• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 "creating" legroom

moose97

Yeah, the more I think about it, it's more of a project than I'm willing to take on.

There is another M37 near me that I've called about, but not heard back on. More complete, and more money... Listed as a '52 or '53. This one runs and drives. "Some gauges work." Opinions? How much would you pay?

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Looks rode very hard. Mismatched parts under the hood can get $$$ very fast. I would wait for a better one.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

WarrenD

The one in NE looks like a very good candidate. The multi-colored one, I'd pass. Lots of Bubba mods, tailgate is homemade, interior modded, engine has non-original parts, hard to tell what else is missing/wrong. Rot under the headlights, common but good fenders are getting harder to find. Hard to see, but may be rot along the cowl behind the hood.
In general, watch for rot in the cowl area and under the hood hinges. This is hard to fix as the cab in that area is welded as one. Replacement panels have to be cut out of a donor or fabbed and welded in. Time consuming and expensive. A few pin holes are ok as long as the surrounding metal is structurly sound.

M-37Bruce

I was snooping on epay and stumbled across several trucks, most looked very complete. Overton has his listed, it's a beauti-ful rig, but high $$!

moose97

This one just showed up on Craigslist ~ an hour and 45 minutes from me. The ad says:

Very solid restorable truck. Needs brake work and carb work but does run and drive. Right front brake backing plate is moist, I'm guessing it is brake fluid. Spudders when you step on the the pedal, carb needs to be clean. This truck was seating for several years before i bought it in july.THIS TRUCK COMES WITH A CLEAN MINNESOTA TITLE
Obviously, it's missing the tailgate, which is problematic. I'm going to make a call to try to get a picture of the engine. Other than that - any opinions?

Attachments

Blueduce

I agree with Warren - it's military, but someone "improved" on the MIL design with a civilian emblem. I'm 6-6, and I drove an M37 for a few years - the clutch was bad enough, but I got real tired of having the WSW motor right in front of my eyes - I sold it and bought an M135 GMC---much more room all around. Unfortunately, every MIL truck was designed to be driven by skinny, little, 18 year olds..... Those of us who have aged and added a pound or two find them increasingly snug.

It's threads like this that give us vertically challenged a chance to say:)
Whooh, Hooh.
I have a M35a2 but a 37 is my next drug of choice so I'm starting to infiltrate you 37 owners AO.
In all seriousness, could you cut a few inches off the pedal stem inside the cab and make up for it by adjusting the linkage out. 2cents Sounds good in theory.

popz76

this is what I (6'3" and 265) do when I'm just drivin' around..a document bag with a bit of foam in it and hung over the seat. I put the original back on when at displays and such.

Attachments

Tanner

Upholstery shops have thin high-density foams available that can be sewn into canvas seating materials quite easily - this give those of us with height some options for more legroom.

'Tanner'

bgates

I'm 6'5" tall and 62 years old. I own two m37's. When I put new padding in the seats I just cut both pads down to about 1/3 normal thickness and I'm just fine. I used an electric kitchen carving knife and it was easy.
Also make sure the seat is all the way back to the rear of the cab. Many of them won't go that far on their own.

moose97

Got some more pics of that M37 near me. Comments?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks