• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Hardtop Question and search.

Reich965

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can give feedback on there Vintage Power Wagon hardtop or their Boyce Equipment hardtop. The Boyce unit is a little less expensive, but seems to be free standing whereas the the VPW one requires the top bows. I realize both are expensive to ship, but I need one so the shipping piece is okay. I am looking for best fit around the windows and overall durability. I would paint it myself. I'd like to get one or the other pretty soon. Otherwise, I will be traveling through Georgia, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin in the next couple weeks. If anyone has a fiberglass hardtop in good condition, I can divert from the freeways to pick one up with reasonable latitude and still make my schedule. I'm also looking for a complete spare tire carrying assembly for the drivers door. I probably won't have much time for breaking old bolts loose if the parts are still on trucks, but I can try. I also need a couple spare wheels and tires. Thanks, Jerry

nattieleather

The VPW top seems to be an exact replica of the steel stock GI hard top. I don't think the bows are needed for it....but check with them. If it is an exact match to the original then I would thin the fit would be about the same...that being that the GI top fit marginally well all things considered.

Reich965

Thank you Nattieleather. I had not realized it's design was as a replica. I like the sound of that. I have confirmed the top does require the top bows. The Boyce top does not and is free supporting. Would that mean it is thicker, stonger, etc? Don't know. I'm going to call both providers tomorrow and see what they say. I'll report back. Thanks again, Jerry

nattieleather

My truck has an original steel hardtop and I do not have any bows. After looking at VPW website it looks like they designed the top to work with the bows so that you didn't need to remove them where as the original top does not work with bows. I'd say give them a call and see if you can use the top without the bows.

Here is the top we are talking about http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pdf/parts/18body.pdf Also you will have to come up with a rear window if you want one.

Reich965

Thanks Mark and Natieleather,
i ended up diverting to Vintage Power Wagons in Iowa on my road trip where I bought one of their fiberglass tops. I also bought the spare tire carrier I was looking for and some winch bits. Bert at G741 met me in Milwaukee and sold me a couple used tires and wheels too. So, I have gotten what I was looking for until next time.

Mark,
I purchased the top last Monday and am now back in Florida. I would have preferred a metal one, buy I thought they could not be found....my loss.

In terms of fit and all of that, I'll report on that once I get some time to work on it.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jerry

JimC2

I just took a weekend and built a steel top using 12 ga steel sheet, an extra frame and bow for a canvas top, and a sliding rear window out of a duece.

Yeah, I know -- it needs a repaint :-(

Steel_Top.jpg

Last edited:

JimC2

Jerry, what I like about it is that's what it looks like after the truck has been rolled over on it a couple of times.

It's godawful stout, but it takes two people to lift it on and off the truck. It took about 16 hours to build it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks