• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m54 with a detroit diesel

Pinkie

depends on what model detroit. 671 I think would be a little long, I have seen one of those in a m35 but the motor was too tall as well. I would go with a cummins if youa re repowering.

tmbrwolf

I recognize that truck started out in life as a bridger and was sold at the GSA auction in Manhattan Kansas!!! A local VFD did that, they put a 6-71 in it, ran good but couldn't keep transfers in it. I asked why they didn't put a 6V71 and the answer was they had the 6-71 already sitting in a back corner. I always thought a 6V53 or 6V71 would fit in one, never got beyond thimking about it.

m.walker

You are right tmbrwlf , any other info on the truck ? Lots of torque , seems to run pretty good . It does pop out of the highside on the transfer case when warmed up . I just tied the shifter back and it works fine for now . I got it from the auction at less than scrap price and drove it 150 miles home without a problem ! There were a lot of deals at that auction , due to date changes the big dealers didn't show up so it was common man prices !!! I got 2 trucks , and friends got 4 or 5 more . I even got another 5 ton that a friend changed his mind on on later.

Attachments

tmbrwolf

I'd think a 3-53 wouldn't have enough poop for a 5 ton! now a 6V53 from a M113!!!
M.walker, nope I don't have any more info on that rig other than what the VFD told me, I know it was last stationed in Ashland, Kansas down by the OK border.

truckdoctor

I am not familiar with m54 trucks. Did someone add the grill to that green truck or is that a factory item. It looks like a grill for a detroit stationary engine.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
truckdoctor said:
I am not familiar with m54 trucks. Did someone add the grill to that green truck or is that a factory item. It looks like a grill for a detroit stationary engine.
Yeah, the green one has been scabbed together on the front. It should have a grill like the red one.