• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 seed

Welder Sam

As bad as i hate to ask anything, im going to ask. First tho, if u dont like the way i type, move on. Second, if i wanted to listen to preaching abt how evil i am, id have gone to church or just talked to my exwife. THIRD AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF U HAVE A CONSTRUCTIVE ON TOPIC THOUGHT PLZ ADD IT!

Ok, im comparing the A2 vs A3. They each have their ups and downs. However, how would a guy with a safe, maintained truck increase the speed or lower the cruise rpms in an A3? Re-gearing diffs and lifting/spreading isnt an option.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigger tires is about all you can do and obviously there is a limit how much bigger you can go. You can also run the tires at 55 - 60 psi. This won't make the truck go any faster, but it does ride and handle better. Minimizes the wobble as well. You are limited to 60 psi max due to this pressure being the maximum the wheels are rated for. I always run my A3 tires 55 - 60 psi. I have both an A2 and A3. If i'm going any distance, I usually take the A2 because of the increased speed. The A2 also drives more stable with none of the A3s wobble. However, I like both trucks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Turn the fuel up...more RPM=more speed.......but remember when that yaller motor comes unglued it is gonna cost you a war pension to fix it.

There is not a lot of room for improvement in the A3.....it's the nature of the beast.

The concept behind it was assinine to begin with IMHO...for what they spent rebuilding them they could have bought a lot better truck.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

michigandon

Don't these have a 1:1 transmission?

If so, then I would say converting over to an overdrive transmission would be your best bet. NOT the cheapest admittedly, but the best.

Welder Sam

Not the worst idea ive heard Don. Im not familiar with what swaps easily. Im wanting more than one and if one runs safe speeds, 60, all will run that speed. With the same tires, engine, and trans so mod costs are something im mindful of

Last edited:

olewhiskey

Gear splitter like Eric has, should nudge you up to 60+,. You can find those in the boneyards, may or may not inhibit your off roading from what I've heard(Drive line angle). The 395s are good for few more mph once you get rolling.

Welder Sam

Fair nuff.

Hope different is good er atleast ok. I read and read but a good 50% of responses are preachin or just down right ordering some to leave these as-is or simply restore. Im not down. I wont tell u what to do with ur possessions and will not allow a person filled with comp courage to dictate to me just bc all they see is a screen. Da**ed if theyd act like that to a mans face.:beer:

camp9

I've been happy with changing mine over to the 395's, and from what I understand their a much better tire than the original 14.5's

R Racing

I do believe the 395's would give you a better ride than the 15.5's But I wasn't sure if they would work on the factory rims or not ? they are the same Dia. though.

quickfarms

The engine is a cat 3116 govenor set at 2800 rpm. Max rpm is set by the govenor which is higher than the rated hp. It is best to run the engine at the rated hp rpm and not on the govenor.

The early M35A2 had a 1:1 fifth gear but the later ones had an OD.

The allison in the M35a3 is a 1545. I have not found the gear ratios for this trans but I suspect that it is the same as the 545 which is 1:1 in fourth. The tourque converter on the 5 series allisons does not lock up.

The transfer case is a rockwell T-136-27 Ratio 1:1 high and 1.98:1 low

The axle gear ratio is 6.72.

It is amazing that they took a truck with an OD trans and put a non OD trans in it without changing the gear ratios.

One option would be to put a 5 or 6 speed allison in the truck, or for that matter a regular truck trans with an od.

Another option would be to put an OD transfer case in the truck. But your low range will not be 1.98:1.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks