• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36a2 M146 idea

w3azel

So I have both of these items just sitting in storage right now. I had purchased them to be a long tractor trailer set up but a friend brought up a good point and got me thinking why not put the M146 on the back of the M36. My question is could I do this and just re-center the rear tandems under the box or is this going to be opening a can of worms? Also do I need to extend the frame all the way back? The rear part wasn't going to have much weight in it and the trailer box appears to be its own frame so if I just place it on top of the M36 I should be ok right? Just bouncing ideas off you guys. Here are some pics cause I know that's the best way to get your attention and responses :naner:

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
With the front of the trailer right up against the back of the cab there should not be too much overhang but there is already several feet behind the tandems. If you did not put a lot of weight in the rear of the box it would prob be OK. I would consider some type of DOT bumper in the rear to keep some moron from running up under you.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Will be a LOT of work for the m36 (sorta under powered a bit for the weight), I would get a long frame 5t (m54, m814, m927) the 5t frame should be close enough in length, just move the rears back, add a second bearing supported driveshaft, you can always add extra frame past the rears to support the rear of the box.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M36A2 had a 17' bed, the box on the M146 is 22'. Simple math from there. Removing the axle from the 7000# + M146 ill trim off about 1300#. Figure it will weigh about 2000# more than an M109A3. Doable for sure but moving the tandems and setting up that long drive shaft will take some figuring.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Leave the rear axle on the trailer and set the trailer box on the deuce. It will look like a 4 axle truck, but only 3 axles will be driven. I am ready to tackle the affordable health care act next! ;)

quickfarms

It is an interesting idea. I had originally planned on doing this with my truck. It will be a lot of work to mount the box on the frame. The truck frame would have to be lengthened. The box does not have rails on the bottom and they would have to be added. The problem is that when adding the rails you need to remove the landing gear and axle.

59apache

Chipmaker
You can cut out a section in the front of the box and make an alcove camper out of it. I would keep in mind that if you move the tandems back, the load on the front axle raises.

w3azel

yeah its looking like the m36 just isn't up to the task. So now I'm in the market for an M814. Plus I think the larger truck will look better. Be like a M109a2 on steroids. I just regret coming to this conclusion after purchasing the M36, but hey maybe after some TLC and elbow grease I can get one of you suckers...I mean potential customers to giver her a nice home.

Blendmaster2002

Its all personal choice, I like the 2.5 ton chassis and would build a box exactly like you would want It to fit the M36 chassis, sell the trailer to pay for it and then you don't have to work around the trailer.
I love my M36A2 I had about 7,000lbs in the bed of mine and it didn't really notice it much at all.
Some one will want the M36 if you still want to go the 5 ton and trailer route, nothing wrong with that either.:)

Last edited:

ducer

Quick question, If you put the trailer on the back of a 5 ton won't it be to tall? Around me 12'9" - 13'3" is all you get for bridges.

Denny

w3azel

Bed height for a M814 is 55 1/2" stock M146 sits 49 3/4 high already so I don't think it would be an issue. The more I think of it the more I like it. I could do a class C style with the M36 but honestly I'm sick of sheet meal work. Straight drill and bolt works great.

RAYZER

There are 2" skids that run from the back of the trailer to the landing gear cross member, the skids attatch to several cross members along the way, however, the skids are designed to support the trailer when set on a flat surface and do not look like they would hold up to the rigors of holding the trailer to a twisting truck frame, some major fabrication may have to be performed to make it work.
Also, The m146 by design is a fairly rigid aluminum structure with a steel deck frame, I dont think the trailer will like being put In much of a bind, but some heavy duty spring setups at one end may take care of that.
Might as well make it a crew cab with a pass through, now that would be a long wheelbase!
Id like to see a photoshop that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks