• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M60a1 lives!

greenjeepster

Hey it doesn't look like the barrel is plugged? Is the breach in tack?

I would love to have the opportunity to just sit in that thing and pretend to drive it:beer:

dittle

Hey it doesn't look like the barrel is plugged? Is the breach in tack?

I would love to have the opportunity to just sit in that thing and pretend to drive it:beer:
Most of the time when they demil tanks (not the new requirements, talking older ones) they either removed the breech block entirely or welded it shut. The barrels were left open.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The breech block is gone and there is a ring welded in the barrel about 8 inches up from the breech.

Crushing a car!!??? HMMM, now you got me thinking, maybe at the SS day if I can do some persuasion:twisted:

As promised, here is a link to a couple of vids, one is still attempting to load, I think there might be issues. There are other ones up on my You Tube acct, maybe check those out too.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=centHod83r0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuEmK8Id7KM[/URL][/media]

dittle

One thing for you guys to make sure of with this tank is verifying the parking brake releases when you put it in gear. We had a guy driving one of our M60A3's around with the one side locked and he didn't realize it. Lets just say the brake bands imploded inside the transmission and it was one heck of a project to repair.

To verify the brakes are released if you're on flat ground, put the tank in Low and it should roll forward at an idle. If not, odds are you're dragging a little bit.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, checked that first thing AFTER it rolled out of the ruts it was in!

gunboy1656

Way too many cool toys in there. Looks like you need some room...send 1/4 of it to me and I will take good care of it...man I really need to stop dreaming.

BLK HMMWV

Will
I picked a bad day to help pour 65 yards of concrete.
I hope I can be there when you move the sucker back.
Thanks for the video. I 'm sure it was an impressive sound and feel.

GW

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will
I picked a bad day to help pour 65 yards of concrete.
I hope I can be there when you move the sucker back.
Thanks for the video. I 'm sure it was an impressive sound and feel.

GW
That was a spur o the moment thing from Craig. He called me Thursday and said he wanted to fire it. Friday I stopped by, got a TM, did some skimming and the next thing you know, there it is. There are mounts on the mantle for your bug light!

BLK HMMWV

He told me about a possible rental for a video but I didn't think it was going to happen.

I think I might just need to move in down there so I won't miss anything.

You deserve the honor you got from Craig. You have been doing good work down there. I wish I had your skill set. but at last I'm just a sparky.

Did Jake take the video?

Gee I have a bug light for a M60 wish it was the other way around:mrgreen:

saddamsnightmare

February 22nd, 2010.

WATCH OUT WILL..... Somebody might requisition you for the Patton Museum! Boy, you get all the breaks, Playboy Bunnies and M60's, what a life, only in America can a guy have that kind of fun.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:grin:

BLK HMMWV

What a sweet ride that thing is.
I had the good fortune of hearing it and seeing it run today.
I even got to peek inside of it.

Not much room inside that thing empty. I can only imagine what the conditions would be like in the heat with the hatches all buttoned up under the stress of battle a full load of ordnance and crew gear.

My hats off to all you tank guys past , present and future.

Also a big thanks to Craig for the opportunity.:mrgreen:

BLK HMMWV

I think theres one for sale on ebay.
I want one too but after seeing how thirsty it gets and how big it is I think I'll just go visit this one and wash it every once in awhile.

400 gallons of fuel at a pop .
1 mile per gallon.

I wonder when there going to come out with an electric version so the tree huggers will be happy. Oh wait this qualifys as a green vehical already.

BH

saddamsnightmare

;-)February 27th, 2010.

Will has all the fun!rofl

Drinking buddy to Hugh Hefner, with bunny seatcovers for his own deuce:shock:, and inheritor of General George S. Patton's panache!:? I rode a WWII Sherman back in the early sixties as a whippersnapper, and a M60 has to be several levels further up the Armor food chain.....! One of these days I'm gonna go visit Will to thank him for many kindnesses and cage a ride on that tank..... :D I'm amazed it fired up after sitting that long...WOW;-)

Cheers, big Guy, you've got the ultimate "Import" crusher! You stopped after 200 yards? You have the control of a trappist monk, my friend! I would have at least gone for a ride......!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks