• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 as First Car? Anybody Done It?

71DeuceAK

OK, so here's the deal/backstory:

-I've been infected with the "Green Iron Disease" for about 20-ish months now. You know how that goes, it can strike at any time without warning and the incubation period is extremely short!

-In December of 2014 I got "hooked" and promptly had a brilliant idea: "What if I got a Deuce and a Half as my first vehicle, and daily drove it everywhere like any other vehicle?" I had heard of Steel Soldiers quickly of course but didn't even visit the site for the first time until about 10 days before my first post, in June of 2015. At the time, it looked like I might be getting a Deuce for more or less free as my first vehicle. (from what I had been verbally told I thought it was one at first but it ended up being a '72 Chevy flatbed AND it would have been more trouble than it was worth anyway; it ran and drove fine but there were other issues at stake). The second "I might be getting a Deuce and a Half as my first car" situation happened this past April; there was a '68 M35A2 in excellent condition on Craigslist in what's now my local area (Fairbanks, AK) though at the time I hadn't yet moved here. My dad actually was the one who found that one and at the time it looked like I might be living on 6 acres and a mile or so down a dirt road so it would have worked out well...but that didn't pan out for other reasons. (especially it ending up I didn't have a place to park the thing since I'm still living in the dorms). I would have considered daily driving that one too, with a 200-mile round-trip road trip between Fairbanks, AK and Delta Junction, AK each weekend to boot, just lots of screaming down the freeway in the rightmost lane redlining at 55MPH. Of course most sensible people just laughed at me for even considering such a thing. (For instance, a group of MV-familiar friends were gag-gifting me with Swiss-Army-Knife type tools, flashlights, and the like this past Christmas: "Then you will need these for sure"! or whenever I mentioned the idea of, say, taking a road trip to a particular destination, would tease me: "Yeah, in your Deuce and a Half!" The thread of that saga can be seen here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Future-71-Deuce-Owner-from-Alaska-California

To further explain my level of sanity, or should I say the probable lack thereof, I also had the wonderfully brilliant idea of daily driving something like a M923A2 or M925A2 on the same long trip once I got a CDL, required for air brakes in Alaska. (My rationale was that with the automatic transmission, power steering, etc. would make it a little less miserable driving the darn thing every day, though of course it would have been even less of a picnic to handle in shopping center parking lots and campus parking would have been even more difficult, but I think the universal joke about parking between two hybrids vs. atop two hybrids goes unsaid). Of course, people really laughed at me for that one. See here for that thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149418-M939-Series-5-ton-as-Daily-Driver&highlight=

So then, someone suggested to me I get an M37. Why I had previously never considered that, I have no idea. Same basic form factor but a little easier to handle in the shopping center parking lots, and once I actually get my driver's license the campus parking attendants might actually allow the darn thing in. (I'd love to see what the campus police would think of a 5-ton!). So now I'm sort of considering getting one. Any ideas/suggestions? (I'd probably still get a 5 ton later on just since I want one).

Just how easy are the M37s to come by, and what sort of maintenance headaches do they entail? I'm not afraid to tackle crazy projects, even though I'm mechanically ignorant at this point, as evidenced by my crazy ideas like daily driving a 5 ton!

Thoughts?

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had my M37 for 36 years. It has been a daily driver a couple of times in that period. It is doable; gas these days will bankrupt you (7 to 10 miles a gallon if you are lucky and have it well adjusted; 5 to 7 miles a gallon is more realistic).

The big question is are you going to keep it stock or "modify" it? Also, Alaska is cold and snowy in the winter (especially Fairbanks!). These are un-insulated trucks and you will need a heater. You may even want the fuel fired one - which can be hard to find now days. You will probably also want one with a winch.

I like the M37 (mine is stock military and I've restored it twice) but a CUCV is probably a wiser choice for you and your current situation. Maintenance will be easier, I believe, and you are supposed to be focused and concentrating on school, not trucks and toys. You can always trade the CUCV for an M37 if you want later, or keep it and get a M37 to have both and then add your deuce and 5 ton.

Just something to think about. Remember, advice is worth exactly what you paid for it: in this case zero.

Good Luck with your decision!

71DeuceAK

OK, maybe I should have worded my original post better: It looked like I might have the 200 mile round trip every weekend, but since then that didn't happen (in a way, I'm thankful!). So at this point it would probably me more around-town-ish driving, since I think I want to get some housing close to campus when/if I move out of the dorms.

Anybody driven one cross-country?

71DeuceAK

Good to know about the completely manual steering, though I think I could live with that. It's what creature comforts you're willing to live without I suppose.

dmetalmiki

I've had my M37 for 36 years. It has been a daily driver a couple of times in that period. It is doable; gas these days will bankrupt you (7 to 10 miles a gallon if you are lucky and have it well adjusted; 5 to 7 miles a gallon is more realistic).

The big question is are you going to keep it stock or "modify" it? Also, Alaska is cold and snowy in the winter (especially Fairbanks!). These are un-insulated trucks and you will need a heater. You may even want the fuel fired one - which can be hard to find now days. You will probably also want one with a winch.

I like the M37 (mine is stock military and I've restored it twice) but a CUCV is probably a wiser choice for you and your current situation. Maintenance will be easier, I believe, and you are supposed to be focused and concentrating on school, not trucks and toys. You can always trade the CUCV for an M37 if you want later, or keep it and get a M37 to have both and then add your deuce and 5 ton.

Just something to think about. Remember, advice is worth exactly what you paid for it: in this case zero.

Good Luck with your decision!
Could not have worded the advice better. So take heed (IF you SHOULD(care to!)) and follow the above advice/s (twice now).
Good luck with your studies, work to and for your future. Get something smaller utilitarian and green for now, Enjoy larger and more time consuming stuff later.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow your kind of bouncing all over the board on vehicles here! Just a very simple suggestion, get a vehicle that you can drive normally every day, then save up for a MV of your choosing, I would also suggest a bit of research is done before you make your decision on what MV you want!
Good luck
KK

wilber

Everyone is correct. I've got a couple of M35A2's and have owned an M37 in the past. I tried to use the M37 as a daily driver when I was in college. You will quickly get tired of driving it. Even around town with a stock drive train wears you out. It is fun on a nice summer day with the top off, but driving daily in the winter is just too much effort. The only way I would consider it would be with a different engine and axles. Like they said above, the uninsulated cab is hard to heat in the lower 48, I can't imagine the Alaska winter at -50.

71DeuceAK

Yeah, the Fairbanks winters are going to suck regardless LOL. Some improvements would definitely be necessary if I were to embark on such a crazy venture. I've read plenty of stories high school and college students daily driving Deuces and 5 tons but never an M37, which is why I wondered...but I expected them to be not that "comfortable".

It's not -50 all year round though, right now it's blistering hot in Fairbanks as I type this.

teletech

Well, I did learn to drive in a 1953 Dodge truck. Not an M37 but Navy surplus, so it can be done and if you do it you will forever be able to use a manual transmission.
The total lack of climate-control would be pretty rough in my opinion, no insulation, all the door and window seals leak badly, wind through the floorboards too. That's all bad, the part that's really hard is when you have to roll down your windows because the defroster doesn't really work!
Oh, and it's going to get the same mileage as a deuce.
If you must, the Canadian M37 variant has a bit bigger motor that will allow you to cruise at 50MPH and often has a better heater system fitted.
I drove an M37 I bought in Canada back to central California and that was a loooong drive at 50 and I broke down a few times, as the years go by I treasure by memories of that trip.

Perhaps the M715 is a better ride in winter conditions?

...so I'd say it's completely stupid to even consider but don't let that stop you, you will learn a lot and have good stories however it turns out.

Another Ahab

If you must, the Canadian M37 variant has a bit bigger motor that will allow you to cruise at 50MPH and often has a better heater system fitted.
I drove an M37 I bought in Canada back to central California and that was a loooong drive at 50 and I broke down a few times, as the years go by I treasure by memories of that trip.

...so I'd say it's completely stupid to even consider but don't let that stop you, you will learn a lot and have good stories however it turns out.
You got something there, teletech:

- Some of the best wilderness trips I recall are the ones where we got caught in rain we never expected, or where we swamped the canoe, or the one when we ran out of chow (two days from the trail head). Funny how that is, isn't it?!

teletech

Suffering focuses the mind and that trip was VERY focused. I think the best one from that trip was when an unsecured battery bounced up into the metal seat frame. Did I mention all my title and import paperwork was safely stored under that seat and that paperwork is flammable... ah, good times. You know you are alive in those moments, so I say unto the young: "go out and have adventures now, you will have the stories your whole life and if you do it while you are young, you have time for the scars to heal."

You got something there, teletech:

- Some of the best wilderness trips I recall are the ones where we got caught in rain we never expected, or where we swamped the canoe, or the one when we ran out of chow (two days from the trail head). Funny how that is, isn't it?!

Another Ahab

Suffering focuses the mind and that trip was VERY focused. I think the best one from that trip was when an unsecured battery bounced up into the metal seat frame. Did I mention all my title and import paperwork was safely stored under that seat and that paperwork is flammable... ah, good times. You know you are alive in those moments, so I say unto the young: "go out and have adventures now, you will have the stories your whole life and if you do it while you are young, you have time for the scars to heal."

:funny:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wasn't military and it wasn't Alaska but I drove a '52 Chevy pickup in North Idaho my junior year of high school (I paid a whopping $75 for it). Trust me, when you're scrapping ice off the INSIDE of the window going down the road you're really inspired to buy something newer and more reliable (and decide to move to TX).

71DeuceAK

Your remark about scraping the inside of the windshield made me laugh. I had my first experience driving a stick shift in an M49 fuel tanker Deuce, (well, let me rephrase that, trying to pop-start said M49 by having someone else tow me around with a material handler) and I learned that empty cans of starting fluid make GREAT scrapers on those flat windshields! I tell people that trick about the starter fluid cans: "How and why do I know this? Winter driving in a Deuce and a Half!"

Another Ahab

Your remark about scraping the inside of the windshield made me laugh. I had my first experience driving a stick shift in an M49 fuel tanker Deuce, (well, let me rephrase that, trying to pop-start said M49 by having someone else tow me around with a material handler) and I learned that empty cans of starting fluid make GREAT scrapers on those flat windshields! I tell people that trick about the starter fluid cans: "How and why do I know this? Winter driving in a Deuce and a Half!"
Good story!

jrodjared

I agree with the CUCV choice. I had a deuce I drove in the snow from Maryland to NJ with only one functioning windshield wiper and no heat. It was an awful, long ride but we laugh about it now. I'm currently working on a M37 and I suspect it will be a similar ride on the long hauls as the deuce when I'm done! Also consider the deuce needs larger everything, including garage door openings, while the M37 and CUCV you can pretty much work on in any garage with standard tools. It would cost a lot less to tow too should you ever get stuck.

Good luck with your choice, post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks