• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Vietnam Resto Build Thread

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 52 m37 back in December and have been working on tearing it apart since then. Now that the weather is nicer I figured i'd start on thread on the restoration.

Not going for a factory look, it will have some "custom" touches like silver gauges and controls in the cab, pin stripes on the wheels, and west coast mirrors, etc:jumpin:
Here's some recovery pics.

Attachments

Carter

Nice truck to start with, you have made good progress. Will follow your work with much intrest.
Looks line someont threw yellow paint at the back of the cab :wink:.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today we dismounted all the tires from the wheels. The tires are all dated from the early 1950s and were retreads so they are being replaced with some used NDTs I bought.

We also got all of the wiring pulled and started sanding the paint and cutting out rust. All the brake drums are now off, so we'll try to get the brakes done soon.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Well, at least one is leaking, and only two of the shoes are moving, and I found a huge empty bottle of Dot 3 under the seat...

Here's a pic of the lightswitch and instrument cluster with two temp gauges;-)
One of those Temp gages better become a pressure gage........Prefferably the lower right one.

Somewhere Ive seen this silver trim before:wink:

Kasper31

It looks like you're getting off to a great start, as you may allready know there's alot of info on this S.S site that can help you if needed. There are no dumb questions here, just ask .[thumbzup]

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't get too much done today, just a lot of sanding on the cab and degreasing the engine. We have to weld in cab corners and a few holes that were drilled, then it will be painted back to OD green after the body work is done.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where on the frame? Mine was folded in fours, tucked on top of the gas tank, under one of the straps. Yours looks very similar to mine.

Mine was folded and stuck at the brace between the frame and the rear crossmember that the bumperette bolts to on the drivers side.

majorhitt

Weld in the cab corners? The pictures I saw the corners look pretty good. I wish mine looked that good. Keep up the good work and the photos coming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks