• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 wheel

PWM

I have done numerous searches but could not find anything. Does ne know the backspacing of the M35A3 wheel, I looks to me like 8 or 9 inches. I want to put the Michelin 14.5 R 20 single tires on my deuce but I don’t want the treat to extend past the front fenders, I want the same look as the M35A3. Looking at wheel manufactures I could only find Accuride wheels that makes a 10x 20 inch bolt together wheel but only in 10 hole not 6 hole.

Next question, has anyone bought any wheels from Stockton Wheel, their website shows a one piece wheel they make that will fit the deuce and at any backspacing. If their wheels aren’t too expensive I think that is the way I will go.

Thanks Pete

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't forget that the M35A3 wheels are 20"x11". I am curios about the backspacing too. Also the M35A3 had different hubs to allow for the central air system. I wonder if there was any spacing changes on these. USA6x6 makes 10"x20" beadlock wheels.

breelanr

The most backspacing available with the 20x10 wheels from USA6x6 is 7 inches. This leaves about 2 inches of tire past the fender in front and is even with the outside of the rear mud flaps with 14.5R20's installed. I have a set of A3 wheels on the way, but it will be several weeks until I get them. I'll post measurements once they arrive.

Attachments

breelanr

Thanks. The truck handles well with them, offroad traction and stability is vastly superior to the NDCCs. I think the 14.5R20s and singles may be the best thing the A3 brought to the table except for possibly the Air-o-matic.

breelanr

The road manners are good. They track straight and don't wander. You will notice the lugs when crawling (1-3 mph) on pavement, the truck will have a distinct up/down motion - this smooths out completely once you get rolling. There is a howl from the tires at speed, but you really can't hear it in the truck. The tread wear seems to be better than the NDCCs, I have measured about 1/32nd inch of wear per 1000 miles on the front and forward/rear tires. The rear/rear axle is my drive and wears 2-3 times as fast. I run 55psi front, 35psi rear (without a load). The steering requires a little more effort, but actually feels more precise on the highway.

PWM

Ray your truck looks great, any information would be appreciated. Unless I forgot my math a 9 inch backspace should put the tire about even with the fender, if a 7 inch backspace puts the tire 2 inches past. I like the idea of being able to take the wheels apart in the field but I think I can live with one piece wheels. Mounting should be easy for my local truck shop and should not have any problems with leaks. In the next few weeks I will contact Stockton wheel and get a quote for 7 wheels. I will let you all know what I find out. Hopefully I wont have to mortgage the house to get them, shipping is going to be the killer.

Thanks Pete.

breelanr

Pete,
I agree with your math - 9 inch backspace will align the front tires with the fender and will leave you about 4 inches from the edge of the bed in the rear. I originally thought I'd get excessive splash-back from the tires extending past the fender, (it's terrible with my Wrangler) but has not been a problem, even with all of the recent snow melt.

I could see taking combat rims apart in the field, but taking the USA6x6 wheels apart...I'd carry a second spare.

Ethan,
Several other angles...

Attachments

breelanr

The A3 wheels were installed on a M109 I bought on GL.

With the front and forward/rear axle disconnected I saw about a 1 mpg increase during highway driving. I average 9.4 with the '82 but the IP is turned up on that truck. I have gotten 12.2 with my '66 disconnected and no load, but it has a fresh motor and depot IP settings.

Attachments

breelanr

YankeeDuece said:
Will a 14.50R20 spare fit in the normal spot w/14.50's mounted on the truck?
Yes...If mounted on an A3 wheel. The backspace on a USA6x6 wheel is not enough to allow the tire to bolt-up without hitting the tire-jack handle.

It is a tight fit with an A3 wheel, the tire diameter just makes it.
I plan to put mine in the bed like they are in the 5-tons.

Attachments

PWM

Well I got a quote back from Stockton wheel for the 10x20 with 9 inches of backspacing. $395 per wheel, no way I can afford that and then pay for shipping. I will have to figure something else out.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ray thanks for posting those pics of your truck. I like that size of tire on the M35. Much larger seams to just be too big except on a 5ton.

Here are some pics I took of A3 rims/tire on a A3.

Attachments

breelanr

builder77 said:
Ray thanks for posting those pics of your truck. I like that size of tire on the M35. Much larger seams to just be too big except on a 5ton.

Here are some pics I took of A3 rims/tire on a A3.
Ethan,
I really thought about running 46" (385 95R20) tires, then changed to the 44" (14.5R20) for these reasons:

1. The Deuce lacks power already - the larger the tire, the greater the additional power loss. Running 44" tires seemed to be a good balance.

2. Limited upward suspension travel with 46" tires. I can stuff a 44" in the rear and just make contact with the bottom of the bed.

3. 11.00-20s are almost the same height as the 14.5R20s. You can use a 5-ton speedo adapter and have a fairly accurate speedometer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks