• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M656 aluminum bed found - complete

Stalwart

I have been contacted by a person who has an M656 that is undergoing a conversion to a work of art?!? :twisted: They have the bed removed, it has the proper folding seats in the doors and they need to move it ASAP. I'm told it is in really good condition but they are holding off scrapping it for a VERY short time. This isn't really a classified as I don't stand to make any money on this, I just don't want to see another one of these beds killed for its aluminum value. It is in the San Francisco area. This will last days not weeks!

PLEASE PM me if you need one, I HATE to see one of these beds turn into pop cans!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If nothing else save the bed "sides" there's 2 beds on the east coast but they don't have sides/seats.

Stalwart

I would but it is 800 miles from me and I sold my M656. I have been contacted by someone looking for a bed and you just can't seem to find any complete ones. He called me 6 months ago and I have no number for him. I stand to make NOTHING from this, other than the fact I want to save one from the scrapper. Bjorn can attest to the rarity of this 8x8's bed.

Stalwart

Yes, he owns the tractor but with this bed he could have both the tractor and the amphibious version without too much work. Not that anyone in their right mind would swim one, the engine is IN the water!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it would be too hard to pull the hitch and bolt a bed down!
You're right, smartass, but I talked to him a while back when I visited his place and I asked him about the whole tractor vs. cargo argument and he seemed pretty enthusiastic about the fact he owned the rarer tractor version. I'm just saying I doubt think this cargo bed is going to find a home with him - not to mention WA to VA would suck in terms of shipping.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think Bjorn needs it - he owns a tractor variant, it never had a bed on it.
I thought his was origionally a cargo variant, but he couldn't find the bed? The more I look I may have been wrong. I know he was looking for a bed in the past. The ones in GA and FL are both missing the bed sides.

Last edited:

jasonjc

OR, he may know of some one looking for one. I lot of pepole know him and that he has one, so they may have asked him about a bed.

Just get the word out!!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sent you a PM, Stuart. Thank you all for thinking of me. I did actively search for a bed a few years ago and started to make payments on one out in Idaho, but gave up due to the high cost of transporting it East.
Yes, I'd like to help save this one if the cost isn't too high, even if it remains in storage on the West coast for some time.

The swap from 5th wheel to cargo is no big deal except for some features not found on the tractor, like bilge pumps and pressurized door seals and generator.

What about the tires? Could this be your old one Stuart (and Sangomo's ) truck? Although you may not have had the seats...

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

Nope, not mine but the pumps may be avaiable too, they are making a people hauling land barge of sorts with an artsy feel. From the same people that made and brought this to burning man 2 years back.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it's not nearly enough but I have a "C" note I'd contribute to saving this bed in hopes that some day it made it to Meadows of Dan VA. Would anyone else like to contribute? I suppose we really need to find someone close and with storage first.

Stalwart

It's in the belly of the beast in the Republik of Kalifornia, near SF. :mrgreen:

If it weren't 800 miles away I'd be helping find it a temporary home. Sad too, we had to call off our trip to Lodi (just East of SF) in a couple of weeks or I could have helped out and picked it up on my trailer. Wouldn't have got it to the East coast but could have made it safe.

I think the bed is about 17-18' long and about 4' high and 8' wide. My guess is it weighs about 1500 lbs being all aluminum.

KsM715

Nope, not mine but the pumps may be avaiable too, they are making a people hauling land barge of sorts with an artsy feel. From the same people that made and brought this to burning man 2 years back.
Somebody please go snag this vehicle from these people. Not just the bed but the whole thing. Take them school bus or something else to cut up and haul all those dirty hippies in. Edit: let me cover my a$$ and say "with all do respect". Lord knows I do not want to insult or offend anyone by my comments

Last edited:

Stalwart

Jeff, if you really want to get your panties in a bunch, it's being funded by a public arts program. I don't know if it's state or federal but tax dollars are going into the project. :twisted:

The trucks fate is sealed, I just want to see as much saved as possible. I must say for a bunch of hippy artist types (if they are even that), they have been VERY pleasant to speak with on 3 occasions!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks