• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M812

mangus580

Trying to make the truck appear as legal as possible... [:)] I can imagine what it will be used for, that it will be overweight from time to time :banghead: so it would be best to avoid an overwidth issue....

The plan is to narrow up the existing bed, and keep the 'roll-off' setup. I am just trying to decide which would be best between the choices RDD mentions. I honestly think the 100 duals will provide more flotation on the rear, and therefore make the most sense, but I think that sacrifices ground clearence, not that in its normal intended purpose should really matter much...

mangus580

oh... and by the way bruce keeps 'begging' for the truck, I guess I will have to assume its a decent deal :hop:

BTW... did i mention that it has only about 3000 miles on it? Soldier A decided it needed to run hot, REAL hot, and overheated it, seizing it... :banghead:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think $4000 is a fair deal. To be honest, I'd rather spend $6500 for one that I could drive around that is turn-key, but I would bet that you'll end up with a nice truck for less than that...even after you figure your time into the equation. The kicker is that the $6500 deal is off of the table...at least for now. The dealer told me he could revisit the issue with his govt contact. I am not sure how he does it, but he can buy directly from the govt...bypassing GL and GSA altogether...but he has to buy in bulk.

I would be interested in the truck, if you don't purchase it. That has more to do with the fact that I would never consider paying $10K+ for an overwidth bridge truck.

I'd be curious to hear how you plan to reduce the width of the bed. I, myself, like things to be original, but I can totally understand that there are often designs that can be improved upon (see Bjorn's truck) or situations that require a modification (overwidth issue).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the 812 bridge truck. They are just as cool as they get but for bridge trucks, it still comes in second for me. I love the beds on the M328/ M821 variants better. Not as useful but just massive. I would love to have even a gasser if I could just get it here. The ultimate would be the M328A1 with the Mack ENDT673. Woohoo! Santa! I've been good! Can I have a bridge truck this year? My little tractor would fit nicely in the bed!
Kenny

mangus580

While I havent looked real close at one in person, I think that it would be really easy to narrow the bed up basically by squishing everything together. I gather from my research that the only reason it is that wide is to accomdate the bridge sections... [:)] Basically the game plan is to narrow up the rear beam and bring the rollers into the proper width . If the A frame has to be narrowed up as well, that can be done too. Then its down to the front rollers, and the walkways. Honestly, I think it will be quite simpler than it sounds. My friend that will be buying the truck has done things like build his own cab for a farm tractor (cant tell the difference from a factory!!). When he takes his time making something, he does a GREAT job. He is the one that helped me with the dump on my deuce. I almost think that my dump may have been harder than the bridge truck project will be, as I had to make existing civvy stuff fit the deuce. The bridge truck is more of taking the existing design and making it smaller...

I will do my best to photo document the project, but I have this habit of saying that and never doing a good job.... :banghead:

M1075

I've got it. Mike will perfect the method of reducing the overall width and Bruce will get us another line on a dozen M812s for cheap. You better start getting in line for this one!

mangus580

No Problem!!! I am in the money making business... [:)] you guys buy your bridge trucks, bring em up here to NY, and we can do the 'conversion' for you... [^] for a fee of course... :deal:

Seriously... I will be willing to share what we learn, and double seriously, I am sure my buddy would be willing (with my help of course) to convert trucks for $...

mangus580

ummm... thats a given!! :hop: think the plan will be to tow it home with a towbar behind my deuce.... The 5 tons had glad hands on the front as well for towing them? So I can make a short set of hoses to connect to my trailer connections? Do I need to use both? or can I just use the service brake? How will a 5 ton tow behind a deuce? Should Soldier B ride in the towed truck just in case?

Desert Rat

At this rate soldier B is probably regretting signing up........................................... :banghead: :lol: :smilewinkgrin: :roll:

mangus580

[^] [^] [^] This is where I get to be soldier A :hop: :hop: :hop:

Soldier B would be the new owner of the truck... I dont think it will be any problem for him at all... :roll:

Although... there could be that one turn... :freaked:

Having traveled the route a few times recently... it shouldnt be a big deal. It will be on main State roads, and can only think of a few spots that might be tough... like a stop light at the top of a hill... :banghead: other than that it should a nice slow easy drive.... [thumbzup]

I love the Emoticons at this place... can ya tell? :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :yeah:

Desert Rat

Not really. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :blush: :burger: :burger: :confused: :cool: :cry: :devil: :eyes: :eyes: :freaked: :freaked: :freaked: :hop: :hop: [:)] [2cents] [2cents] [8] :alien: [:(!] [^] :banghead: :banghead: :boxer: :deal: :deal: :deal: :deal: :deal: :deal: [dito] [dito] [dito] [thumbzup] [thumbzup] [complaining] :idea: :jumpin: :jumpin: :lol: :mad: :nono: :redface: :roll: :rolleyes: :sad: :scool: :scool: :scool: :shakehead: :shocked: :skull: :smhair: :smhair: :) :) :smile: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smurf: :smurf: :smurf: :smurf: :smurf: :p :tongue: :turn: ;-) ;-) :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

mangus580

[dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito] [dito]

so anyway....

any feedback on my braking theory?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need both air lines. One to actuate the brakes and the other to charge the 5tons system. I would have soldier B along. I've not towed a 5 ton but the power steering might have some reistance on the self steer. Other than that, shouldn't be too bad. I've towed 25,000# with my tractor before. Took a few miles to get up to speed.

mangus580

hehe I have had about 17,000# or so behind mine... I agree, it does take a while. My monster load of wood I had (see pics on my gallery I have posted elsewhere) shocked me. I took expressway with it, and I almost think it went faster on the way home, loaded, than on the way there empty....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks