• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

1943ht

Ditto on the pics .. yes all that lovely rain left you folks and has been pounding the bejesus out of us since yesterday .. we had 5.2 inches as of this afternoon .. supposed to rain all weekend ... No parades scheduled for Monday here .. but we are going out to decorate graves (My Dad and family) at the National Cemetery at Ft. Snelling tomorrow

Oldfart

Progress showing

Ghostdriver and her crew of helpers have been hard at it getting together for the Memorial Day Parade in Commerce City, CO. Attached are a few recent pictures that show a splash more paint. A few bolts are left to install on the front clip and a run to the store for additional paint.

Attachments

rickf

Has it run yet? I can see guys hanging on the trailer while it is going down the highway doing the run in on the cam! That would even beat out one of my last minute thrashes.:) GD is looking a little stressed! I see one big a**ed party coming when this weekend is over.

Last edited:

Oldfart

a video ~~~~~ Poolboy and Jeff worked late last night ~~~ can't open the hood right now, Ghostdriver is waiting for the paint to tack up. Will proceed with more paint, carb adjustment and cam breakin this afternoon. Have stencils in hand. Expect yellow drab identification because it is a USMC dogrobber unit.

Attachments

Oldfart

More pictures of getting ready (pictures of Ghostdrivers M43, but we are working on the M220, M35a2, M818 and M817 as well) for the Memorial Day Parade. Our club works to make this event have what we call the long green float.

Attachments

Oldfart

After the pause report

I think Ghostdriver is pretty pumped. On the way to the Parade, she managed to pull away from my M220 a bit on the highway. Engine is really strong. While not finished, she and the guys managed to get things far enough along to show well in the parade. The Commerce City Parade is reported to be the second longest in the nation and I am impressed with the truly patriotic nature of the citizens along the route. The big city next door does not turn out as well for sure.

Photos not attached due to security something or the other not working. I will try the photos later.

Oldfart

It was really something to have the last minute glitches she did. The last minute rush included installing a rotary vane 24 volt electric fuel pump and a carb take down assembly with float and seat re-adjustments. It turns out the mechanical double action fuel pump check ball decided to not work, work, and not work. It is no longer in the line, but the pump remains to provide vacuum for the wipers. The electric fuel pump was kind of high dollar, but it should last indefinitely. Oh, and a headlight decided to burn out the night before. Thank goodness for parts trucks.

The next step is for Ghostdriver to paint some red crosses on the top and sides and then tackle the interior. She already has some litters and medical boxes to pack around so there should not be too much more to collect for the project.

We apprecieate evereyone's good wishes and interest. And the project continues. One of the things Ghostdriver wants to do is to find out something about the Marine who scratched his name on the windshield frame.

zout

Ghostdriver - Olefart - pit crew - absolutely thumbs up on the project 43 and making it to the parade.

43 is looking spectacular and I am sure GD is not completed by any means. But to get the unit rolling with everything you had thrown at you is a testament to your skill levels and endurance [thumbzup][thumbzup].

On a side note - I can personally appreciate absolutely nothing was done to hide or remove battle scars from the 43. For myself it would have been sacraledge to do so to those that served and were treated and possibly those that lost their struggle with life in it. To me its a living memorial piece of history.

Thanks for taking time to post the pictures and your story of the days events.

Oldfart

Ghostdriver - Olefart - pit crew - absolutely thumbs up on the project 43 and making it to the parade.

43 is looking spectacular and I am sure GD is not completed by any means. But to get the unit rolling with everything you had thrown at you is a testament to your skill levels and endurance [thumbzup][thumbzup].

On a side note - I can personally appreciate absolutely nothing was done to hide or remove battle scars from the 43. For myself it would have been sacraledge to do so to those that served and were treated and possibly those that lost their struggle with life in it. To me its a living memorial piece of history.

Thanks for taking time to post the pictures and your story of the days events.
Zout,

Ghostdriver told me she was impressed by all the finger prints around the bullet holes after the parade. There was a lot of "checking it out" that took place. She took it by a Senior Citizen's home after the parade and one of the guys there was a Marine with Korean conflict time. They talked for quite a while I guess. She said there was a Marine at the parade who talked about how they stole jeeps from the Navy and repainted them so they would have something to drive around. She has decided the sling spreader bar dent on the roof will stay as well since it represents a part of her M43's travel experience. The bullet holes and dents will stay for sure.

Ghostdriver

Just a couple pics from the retirement home we visited on the way home from the Memorial Day parade. What a fun and rewarding day! Can't thank everyone enough for all the help I got to get this truck running again (including everyone who was pulling for me from several thousand miles away). And thanks to my wonderful boyfriend, who is the ONLY reason it was actually painted green in time for the parade. Can't believe how beautiful that truck is, and I get the honor of driving her.

Don't worry, I'll post more on the ongoing saga of "Faith."

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks