearly misunderstood both your question and the fact they have reverse lights(I did look quickly in the TM).

Your reply about not having time to read the TM, sent me in the wrong direction and off topic.

I'm sorry I replied as I did.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typically there is a pressure switch on the side of the automatic transmission that looks like a oil pressure switch. When in reverse it get gets pressure closing the switch completing the circuit.

I do not have your truck, nor have seen that model, but that is how they are normally set up on "most" vehicles with an automatic.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was your(does it need to be) 3 lever switch in service drive, when you tested for the reverse lights?