• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M41 5-ton cargo

Canadian Gunner

M41 bed

Hi Drgreg (like your atavar by the way!):

The M41 bed is similar to the M135 and is indeed more aimed at troop and artillery ammo carrying. The ready rounds were carried on the floor with the detachment (artillery in the Commonwealth have "detachments" not "crews") sitting on the benches. As there was more truck than detachment or ammo (the bulk of the ammo was in the "Limber vehicle", an M54 flat-floor), the cab end of the truck was often customised by the detachment with bins and boxes for all the ancillary kit for the gun and the pers kit of the detachment members.

What your artillery calls a "half-section" and we call a 'detachment' was, for the 155mm m114: the gun, the tractor (M41), the limber (M54) and the detachment members; a Sergeant, two Bombardiers (Cpl to you), and 11 Gunners or Lance-Bombardiers (Lance Cpl/Spec to you) including the two drivers.

Ammo handling in the days before hiab cranes and all-terrain forklifts was a bitch! The 155mm rounds come in pallets of eight weighing close to 900 pounds and the propellant comes on big metal cylinders weighing upwards of 100 pounds each... Gunners were renouned in our army for having the best tug of war teams with severely overdeveloped shoulders!!!:beer:

Cheers! Mike

Canadian Gunner

1400X20 NDCC tires

Hi indy4X4fab:

I'm interested in the tires. I have a US shipping address in upper New York state (Zip code 13669).

How much are you asking for the new ones and for the used ones, and, could you include a couple of photos? What brands are they?

An estimate of the shipping cost would also be appreciated, however, it might mean a run to your neck of the woods jsut to save a few bucks! :shock:

I'm also looking for a couple of other items:
a new steering wheel for a M35A2 as mine is all sun checked and very rough and a left hand wind screen (the innner frame and glass) for an M54.

Cheers! Mike

Gunner0311

Bobbed!

I have never understood the need for so many people to "Bob" 6x6 trucks. It

negates the three magic words in the English language: "Six Wheel Drive".

Two are better that one. Four are better than two and Six are better than four!aua

Blind Driver

I have never understood the need for so many people to "Bob" 6x6 trucks. It

negates the three magic words in the English language: "Six Wheel Drive".

Two are better that one. Four are better than two and Six are better than four!aua
We (some) want the truck, but not the wheelbase. We also want our truck to drive down the highway at 75 mph :popcorn:

I want to daily drive my future truck.

joeM62

Didn't know that a 5ton could come with a bed like that I've heard of the M41 but never seen one pretty cool looking design were the motors a 6602 by chance, those rims would impossible to find anywhere.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would say thay are the DEEP dish rim that was used on single old 5ts like the deep dish used on the m34

Bolkbich

i have to check i think i bought 7 and 1 was bent i used 2 on the front i might have 4 its been a while but first ya gotta tell me what they are off...;-)

indy4x4fab

Banned
Sure looks the same to me. I have no idea what these rims are off.
I would say that they come off the early m41, but give me a little bit and I'll have a better answer for you. I have a call in to a local mil. museum buddy that might be able to shed a bit more light on these rims.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have been searching by p/n, nsn# since about 10:30, for a Tm or online pic, I can give you the standard p/n, the combat rim p/n, the old nsn #s, the new nsn#s, the original p/ns, both BW and IHC. I have the 41 truck id pic with combat rims, but NO pic in section 13, just a listing, I found where a FEW are for sale , no pic, I found the tech details (hole size, hub size, center spacing, ect.), the different build contract #s, but NO PIC.
What is it with this rim that it makes it so TOP SECERT

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
These rims are early m939a1's rims, they only produced a 100 or so before adopting the current ten stud combat rim. Strait from a ten years retired U.S. Army Master Sargent Motor pool tech. He says they scraped a lot of those rims after the ten stud combat rims became available so they could get rid of the need for 14r20 tubes.

Attachments

Last edited: