• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M76 Otter pics and information

Trackiron

Picked up two otters. One that was at Tomlin's and one out of Canada. Looking for more spare parts if anyone knows of any. I now have a decent set of amphib tracked vehicles: M29C Weasel, M116 Husky, M76 Otter. :ditto:on the Hippies!

Attachments

wehring

Trackiron

Hey Guy,

You have GOT to change your avatar! Every time I see it it brings back terrible memories of missing the deal at Reed's by days to "some guy in OR". aua

How did the machine turn out? Is it a "good one"?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Trackiron

OK - I hate to make a guy feel bad - new avitar. The M116 has some issues but I have most of the mechanical stuff fixed. My club is giving me a hard time about not having it repainted yet. If you are comming to Portland ever - PM me so we can meet up.

Last edited:

52sdc

Gentlemen,

I was the last CO of an Otter platoon in the history of the Marine Corps. I commanded the unit for the immediste six months prior to it being disbanded in Nov. 69. I have tons of pictures and loads of info on the M-76 (the best **** amphibious vehicle ever made!). And, yes, just about any round would go right thru them (sometimes this was a good thing - like in the case of RPG's). If you have any questions, fire away. More than happy to post some of my pics here.

Steve Cox
1st Lt USMC
(Mustanger)
1967-1974

Trackiron

Steve - Glad you posted here. I am looking forward to your pictures and information. So far what I can determine is that my Otters served with the Army. One at Adak, AK with Special Services - not sure on the other yet except that is was Air National Guard. PM me to get my private E-Mail.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen,

I was the last CO of an Otter platoon in the history of the Marine Corps. I commanded the unit for the immediste six months prior to it being disbanded in Nov. 69. I have tons of pictures and loads of info on the M-76 (the best **** amphibious vehicle ever made!). And, yes, just about any round would go right thru them (sometimes this was a good thing - like in the case of RPG's). If you have any questions, fire away. More than happy to post some of my pics here.

Steve Cox
1st Lt USMC
(Mustanger)
1967-1974
Steve,
You, Sir, are what makes this site so absolutely awesome.

The West Texas Detachment of the SS wlecomes you aboard with great enthusiasm :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear and prepare to get underway :driver:

Thank you for your immediate offer to contribute your knowledge base to this mission.

Oldfart

Picked up two otters. One that was at Tomlin's and one out of Canada. Looking for more spare parts if anyone knows of any. I now have a decent set of amphib tracked vehicles: M29C Weasel, M116 Husky, M76 Otter. :ditto:on the Hippies!
Does anyone know what has become of Jack Tomlin's stuff since he passed away? He had boxcars and containers full of neat and esoteric stuff not to mention his firearms collection.

Trackiron

I hate to even discuss this subject - lets keep it about Otters in this thread - Yes - There is an executor who is in the process of the ATF transfer of Jack's Ordiance and then some of it will be put up for sale. Most things were already spoken for or sold off.

Got to thank Jack for his contributions and enthusiasm to collecting MVs...
"To be remembered is the greatest honor" RIP Jack

Last edited:

Oldfart

I hate to even discuss this subject - lets keep it about Otters in this thread - Yes - There is an executor who is in the process of the ATF transfer of Jack's Ordiance and then some of it will be put up for sale. Most things were already spoken for or sold off.

Got to thank Jack for his contributions and enthusiasm to collecting MVs...
"To be remembered is the greatest honor" RIP Jack
Thanks for the info ~ sorry about the downer ~ Jack was quite a guy.

Back to Otters - Way back in the late 60's I passed on one for $2500 at George Epcar's on Brighton Bvd. in Denver. He had a Sherman with the cannon cut off in the middle. He wanted $1500 for that one. I anguished over both of those for months. I used to run down to buy parts for my M37 and then I would spend an hour or two sitting in them wishing I could see my way clear to buy one or the other. The Otter had a radial aircraft engine and was amphib and would have been my choice if I could have found the money. Now as an old man I would be hard pressed to fit through the hatch of the Sherman, but I think I could still crawl into the driver's seat of an Otter. ~ Epcar was an old guy back then and he wound up closing his business to retire. My parts supply just went away along with some neat vehicles.

goodfellaelvin

searching hopelessly for a M76 pontiac otter

hi, my name is Elvin. I admire all types of military vehicles, but i am trying to find a m76 otter that i can rebuild. I am in the proses of aquiring a AM General M35A2 from the auction. I have a list of vehicles i want to get but my dream is to buy a m76 otter. If any person knows where i can find one let me know. Any otter in any condition. Please if any one knows anything give me some info. i am willing to travel to pick up. Please can anyone help........

Trackiron

PM me - I now have 4 otters and will sell one to the right person. As you may know, restoring obscure vehicles like the otter or even a husky is not for everyone. Almost every part on the otter was purpose made for it including the entire drive train. Parts are very rare and there is no spare track anywhere I have found. I am building track for three people right now. I also am making the replacement internal parts for the mechanical fuel pump on the injection system. If you have the ability to make the missing parts or pay someone to do it - an otter is for you.

Good luck on getting that M35 - You soon will have three, then 5 then.... That is how this deal works!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how about some pics of your otters? How/what are you doing to make tracks? Are they another track you are modifying?

goodfellaelvin

hi. thank you Trackiron. I need to speak better with you.....My personal email is Elvinmarabuto@verizon.net. I have thought long and hard about this decision. I have been looking for a long time for an Otter. Its my one love with everything thought off and thoughts that took shape. I have thought about really hard and i know it will take a long time to build the otter up from its shell, but thats what i want something i can work on and build up myself. I hope we can come to some ............ I am not done with only the otter, i want to find a m116 Husky, a M548, a M29C weasel, a Gmc CCKW , 2 M35A2, a M270 but with out the mlrs system, and a few more not written down. Trackiron , I thank you and hope to speak soon.....if you can also send pics too.........but i have a long day tomorrow so i have to go but never give up,always fight for what you love...we pray for our military brotherin over seas

Found M76 Otter Running condition

I found an m76 otter n running condition. It needs tires and some track bands. you could probably repair the tracks to drive it easily. Everything is intact, been in an airplane hanger for 20 years. He wont give me a price and told me to make a serious offer. He knows what he has. Can anyone tell me what you think it could be worth? Ill post more pix tonight.

FL_Frank

I have been trying to buy that Otter as well from that dealership since it folded! Drive by it every day from work - sounds like you got more traction that I did =)

He's also got a HMMVW with a cracked block, but nice otherwise, a winched Deuce that's been rotting outside and a piece of armor in the main dealership building (A V100?).

-Frank

(Apopka)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks