• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

Oldfart

Zout,
I think work is about to resume. Ghostdriver has finally found a couple of part time employees for her business. As soon as the "training" period is finished, I think she will have some time to devote to her M43. I can add that the engine rebuild gasket set has arrived as well as the NOS proper oil pump and a set of new valve springs to go with the new camshaft. She even got a new cam hub to make sure everything fits right. The first order of new business will be to drain fluids and pull the front clip again. She had just started the two radiator support bolts to keep the clip in place during the "fire the engine up process" so it should only take a few minutes and an extra pair of hands to get the clip back outdoors.

Ghostdriver

Well, I have managed to hire some employees, and so I think I can start work back up again tomorrow. Should have some TERRIBLY EXCITING pictures to post of draining the radiator, and draining the oil, and removing the motor mounts -- AGAIN! Eventually, you will all get to see what the INSIDE of a Dodge 230 engine looks like. And so will I.

BTW, the dually starts just fine now. I might make a decent mechanic after all.rofl

Ghostdriver

Managed to get a fair amount done today. Drained the antifreeze and oil. Since we had only attached the front clip with the two bolts under the radiator, I just had to take those out and undo the wiring harness (again). Rewrote the numbers on the little labels I had made because they were faded, since I started this in umm, APRIL? Had about 5 guys working in the shop at the same time who were kind enough to lend some muscle to lifting the front clip off and carrying it outside. Pulled the center floorboard and unhooked the drive shaft in relative darkness, until one of the guys brought me a light, which was a much appreciated improvement over doing it by feel. Unpinned all the transfer case shift levers and the ground strap too. I think all I have left to do is undo the clutch linkage and remove the motor mount bolts, and we're ready to pull the engine.

zout

There sure was a lot of smiling going on in all the previous pictures - you folks all look like - ah chit we have to do it AGAIN !! What's the deal !

Glad you picked up a couple folks for your business - hard to get someone you think you can trust isn't it.

Hard to get re-motivated on something you just put together and now have to take it all apart again (just reminding you :) ) But hang in there - once you get it apart and start attaching all the components again that BIG SMILE will start coming back along with the crews - hope you realize its your project and your the one that pass's that onto your crew.

Look forward to some more pic's and I for one am glad you can get back on it.
Keep em coming GD.
THX to Olefart as well for sneeking some in.

STSCSS

Looking good I just aquired a M43 to my herd and looks like you are the go to Lady. Will have to check the rear for bulletholes!

Oldfart

Ghostdriver is about finished with training her new employees. I think the plan is to pull the engine in the next few days. All the parts have arrived for the camshaft replacement..

Ghostdriver intends to follow somehow on the bullet holes-combat theme after she gets her M43 running. On the other hand there resides in our club another M43 that did not need resurrection, restoration, theme interpretation or much beyond maintenance and TLC. This M43 is an Air Force flight line ambulance in superb original condition. The owner lets her husband drive it when his deuce needs work.

Photo attached

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This one pic I believe was a field hospital in Nam. I had a couple more from Da Nang of the ambulances and one of another the Red Cross just mutilated by gunfire sitting on the side of the road.

I as well let a lot of dents and dings in this one - just sacralidge to remove them. I do not want a museum piece - I want folks in it - touching it and feeling it and seeing part of history - no roped off area around this one and little fold out seats keeping peoples hands off it for me.

I totally agree with you!

nattieleather

This M43 is an Air Force flight line ambulance in superb original condition. The owner lets her husband drive it when his deuce needs work.

Photo attached
That sure is a pretty icecream truck.... :) :lol:

I'd like to see more of that truck.

Keep plugging away with your truck GR....it will all come together at some point.

zout

Olefart & Ghostdriver:

You Two have had to been up to something in these passing days - for sure the nail polish has got to be dried and your hired employee's trained (unless you would up with knuckleheads I have had come in for employment) then that is a whole nother story.

SO - what is the latest on the 43 - we are awaiting patiently

Spring is Sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where
That 43 iz

Ghostdriver

:funny:

Zout,

Georgia has grass,
Colorado has snow
It's too #$@#ing cold here,
So now you know.

Thanks for the post, the truck is sitting outside of the shop now while somebody else's thing gets worked on. And it's been cold, at least too cold for me to want to grab a bunch of sub-zero wrenches and tinker away. But soon, I hope.

STSCSS

:funny:

Zout,

Georgia has grass,
Colorado has snow
It's too #$@#ing cold here,
So now you know.

Thanks for the post, the truck is sitting outside of the shop now while somebody else's thing gets worked on. And it's been cold, at least too cold for me to want to grab a bunch of sub-zero wrenches and tinker away. But soon, I hope.
Would you like some Cheese with that Whine? Just move to Minnesota so we can teach ya how to work in shorts outside in January!
(ok so it was 53 degrees today)

Oldfart

Back in the saddle (or on the engine stand again.)

I took some photos this morning to appease all the photo hungry MVophiles who would rather see the real thing than have to imagine. We did get some ground freeze on the farm overnight, but this afternoon it is back to slop as we made the 60's again. Yes we have the residue of about 15 inches of the last snow combining with what would normally be awesome weather for Stockshow season to make some real slop in the farm yard. Some nice soul managed to spread some sand to fill the low spots in front of the shop so it should dry out quicker. Photos attached

Attachments

Last edited:

rickf

I noticed the added piece off "hardware" on the engine. Barn critters? Or are you afraid someone might abscond with your engine for a rock buggy?:lol:

Rick

Oldfart

Varmits. My mistake! I had to get my camera out of my coat pocket and I put my pocket hardware down so I could fumble for the camera. Forgot it was in view in a couple of photos and did not mean to include those photos. (Have edited previous thread)

Last edited:

zout

Love that buggyy - made my hair stand up - zipping around in that snow ya have over there.

Thought for sure you would have taken some snow from outside and stacked it on the floor around the engine so we could feel really bad for you - sure looks like its topping the mid 50's inside that garage - so no tears from me.

Thanks for taking current pics to keep us updated on the happenings of the 43.

Looks like you had to turn the lights on and turn the heat up in that abandoned shop to take some pics - what happened to all them fella's hanging around.

rickf

Should have left those pics in, gives it character.:cool: Makes us oppressed types in no carry states feel good about you lucky ones.[thumbzup] I hate working in the cold because as you work you get hot, when you get hot you sweat, when you sweat you get wet and then you REALLY freeze your arse off!

Rick

Oldfart

Colorado is concealed with permit and open except it really freaks out people from non flyover states. I was on my own farm in my jammys stalking a varmint in my yard and some do gooder saw the 20 gauge from the highway and called the Sheriff. It has gotten so bad with the increasing housing around the farm that the Sheriff just tells the callers that we can without coming out to check.

Our shop has the entire southern roof made out of Lexan. It is at an angle of 54 degrees to pretty much be flat to the sun in the dead of winter for minimum reflection and maximum heat absorption. The clear portion is 43 feet wide and 20 feet to the peak. We have an electric radiant heat fixture mounted between the truss joists. Spendy to run the heater, but with the sun we usually stay above freezing without added heat.

M43 is not currently in the shop, but it just went indoors long enough to pull the engine.

I will try to find some photos of some of the rock crawlers that have been in our shop in action.

Attachments