• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Low Oil Pressure

I have a 1954 M37 with gas engine that was converted to a brush truck for a local fire department. The oil pressure has dropped and I did find gas in the oil. It has an electric fuel pump and I have put a pressure regulator on the line to keep at 4.5 psi. After a change of filter and new 30 wt oil the pressure did the same thing, ran at 40 and then dropped to 2-3 after only 22 miles. Any ideas as to where the gas is entering the system? I saw above that there is a booster pump seal but do not know if this applies to the gas engine models.

dubnali

Verify that you have the right sending unit. I had the very same problem and found that my truck had the wrong sending unit for the gauge that was in the instrument panel. Had a 120 psi gauge and a 60 psi sending unit. They used both. Replaced the sending unit with a 120 PSI and now have 70+ PSI and drops to about 40 PSI when warm.

welldigger

I have a 1954 M37 with gas engine that was converted to a brush truck for a local fire department. The oil pressure has dropped and I did find gas in the oil. It has an electric fuel pump and I have put a pressure regulator on the line to keep at 4.5 psi. After a change of filter and new 30 wt oil the pressure did the same thing, ran at 40 and then dropped to 2-3 after only 22 miles. Any ideas as to where the gas is entering the system? I saw above that there is a booster pump seal but do not know if this applies to the gas engine models.
No the booster pump is a diesel only thing. The floats in the carburetor could be sticking open causing fuel to flow into the cylinders. I'm not familiar with the old gasser trucks but I don't imagine there are too many ways for fuel to enter the engine oil.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know much about the gaser's myself but does it have a mechanical fuel pump that could leak fuel into crankcase?

welldigger

4bt conversions have been done in m37's many times. As far as parts availability and performance upgrades I'd go cummins and I'm by no means a cummins fanboy.

foxtrk2

just a thought if oil sending units are correct try what I did on my 63 truck I switched to rottella 15/40 oil pressure is better and stays higher while running

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37 Weapons Brush truck,

I would go back to square one and figure out how the gas is getting into the crankcase first.

If it is not leaking in from the fuel pump diaphragm, I would immediately look at the float height.

Bert