• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 resurrection

Barrman

Looks like the modified M715 gang is all here. Getting along real well too.

Adam, what ever number engine you were on in 2006 when we all played together at WITC sure did impress me. Glad you are getting back to driving it again.

All the non M715 owners reading this:
The M715 doesn't really fit in any normal category. They were basically a cheap stop gap to replace the aging M37 fleet, they were replaced by a string of several other stop gap vehicles. They had such low numbers that most people have no clue what they were supposed to have in them stock. I have had people walk up to me at shows and tell the people with them how they drove "one just like it" in the service. Big tires, big block engine and all. Correcting them just causes arguments.

I do not try to deceive. I replaced my running gear for more road speed, better dependability and parts selection. I have 5 stock 230 engines sitting here at the house. Yet, I have no desire to put one of them back in.

Yes, a totally stock well maintained vehicle will be worth more as years go by. However, a vehicle that runs compared to sitting in a field and rotting back to dirt is worth a lot more to its current owner and through parades, shows and just plain driving around. Worth a lot more to the HMV hobby in general.

Individuals now own these trucks and what happens to THEIR truck is up to them. Right or wrong in others eyes, they are doing what they want.

oilcan

Tim, the motor I was using in '06 was #1... A civie motor that came with a 725 hulk I got from a guy on the coast of VA.

WITC was a fun rally, and the only thing I wanted while there was a locker or two. The driveline was top notch as far as I was concerned. If memory serves, I've tried two other 6.2's with no real success, and one 350 that I absolutely hated. (stinky benzene burners! ;-))

And as an update, The old Kaiser is now officially legal to be on the road. I even picked up some krylon to cover up those funky fenders. More pics will be on the way after the touch-up.

tom2147

I'm looking foward to more pictures. Great looking trucks!

Although I haven't seen it a guy I work with has what he claims is a fully restored M715. Its also for sale for a mere $10,500. This thread has me convinced i need to see his [thumbzup]

Last edited:

oilcan

I'd love to have a restored factory-stock M715. Maybe some day I'll pick up another truck and try for a 100 point resto...

Not much in the way of pics right now. I'm loading up for a short trip tomorrow, so I stuffed it in the garage to keep Jack Frost at bay.

Anyhoo, here are a few. If you don't look too close, the thing doesn't look half bad. Once some of the body work gets done, it'll get a new paint job.

Attachments

197thhhc

Modification is a good thing. If the military didnt modify all the deuce owners would be driving M34s . I figure if the military had no issues modifiing i dont either. I am looking for a M715 project now and will be abou as stock as the bobbed deuce I am finishing now.[thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody thinks mine is a M37. I've had no telling how many tell me where there's a truck sitting just like mine. I'll go and look at it and it's a M37. I can't understand this because a M715 and M37 look nothing alike.

oilcan

Both pickups, soft tops, military looking... I had one guy tell me about a "715" once that turned out to be a farmer's 2 ton grain truck. He just thought the bed looked similar, and was convinced.

By the way, the trip went really well. It was about 50 miles round trip, and I kept the speedo locked on 50 mph. (The GPS was showing roughly 54 mph) I didn't think to write down the mileage, so no MPG estimate for now. It used to get 15 in town, and a little less on the highway.

Attachments

bmac6026

I'd love to have a restored factory-stock M715. Maybe some day I'll pick up another truck and try for a 100 point resto...

These trucks look good "Unrestored" as they do "Restored"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks