• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 B1 with WC 51 or 52 engine

combat32

Been workin on my new 63 B1 and she is missing a few bits here and there, so I have been scrounging up needed parts. This was a rual fire truck after her time in they Army and they made a couple mods but nothing that is not easily reversible. So, I am lookin to put an original oil filter housing on this truck as it has none, and I started noticing differences in the engine. Finnaly got around to lookin at the block number and it is a WC 51 or 52 engine, probably a late production 52 engine as it is 12 volt.

Never seen one in an M37 before, from bell housing back it is all M37, transmission has a FT. Polk rebuild tag. I wonder if these engines were commonly available 30 years ago or so?

Attachments

TedG

T214 is also a WC56-57 Dodge Command Car engine. 12vdc is stock for them. The engine could be a replacement from the military or? That engine has value to a restorer of those trucks. It is not M series setup. Breather oil filler cap, slobber tube and external coil to name a few.

combat32

I doubt the Army did this, after a little interweb research and talking to some older guys in my club these engines were available and fairly cheap 30 years ago and back. I am sure it is WWII surplus. As it runs well and seems to be a low mileage engine I am gonna run it for a while, truck is already converted to 12v so it would be a lot of extra work to go back 24v. So far the only major differences are oil filter mounting bracket and dipstick, crankcase breather is in a little different location as well but I should be able to mount my M37 oil filter housing and oil lines with no problem.

FrankUSMC

I have seen, and have WWII Dodge engines that were rebuilt for the M37. A lot of them came in from France in the 1970s and 80s. If the truck came from a fire department, I could picture them in a heart beat buying a rebuilt motor from a surplus dealer. The rebuilt motors were cheap, and ready to drop in. Read, your brush truck would not be out of service that long compared to having the motor rebuilt.
I bought the last one White Owl parts company had back in the 1990s.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks