• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M4 Sherman Hull on Farm

Varyag

So today me and my wife went to go look at an old sherman one of the locals want to sell. He described it as a hull without turret. So, I figure that I'll bite and check it out.

The hull is the lower hull. It was chopped at the fenders. The road wheels are in good shape and all of the return rollers are in good shape minus one that is loose. The idler wheels look like they were adapted off a stewart and welded on to make the tank longer. The track is in good shape.

The engine has been replaced (rather proffessionally) with a 8v71 with a 5 speed behing it going to the sherman's original tranny. All of the controls felt tight and smooth. They removed the rear plate off the hull and put a heavy mesh to cover a very large radiator.

He didn't have it ready to start. He said he drove it there a year ago to pull all the logging equipment off. The ground is really soft there so it is sinking into the mud now.

So, ran when parked. :-?

The interior is oily but clean. all the original paint is there and I could see a couple of the original decals inside too.

I feel absolutly torn on this. He asked 5k for the whole mess. I told him I wouldn't be able to pull that and 3.5 to 4 would be more in my price range. I don't want to see it get the hot knife so what do you guys think? Good canidate to make a tankpc out of?

And now... pics.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you could make a m32 recovery vehicle, would be a lot easier then to bring the m4 back, now that the pics are up, yes a m32 is very doable

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! What a work horse! That thing looks awesome.

I have no idea on the weight of the thing or the value of the drive train. How close to scrap value is your offer?

Rick

Tango

If you can get it home, grab it. It has a lot of possibilities and an APC would be a cool toy. To bad I can't be there to help you work on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks