• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 resurrection

spicergear

Nice! I put a 6.2 with an NV4500 in one and an NP205. What do you have behind the diesel? Is it the stock NP200 case? Is it leaking oil yet? :mrgreen:

The 6.2 is good in them! Mine was pretty gutsy.

auron

my freind has a m715 that he lifted and put 44's on and did a whole drive line swap to it 454ci ho, with long tube headers and dual exhause. its not original by any means any more which ive seen people tell him he ruined a good truck but i like it. if i can find any pics of it i will post them and i kinda wish i had the 9k that he wants for it

oilcan

CUCV 6.2 with HMMWV 24 volt IP and electrics, Chevy SM465 4 speed, Stock (leaking) NP200, stock axles, 11.00-16 XL's, Corvette master cylinder... It was a fire truck that wasn't very well maintained, so hacking it really isn't an issue. Plus, everything I modded can easily be put back to stock.

I doubt I'll drive it every day, but it'll make a good DD when it's done. There are plans in the works to add some other goodies. I'll just be happy to have a running truck for now!

The last running motor that was in this thing was a 6.2, and I was pleased as punch with it. My only complaint was the lack of O/D for highway driving, and that might be taken care of soon. (don't want to jinx it, though)

And yup, I'm back in the Buckeye. Long story, but things are working out.

saddamsnightmare

February 10th, 2012.

Yep, those are truely ruinations of fairly rare military trucks....:sad: I drove M715's in their original form and felt that they were better then the later CUCV's for power and capacity... Any man can waste money, though, it is their right to do so, but 50 years from now someone's going to be undoing all that work and paying premium prices for the needed original parts...
I will never figure out why these birds don't just get a KIA diesel version of the 715 and start chopping on those?:idea: Or better yet, chop up a Land Rover or Range Rover and improve both the highways and the woods....

oilcan

There's always one...

And if I didn't have a backspace button, I might have just gotten myself kicked off this site.

:deadhorse:

spicergear

Saddamsnightmare, just a quick fyi, a pair of stock front fenders on Velvet and you'd barely know I was there. It has stock spring packs with Rocks' and an NP205 on stock t-case mounts. Funny, of the people I talked to that drove them 'new' the consensus was that their kidneys still hurt from thos SOB's driving like buck-boards and any road speed is condusive to a swallowed valve. If you don't need any traveling speed than a stock truck will do. If you would like to do nearly anything else...they must be modified. It's tough to get places without being on main roads nowadays and driving something at 45 or 50mph is the pits! ...OR you're isolating youself to the super long routes that take so much longer to stay off the highway. I have often thought about another 'Velvet' build only stopping before the 46's. Rockwells, yep- I liked them and with single style M34 wheels with 1100x20 Goodyear Custom X-tra Grips they fit perfectly. I put a lot of miles on it with that combination. The stock 427TD BBC was nice but a 6bt would be fun to try to get 20mpg out it. The 3053A tranny was about perfectly geared for that truck and the truck would never ever hurt it.

The stock trucks are great and I've seen plenty of BEAUTIFUL restorations but the fact is if you want to be out and about more than short stints or parades...you gotta cut the cord and do some modifications.

Even the M715 I put the 6.2, NV4500, and NP205 in with stock (but lockout and locker'ed) axles looked like a nice factory ride...but had usability as far as travel.

Last edited:

oilcan

So to get this thing back on track, I'm really thinking about a few ways to stuff a 3053A in the truck. And since everything is built to go back to stock, I'll put the factory transmission crossmember in the pile I've saved from all the other mods and build a new one. :?

Tom, I'll be sending you a pm to pick yer' brain on the subject.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
See if the input shaft from the 3053 will fit in your flywheel. You can use the deuce clutch in there if it does.

oilcan

Replacing or modifying the pilot bushing won't be a problem.

I need to scrounge through my parts pile and start fiddling with the calipers and mics. Maybe my pops will show me how to do a machinist's drawing, since he used to do that stuff for a living. And I might have some old parts interchange manuals in the bookcase. (I forgot I had those things!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks