• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M4A3 Sherman Tank from the Movie "TANK"! FOR SALE

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
"Tank" was filmed at Fort Benning, GA. If you have seen the movie you will recoginze the MP station in the movie as the same one that is in use today.

Another movie filmed there was "We Were Soldiers"......you can't miss the jump towers in the background in the scene where they were loading onto the busses enroute to Nam.

gunboy1656

Tank was one of my favorite movies growing up. But man that is an expensive toy. Where did I hide that winning lottery ticket?

As soon as I saw that listing I was drooling.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This tank belongs to Fred Ropkey. He has a wonderful armor museum in IN. Makes me wonder why this centerpiece of his collection is for sale!

GoldComet6

Is that price is line with the current market???

I know any Sherman is valuable, but is this one REALLY worth that much? :roll:

I could see it IF, it had a documented war history, that included the crew using it to take out three Tigers in the Battle of the Bulge or somethhing. But just being in a movie shouldn't increase the value that much.

Well see....but I doubt it will sell. But it is a very nice tank though.

Last edited:

M2HB

With that "Tank" being the star in a classic movie I'm sure the price is inline with current values plus the fact how many Shermans have you see for sale lately? With Stuarts going for over $200k I can see why he wants top dollar for his. I'm sure he would be open offers as well?

halftrack

As long as people are willing to buy Stuarts and other armor at the prices they are asking, then they will keep selling that high. The WW2 museum in New Orleans paid $180,000 for a Stuart and after looking at it, it definitely wasn't a $180,000 tank. It doesn't even run good.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Jason your exactly right, also hopefully some nice person or group that lives outside the US does'nt want to buy it and export it so they can be like a "yank". Overseas is where alot of them go as some of us know US military vehicles of all kinds bring the big prices there.
With that said , we know Armor can be brought home again.... - Jay

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure the going rate for shermans is 350-500K. This has a documented movie history. Seems reasonable to me.[thumbzup]

m151dave

I saw this tank last year when visiting Fred's place. Real nice outside, but could use some work inside. He is very proud of this tank, told me all about when he made it available to the movie company for the filming of Tank.

He has a lot of other tanks, but still, never thought he would sell that one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The unique thing about this tank is that the interior is unrestored. What you see is what the GIs looked at 65 years ago. For that reason the interior was never refinished. All of the interior pics in the movie was some type of prop or some other machine.

B3.3T

"With that said , we know Armor can be brought home again.... - Jay"

Sorry, but that is flat out incorrect. If that were the case, those 30 Brazilian Army M-3's would have come here instead of the UK. I know several dealers who tried everything they could.

Needle

From my perspective (been there, done that:grin:), I would say that the price is about right as a guide for an opening bid.

As with most "large" items of military equipment, it is a fairly select market, and the piece of equipment is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

In an auction, the final purchase price will also be affected by how many buyers (with the available funds) have been waiting for an operational one to be available in the market place.

Pieces of this quality don't normally come on the "open" market, because most dealers/collectors know each other, and/or have deals performed "quietly" by brokers who "match" buyer and seller, out of "public view":cool:. Quite often a peice of equipemnt is sold with very few people even knowing it was for sale.

Needle

Needle, that is a sweet looking "Easy-8"

Thank you. M4A4 built by Chrysler at Detroit Tank Arsenal (1942/43 ), then later converted to Easy 8.

Combat veteran : Europe (UK/France/??) 44/45, then Israel from mid/late 50's. Shows some minor battle damage. Re-gunned with French CN-75 70 and re-engined from Chrysler A57 gas to Cummins VT8-460 Diesel.

Operational (fully restored and fully equipped inside and out), with propane/oxygen gun and compressed air re-coil.

Corprin

Another movie filmed there was "We Were Soldiers"......you can't miss the jump towers in the background in the scene where they were loading onto the busses enroute to Nam.
During the scene when they are crossing the tower field at night, you can see an MP has someone pulled over. **** mud-puppies!

To add to the M4 topic... I took this pic just before my drive north from Udari, Kuwait. This was sitting in a "bone yard" with a gutted M998, and a pair of very strange armored vehicles with a boat on top. enjoy

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks