• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 wobble

mktopside

Banned
I chased this down on an A3 I bobbed. Here is a pic of the fix. The add 5 lug nuts opposite the CTIS weight. The center stud will have one and the two on either side will have 2 ea. There is not a lot of thread sticking out so the first layer nut you put on goes on normal but the second one goes on backwards. Use right hand twist deuce lug nuts.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
I want to play around with adding nuts to adjust the balance, but I don't want to spend a ton of $$ ordering a bunch of lug nuts and paying for shipping. Does anyone know the thread pitch and size of the lug nuts on the A3?

AceHigh

Hmmm, mine is one town away right now. I gotta check this out! I would think instead of lugs maybe one can just get off the shelf bolts at Fastenal. Those are big ones, 1 1/2 socket IIRC.

mktopside

Banned
Hmmm, mine is one town away right now. I gotta check this out! I would think instead of lugs maybe one can just get off the shelf bolts at Fastenal. Those are big ones, 1 1/2 socket IIRC.
I know the "lug nuts" are LH thread and RH thread on opposite sides of the vehicle, but I "assume" all of the bolts that hold the wheel together all tighten to the right.

After I get through my morning rush of customers I'll try to run out to the truck to make sure.

AceHigh

I know the "lug nuts" are LH thread and RH thread on opposite sides of the vehicle, but I "assume" all of the bolts that hold the wheel together all tighten to the right.

After I get through my morning rush of customers I'll try to run out to the truck to make sure.
You are right! I need another cup of coffee. Thanks. It will still be 39 large nuts. Worth a try.

mktopside

Banned
Some extrapolation here for everyones info:

Part number for a right side lug nut - MS51983-2

5310-01-045-3709 NSN Information

BZRR THREAD SERIES UNF
CQJX NOMINAL THREAD SIZE 0.750 INCHES
CMLP THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH 16
AAJD THREAD CLASS 2B
AAJF THREAD DIRECTION RIGHT-HAND
MATT MATERIAL STEEL OVERALL
SFTT SURFACE TREATMENT CADMIUM OR ZINC OVERALL
STDC SURFACE TREATMENT DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATION QQ-P-416 TY 2 CL2 FED SPEC 1ST TREATMENT RESPONSE OR QQ-Z-325 TY 2 CL 2 FED SPEC 2ND TREATMENT RESPONSE OVERALL
CQFM HARDNESS RATING NOT RATED
ACTA NUT STYLE A8 SINGLE BALL SEAT, HEXAGON
ACTC BALL SEAT RADIUS 0.875 INCHES NOMINAL

ADEA NUT HEIGHT 0.870 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.890 INCHES MAXIMUM
ASDB WIDTH ACROSS FLATS 1.465 INCHES NOMINAL
AZKQ TEMP RATING NOT RATED
SR-1 MANUFACTURERS CODE 58536
SR-1 NON-DEFINITIVE GOVERNMENT SPEC/STD REFERENCE A-A-52427
SR-1 MANUFACTURERS CODE 58536
SR-1 DEFINITIVE GOVERNMENT SPEC/STD REFERENCE A52427-R-0.750

5310-01-045-3709 Master Cross Reference Data
Mfg. Part Number ISC RNVC RNCC HCC MSDS SADC DAC
0151787 6 2 5
070HN137-1 6 1 C N
11276 6 1 5
11276 6 9 5
11276-12 6 9 5
13220E4355-1 6 1 5
151787 6 2 5
15264P11 6 1 5
21008B 6 1 5
211790A 6 9 5
3300007 6 1 5
37888E 6 9 5
3788E 6 9 5
45403-501-05 6 1 5
52D7786-8 6 1 5
52D7786-8 6 2 5
537803 6 1 C N
74000448 6 1 C N
A-A-52427 1 4
A32804 6 9 5
A52427-R-0.750 6 2 2
MS19081-69 6 1 C N
MS51983-2 6 1 C N
MS51983-6 6 9 5

In the spirit of GI Joe.......... "Now we know!"

Last edited:

mktopside

Banned
Wehring is the man!!!

I went to Fastenall on my lunch break and picked up a bunch of 3/4- 16 nuts. They are nit as big as lug nuts so I used 5 on each wheel. It took can of all but the slightest vibration!!! I might try swapping the deuce lug nuts that hold the cover down for two of my nuts to see how that feels.

ApopkaFL

Banned
The secret to the reason the tires are like they are. Some one thought that if you place one set on one side differnt from other they will pull good in foward and reverse. Thats why they are mounted that way. All the M35A3s were setup like this. Its not a mistake in mounting the tires. YES the XL is a directional tire. This going be a good reason some of you are experiencing wobble, shake, so on when you drive down the road. ( YES from sitting at the DRMO has placed flat spots on the tires. That will increase the wobble , shake so on......

Thats just my 2cents

Rodman

flyxpl

after putting about 1000 miles on my A3 it does not seem to shake ( 50-52 mph ) near as much as it did when I fisrt got it . I did just discover that I am missing a ctis counter weight on one of the rear rims .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The secret to the reason the tires are like they are. Some one thought that if you place one set on one side differnt from other they will pull good in foward and reverse. Thats why they are mounted that way. All the M35A3s were setup like this. Its not a mistake in mounting the tires. YES the XL is a directional tire.
When I picked up my A3 from Sparta, the tires were not all mounted the same way. They were installed correctly on both sides. The spare was set up like the drivers side. I've seen a lot of A3s still at GL lots, some with the tires mounted correctly and others all mounted the same. Obviously, some of those tires were replaced. My A3 had very little mileage on it and I don't believe the tires had ever been off the wheels since the truck left AM General.

goodguyzy

OK i checked my A3 they are different on both sides, never noticed? so they should all be the same? yes or no, or it doesnt really matter?

ApopkaFL

Banned
When I picked up my A3 from Sparta, the tires were not all mounted the same way. They were installed correctly on both sides. The spare was set up like the drivers side. I've seen a lot of A3s still at GL lots, some with the tires mounted correctly and others all mounted the same. Obviously, some of those tires were replaced. My A3 had very little mileage on it and I don't believe the tires had ever been off the wheels since the truck left AM General.

All three of my M35A3s I bought back in October had the tires mounted same, one side right other side wrong. These trucks have less the 300 miles on one, other had 402 miles other one has 1,760 miles. I would say these are brand new trucks and they show it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK i checked my A3 they are different on both sides, never noticed? so they should all be the same? yes or no, or it doesnt really matter?
The tires were intended to be directional by Michelin and self-cleaning, like the tires on a tractor. The 'V' in the tread is supposed to be pointing rearward when in contact with the ground on both sides for all wheels. That being said, Michelin also says that they can be run in either direction without harming the tire, but offroad performance suffers when they are mounted backwards. In addition to performing better when oriented correctly when in mud, snow, etc. I personally think the trucks look funny when some of the tires are mounted backwards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks