• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

jets1959

How does your father and brother expect you to get your engine work done if it would take all day to clean up the shop just to get to it, or is that the whole idea for you to clean the shop up for them.:whistle::popcorn:LOL

snowdad

Fairly new member to this site and I just found this thread today. Spent almost the entire day reading every post. Great job. Something I had wished one of my daughters would have tried to do with me. Stick to it. I am impressed with the speed at which you have done this so far.
Phillip

Oldfart

The surprise is discovered.!! Ghostdriver discovered the plot to give her a hand with her engine. Since we have been outted, we will post some pictures. I tried to install the new camshaft without pulling the head, but the new cam came with new springs and it was impossible to remove and replace the springs even with the valves pushed all the way to the top of the combustion chamber. The new cam has a larger hub than the old cam and requires a different cam gear hub. The lift on the new cam is about an 1/8th of an inch higher for both intake and exhaust. ~~~ Lost a valve stem keeper in the process, good to have a couple of parts engines setting around. ~~~ I had a chance to view the balance work Ghostdriver ordered up 12 years ago as well as a beefier timing chain. These are good things. Valve lash has been set and the side covers replaced. We managed to remove the head while leaving the thermostat housing in place so we won't have to deal with any cooling system issues other than hose clamps.

Attachments

Oldfart

More pictures

Attachments

Oldfart

More More pictures

Attachments

Danger Ranger

Well holy crap, we get an update.....lol.

Glad to see this still moving on. Looks like you are doing a great job out there. You make it look warm too. :beer:

jets1959

Glad to see work has started back up on this project. Hopefully it will be done in time to do a little driving before the end of spring. What a great family to work on MV's together.:beer:

jets1959

I am sorry did I miss something?:shock: I thought everyone was wishing you well, and being glad work was back in progress.

Last edited:

Oldfart

And we apprecieate the well wishes!

I was just reminding Steel and Canvas that as soon as we get the M43 running, we need to get several other projects under way as well. We have been really busy with business issues and it has taken a bite out of our fun time with our OD stuff. It is really good to get a chance to twist a wrench on some projects that have been on hold for too long.

Oldfart

It really sucks when you have to actually work to play!:twisted::twisted::mrgreen:

How many gasket sets have you gone through on this engine?

Rick
Actually, only two engine gasket sets with an extra exhaust/intake set. That and a large sheet of gasket material. The original rebuild more than 12 years ago (longer than most saga's) while a long block build, had the exhaust/intake gaskets, theromstat gasket and water pump gasket as left over's for us to install when we swapped the engines. Of course, after 12 years we could not find the gaskets for the swap of bolt on's. (After Ghostdriver had hand tapped most everything except the intake/exhaust gaskets and we had the engine in the frame, we found the missing gaskets.) That said, we knew we would need most of an engine set when we installed the new ISKY cam and springs and it is always good to have some spare gaskets on hand in addition to some gasket material.

We did find 3 teeth off the the new oil pump from the rebuild in the pan. When we took a look right after the pump gears failure with a bore scope and we could see some edge damage on the cam gear which is what prompted us to go with a new camshaft.

We think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train.

rickf

Looking good, .125 extra lift is going to give that motor some real serious grunt in the bottom end as long as the duration stays close to stock. I noticed that when you started it the first time that the exhaust was not hooked up. I usually try to have mine hooked up so I can hear what is happening in the engine. Especially since you are going to be running high RPM right at the start and steady for a long time to break in the cam. You want to hear any strange noises. Of coarse, it is like the end of a race, there are always strange noises. The closer to front I was the the more noises I would hear.:)

How come GD is in full winter garb while others are in shorts and T's?

Rick

Oldfart

The cam is a 3/4 (RV nowdays) and it might not be a full 0.125, but the low point of the new cam is about that less than the low point of the old cam. Given the top of the lobe is limited by the cam bearing journal diameter the only way to get more lift is to have a lower start. That doesn't mean they did not knock some off of the top of the lobe as well. ~~ I understand the noises. Just ask a light airplane pilot "did you hear that" and when he says "what" just answer "I don't know for sure, but I thiought I heard something." I know I have spent the entire rest of the flight listening very hard.

About the clothes, the day started out warmer and then chilled off a bit. Ghostdriver arrived after it had started to cool down. The gloves are just what she had in her jacket pocket that got used to keep that expensive finger paint in trim for the next day at the office.

poppop

I just read this entire thread and you guys are doing great work. Ghostdriver, my hat is off to you for the work you are doing. This thread gave me lots of good information as I just got my M37 home a few days ago. The previous owner had started the restoration so my next step is to remove all body parts and clean and paint. I am looking fprward to this project and can't wait to drive it around. Unfortunatly I am a farmer in south Ga. and this is my busy season, so I don't have a lot of time to devote to it now. I did install batterys today and started it and drove it into the shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks