• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 B1 with WC 51 or 52 engine

combat32

Been workin on my new 63 B1 and she is missing a few bits here and there, so I have been scrounging up needed parts. This was a rual fire truck after her time in they Army and they made a couple mods but nothing that is not easily reversible. So, I am lookin to put an original oil filter housing on this truck as it has none, and I started noticing differences in the engine. Finnaly got around to lookin at the block number and it is a WC 51 or 52 engine, probably a late production 52 engine as it is 12 volt.

Never seen one in an M37 before, from bell housing back it is all M37, transmission has a FT. Polk rebuild tag. I wonder if these engines were commonly available 30 years ago or so?

Attachments

TedG

T214 is also a WC56-57 Dodge Command Car engine. 12vdc is stock for them. The engine could be a replacement from the military or? That engine has value to a restorer of those trucks. It is not M series setup. Breather oil filler cap, slobber tube and external coil to name a few.

combat32

I doubt the Army did this, after a little interweb research and talking to some older guys in my club these engines were available and fairly cheap 30 years ago and back. I am sure it is WWII surplus. As it runs well and seems to be a low mileage engine I am gonna run it for a while, truck is already converted to 12v so it would be a lot of extra work to go back 24v. So far the only major differences are oil filter mounting bracket and dipstick, crankcase breather is in a little different location as well but I should be able to mount my M37 oil filter housing and oil lines with no problem.

FrankUSMC

I have seen, and have WWII Dodge engines that were rebuilt for the M37. A lot of them came in from France in the 1970s and 80s. If the truck came from a fire department, I could picture them in a heart beat buying a rebuilt motor from a surplus dealer. The rebuilt motors were cheap, and ready to drop in. Read, your brush truck would not be out of service that long compared to having the motor rebuilt.
I bought the last one White Owl parts company had back in the 1990s.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET