• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

zout

Hurry up - I think your air show is coming up once again out this isn't it ???

Sure great to see your pics and you folks back to turning wrench's on the 43 once again.

Still staying tuned to this channel till completed and happy face pictures taken of the first ride out.

Ghostdriver

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement, again. Since it has become a multi-post topic of conversation, I was wearing a coat because I was fighting some kind of bug and had just gotten up from a three hour sweaty nap with a stuffy head and I was cold. But I couldn't resist poking my nose into the business of three guys standing around my engine trying to get the rest of the valve spring keepers out ;).

It felt really good to get a little greasy again, even if I did have to go lie down again after 15 minutes.

jets1959

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement, again. Since it has become a multi-post topic of conversation, I was wearing a coat because I was fighting some kind of bug and had just gotten up from a three hour sweaty nap with a stuffy head and I was cold. But I couldn't resist poking my nose into the business of three guys standing around my engine trying to get the rest of the valve spring keepers out ;).

It felt really good to get a little greasy again, even if I did have to go lie down again after 15 minutes.
Hope you are feeling better! Glad your back to work on you MV!

Oldfart

More Photos. We have a mechanic in training in some of these photos. Toyed with the idea of stealing the oil pump shaft out of the new oil pump to put the high volume gear set on the military shaft, but rethinking it, figured out the shaft length was different. Spent some time getting the right tooth set for the oil pump so the distributor rotor alignment matched the number one position in the M37 handbook. We are getting closer to stabbing the engine back in the ambulance.

Attachments

jets1959

More Photos. We have a mechanic in training in some of these photos. Toyed with the idea of stealing the oil pump shaft out of the new oil pump to put the high volume gear set on the military shaft, but rethinking it, figured out the shaft length was different. Spent some time getting the right tooth set for the oil pump so the distributor rotor alignment matched the number one position in the M37 handbook. We are getting closer to stabbing the engine back in the ambulance.
Mechanic in training is the one with the supervisor on his back! LOL

Poolboy

More Photos. We have a mechanic in training in some of these photos.

I think my son Finnley will know his way around engines and tube chassis before he even starts school. haha

Update, the engine is ready to go into the M43!!!!!!!!!! flywheel, bellhousing,starter, clutch and tranny were mounted tonight.

Oldfart

The guys stabbed the engine in the M43 a couple of days ago. Today, after she got home from work, Ghostdriver and I did some button up before we install the front clip. Got all the linkages installed and adjusted as well as the intermediate drive shaft installed. Everything is attached to the engine now other than the ignition wire and oil sender wire. The only thing left to bolt to the engine is the exhaust pipe. Ghostdriver plans on setting the front clip in place right after she gets the exhaust pipe mounted. While she was under the hood coupling air vent lines and linkages, I chased the threads on some of the floorboard nuts. I will finish those later and then chase threads on the bolts. Several of the bolts had to come out with a half inch drive impact. Don't want to put them in that way.

Attachments

zout

Sounds like the 43 is coming back together nicely - is there enough anticipation in the fine craftmenship to look forward to an event to bring it to yet >?

Oldfart

Ghostdriver was/is shooting for the Memorial Day Parade in Commerce City Colorado. She and Jollyroger have been working on a rally/camp out on the farm the following Friday as a part of the MVCC regular monthly meeting. The Elizabeth Stampede is Saturday after the MVCC meeting and the plan is to convoy a bunch of club vehicles to their parade. Jollyroger is off working in California and he will fly home long enough to participate in the Commerce City Parade, but he will miss the rally/camp out. I think the big event for Ghostdriver will be the Air Show static display in August. The club has been really busy this last month with several events on the same day. Check out the SS Coming events section for 70 Deuce's posting of the USAF Academy event. Lots of the MVCC WW2 equipment went there while some of the rest of us did other events (like the Vietnam Graffiti display put on by the Aurora Museum.)

Ghostdriver

Going to try to get it to the Memorial Day Parade this coming Monday. River (my little Shepherd, as opposed to my big Shepherd) jumped in and sat down like we were going somewhere - can't disappoint him. It's steady rain today, so no work, since it's sitting in the mud right now. :cry:

Oldfart

This looks like one of my deals, firing it up for the first time while putting on the trailer for the show!

Rick

I know that experience. And I think we will be close on this one. Jollyroger has another project that will require most of my day tomorrow. I will have to run 100 miles up north to pick up some 14.00x20 military NDT tires for his 1941 Autocar. Maybe the rain will stop long enough to get something done tomorrow afternoon when I get home.

rickf

Aw C'mon, The rain never stopped us when we were kids did it?:roll::roll: Changed more than one engine outside in the rain only to have the sun come out in time for the races. worked for me!:beer: Of coarse that was before arthritis, herniated discs and plain old age!:shock:

Rick

Oldfart

Well, the steady rain most of yesterday finally faded away in the darkness. This morning we have mostly clear blue sky except for a big thunderhead building up off to the NE. If the sunshine holds out most of the day the farmyard should get firm enough to move vehicles around. I got a call from some of the "guys" around 7 pm yesterday and if things went according to their plan, Ghostdrivers M43 should have been pushed into the shop. The plan then had them backing the deuce part way in behind the ambulance so they had some cover and floor to repair the wheel cylinders in the deuce. If they get a chance, they offered to hand set the front clip so all Ghostdriver and I have to do is to button up the wiring looms add fluids and then fire it up for the initial cam break in. ~~ This may all happen in time for Ghostdriver and River the dog to make the Memorial Day Parade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks