• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 "creating" legroom

moose97

I'd really like to get a M37, but when I sat in one for the first time earlier this week, I had a terrible time operating the clutch pedal. I should note that I'm 6'7"... I could get my toe on the pedal, but sliding my foot up to press it was quite a chore because my knee was hitting the steering wheel.

So - I'm wondering if thais completely rules out an M37 as a MV for me. I drive a stick shift '89 F-250 as my daily driver, and I don't think there's any more room in that than there is in the M37, it's just that my left leg fits between the steering wheel and the door while operating the clutch pedal.

What kind of modifications can be made to "create" legroom? I figure 2-3" would do it. Smaller back cushion? Smaller steering wheel (would rather not)? Anything to move the clutch pedal further towards the firewall? Anything more drastic?

Like I said, I'd like to get a M37, but if I can't figure out a mod to make operating the clutch safe, I'll move on to another MV that I'd fit in better. Thanks!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Ranch truck is a M37 & its driven daily. I'm nearly as tall. I just push the side of the clutch pedal, and don't try to get my foot on top. I tell the Kids, its my "4 wheeler. I've had it since along about in the early '70s. I guess that I forgot that there is a space problem.

moose97

My Ranch truck is a M37 & its driven daily. I'm nearly as tall. I just push the side of the clutch pedal, and don't try to get my foot on top. I tell the Kids, its my "4 wheeler. I've had it since along about in the early '70s. I guess that I forgot that there is a space problem.
Ha! I sat in that M37 the other day, and once I struggled to hit the clutch, all I could think about was not being able to get to it in an emergency or in the woods...

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 6'8" and it hasn't stopped me from driving my M37.

I do have a thinner backpad on the drivers seat but no other modification. I have thought about adjusting the clutch pedal down a bit but I'm not to that part of my bebuid just yet. I'm not even sure if thats an option yet either.

Bert

moose97

So what do you guys think of this 1953 M37 near me? Does the "Power Wagon" emblem on the hood mean it is a civilian version? I've got a call in to the owner and am waiting to hear more - i.e., does it run, etc... Will report back soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

WarrenD

Looks like an M37 to me, someone probably just attached a logo to the hood. It looks like a project, if that's what you are after.

135gmc

I agree with Warren - it's military, but someone "improved" on the MIL design with a civilian emblem. I'm 6-6, and I drove an M37 for a few years - the clutch was bad enough, but I got real tired of having the WSW motor right in front of my eyes - I sold it and bought an M135 GMC---much more room all around. Unfortunately, every MIL truck was designed to be driven by skinny, little, 18 year olds..... Those of us who have aged and added a pound or two find them increasingly snug.

JGBallew

So what do you guys think of this 1953 M37 near me? Does the "Power Wagon" emblem on the hood mean it is a civilian version? I've got a call in to the owner and am waiting to hear more - i.e., does it run, etc... Will report back soon.
The PW and the M-37 have very very different bodywork. What you got in those pics is someone just playing around. Akin to slapping a MB hood ornament on a Lincoln.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find out if he has the radiator for that truck. That could be a major expense right out of the gate.

Storm 51

moose97

Got a few more pics from him, and talked to the guy. He replaced the engine and transmission (it was missing when he got it) with "one from a plow truck." I emailed back to see exactly what's in there now - unless someone here can identify it on sight. He hasn't started it since putting it in, but it ran in the plow truck.

The guy had plans on "restoring" it, but had to have back surgery and now just needs the cash since he's self-employed and can't work. Anyone want to throw out what they'd pay for a project truck like this? Opinions on the engine and transmission? Workable or valuable if not? Any other questions I should ask him (besides if he has the radiator)?

Attachments

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
V 8 transplant & Auto trans, means allot of unfinished business for you to design and build.

Cab interior cut up bad, no big deal if you don't want to go back to stock.

Lots of missing parts.

Bert

WarrenD

Probably a Mopar 318 or 360 V8 hooked to an auto transmission. No driveshaft and the engine "install" is less than complete.
How much of a project are you looking for and what do you want the end result to be? If you want a basically stock, original M37 you will need a 230 flathead and manual trans (orig), radiator and hope the motor mounts haven't been buggered. If you have welding gear and skills, it's do-able, but if you have to pay for that, you'll quickly exceed the value of a finished, restored truck long before you're done.
Not knowing what kind of shape the t-case and axles are in, hard to say what it's worth. Lots of work here, gas tank will have to be re-done, brakes will need new wheel cylinders and master (minimum), driveline and body work, complete interior and battery box.
Personally, I'd pass and call this more of a parts truck to supply a better one.
If you feel you must, I wouldn't go more then $1500-2000.

WarrenD

Even for free it will be a lot and I mean A LOT of work to get this going again and a lot of money and time. I wouldn't (but I'm not that ambicious). In my mind, it's a parts truck.

FrankUSMC

I would also call that a parts truck. I have owned alot of M37s, in that shape it is a money pit. Save your money and find one more complete.
The last one I bought I got off this forum, it is the nicest M37 I have ever owned. Look for one that is more complete, and running. They are out there, I turned down a complete one here (NC) for $1800, because I was looking for a restored one that I would have to put no time in.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moose97 - I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs. A friend of mine has an M37. I think it's a fantastic truck BUT I have a hard time getting behind the wheel and feeling comfortable. I looked at so many different shapes & sizes of MV's before I bought my first. The one I had the most leg room in is the M151A2. I needed a vehicle that could maintain 55MPH speeds for long distances, get reasonable fuel mileage, and be relatively straightforward to repair. The MUTT fit my requirements at the time, even though I had my heart set on a M35A2. Keep your options open and you'll be surprised what vehicle truly suits your needs. :smile:

M-37Bruce

JM2Cents

I would also call that a parts truck. I have owned alot of M37s, in that shape it is a money pit. Save your money and find one more complete.
The last one I bought I got off this forum, it is the nicest M37 I have ever owned. Look for one that is more complete, and running. They are out there, I turned down a complete one here (NC) for $1800, because I was looking for a restored one that I would have to put no time in.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Moose97,
Frank is right on, parts truck, I think you'd need another to make one complete truck. I'm 6' 2.5" and 280, snug but it works for me.
No more than a grand, but 8fidy is more better!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks