• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 wobble

harry

I get this wobble that comes and goies it happens at speed 45+ feels like truck is moving side to side can feel it in sreering wheel but dont think it coming from front tires ,if I slow down a bit and speed up again its ok for a wile ,

you think could be when rear tires get in a certian synce, that this happens

maybe runflat rubbers are not centered

Thanks for help Harry

Monkeyboyarmy

Is that play with the truck running or not.The valve for the power assist steering has a little play in it when there is no air pressure going to it.

rwonsala

I have an M35A3C and mine does the samething. I was told that it is a tire balance problem. I installed extra lug nuts opposite the CTIS shields and that fixed my problem. :idea: Try about 5-7 lug nuts. :wink:

rwoods

Harry, when I picked up my A3 it would almost change lanes with wobbling. Check your toe-in. Mine was almost two inches toed out.

Also mine had the air assist cutoff valve closed (located at the firewall).

Hope this helps.

harry

I can take my hands off wheel when its wolbing ,still goies fairly straight

I will check toe in, might need a little
the lug nuts good idea
can a truck tire shop spin balance on truck?

was missing a rear wheel counter weight ,added one made no difference
Thanks for help Harry

jatonka

If your truck has more than 10,000 miles on odometer, the steering box is going bad. You can adjust it a bit, but not enough to cure the problem. The larger tires tear up the original design steering box in a hurry. Army didn't check this out too well. JT out

DUECE-COUPE

the A3 has a counter weight on the rim opposite of the CTIS valve. if your is missing, it will have a out of balance feeling. the extra nuts might fix it, but the right fix is the counter wieght, or delete the valve all together. if the CTIS works, you can make the weights, but i may have some if you will pay for the frieght

harry

I replaced missing counter weight ,no change
my stering box has a leak ( around steering arm shaft ) Going to replace gaskets and seal in spring ,to cold outside to work on now,
Their about 4000 miles on gage I wonder if they replaced steering box when they did the conversion to A3 ? CTIS works fine , little tip, spray lube around were wheels bolt
together water will sit between rim hafes cause little surface rust and work it way under Oring seal ,and you will get a slow leak

mktopside

Banned
Dragging up old topics again. My A3 does the same thing, it definitely is coming from the rear. All tire counter weights are in place. Honestly, it seems to only do this for the first few miles, then it goes away. I wonder if it has anything to do with CTIS and tire pressure. I almost feel if I let it warm up for a while (the CTIS has a chance to fill the tires) I don't feel it, but if I drive it right away I feel it.

RANDYDIRT

Your tires will flat spot from sitting. Once you get it moving and the tires warm up, the "out of round" effect will diminish.

Dirt

mktopside

Banned
Yea, it's really strange. It "feels" scary, but doesn't really effect the way it drives. Not consistent either, it seems to only do it 50% of the time. Anyone ever try golf balls in the tires to balance?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For what it's worth, I've got three A3 counterweights laying around if anyone needs them. Just pay for the ride.

mktopside

Banned
For what it's worth, I've got three A3 counterweights laying around if anyone needs them. Just pay for the ride.
I might take you up on that. But first I've gotta correct the mistakes of the GL special needs employee that mounted all 6 tires in the same direction. Half the tires are directionally correct, and the other half face the other way. I can't see how this would cause this specific issue, but it's wrong and I should fix it before I continue.

I got 6 new o-rings from erik's, but I am really dreading doing this. I just have this sick feeling that flipping three tires is going to be a royal pain in the butt.

renovate7

I also have the 45 mph wobble. Not there at 42, seems to smooth out if I get to 50. A local truck tire place told me who in the area can spin balance the front tires on the vehicle. I also have 2 rear tires "facing the wrong direction". They want $50 each to dismount and and remount the tires. When I'm ready I think that may be money well spent versus doing it myself.