• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m54 with a detroit diesel

Pinkie

depends on what model detroit. 671 I think would be a little long, I have seen one of those in a m35 but the motor was too tall as well. I would go with a cummins if youa re repowering.

tmbrwolf

I recognize that truck started out in life as a bridger and was sold at the GSA auction in Manhattan Kansas!!! A local VFD did that, they put a 6-71 in it, ran good but couldn't keep transfers in it. I asked why they didn't put a 6V71 and the answer was they had the 6-71 already sitting in a back corner. I always thought a 6V53 or 6V71 would fit in one, never got beyond thimking about it.

m.walker

You are right tmbrwlf , any other info on the truck ? Lots of torque , seems to run pretty good . It does pop out of the highside on the transfer case when warmed up . I just tied the shifter back and it works fine for now . I got it from the auction at less than scrap price and drove it 150 miles home without a problem ! There were a lot of deals at that auction , due to date changes the big dealers didn't show up so it was common man prices !!! I got 2 trucks , and friends got 4 or 5 more . I even got another 5 ton that a friend changed his mind on on later.

Attachments

tmbrwolf

I'd think a 3-53 wouldn't have enough poop for a 5 ton! now a 6V53 from a M113!!!
M.walker, nope I don't have any more info on that rig other than what the VFD told me, I know it was last stationed in Ashland, Kansas down by the OK border.

truckdoctor

I am not familiar with m54 trucks. Did someone add the grill to that green truck or is that a factory item. It looks like a grill for a detroit stationary engine.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
truckdoctor said:
I am not familiar with m54 trucks. Did someone add the grill to that green truck or is that a factory item. It looks like a grill for a detroit stationary engine.
Yeah, the green one has been scabbed together on the front. It should have a grill like the red one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks