• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813-A1 dump conversion. Will my idea work?

jatonka

Buggyman, Thank you for this whole thread, my hydraulic guy keeps telling me I have to use electric hydraulic pump, I told him PTO pump,tank, controll all in one units are out there. You proved it in a picture.Thanks!!! What model handler is that Hobart in the picture? I just bought my son a Handler 180, He loves it. John T

TheBuggyman

jatonka said:
Buggyman, Thank you for this whole thread, my hydraulic guy keeps telling me I have to use electric hydraulic pump, I told him PTO pump,tank, controll all in one units are out there. You proved it in a picture.Thanks!!! What model handler is that Hobart in the picture? I just bought my son a Handler 180, He loves it. John T
It is a Hobart 180 just like your son's. The 230v welders are much better on usable life for me as I've burnt up TWO 120v machines, your son will be very happy with that welder.

TheBuggyman

Djfreema said:
I see an opportunity for aftermarket super duty bumpers. Could be a money maker if you have the time. [thumbzup]
Now that I've made one and have the sequence down, I suppose that it would not be too much trouble to make more........

Is the Deuce bumper the same as the 5 ton? I made the 5-ton bumper exactly 96" wide.
If they are the same and the process was standardized it would keep the costs semi-reasonable.

TheBuggyman

Semi-finished the bumper and semi-mounted the winch.

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Today I started on the pinion seal leak in the foward rear axle, what a bear this is! :x
I finally got the pinion nut off and pulled the flange, then had to pull the bearing support and found that the seal is BEHIND the bearing support housing so now I have to press out the pinion shaft to get to it! :cry: I put it on a 10 ton press at work tonight and the assembly just snickered at the press! :twisted: Has anyone else done this and what capacity press did you use?

TheBuggyman

Plans are coming together! I figured out a neat way to change a tire, well, actually being able to put the flat back in the truck......
I bought this neat little hoist that rotates and sits in a ball bearing support with a rotation lock so you can park it. It also lifts out of the housing easily if you need the room. Lift height is 8' so I might not have to put the sides down to lift out the tire.
The hoist came in red, but I painted it flat black after the installation. I have to make my spare tire holder and then I will test and let you know if it works!

Attachments

rmgill

You need a chainfall for that hoist. There is a correct spare tire carrier for that truck that also includes a derrick to lift tires in and out.

TheBuggyman

rmgill said:
You need a chainfall for that hoist. There is a correct spare tire carrier for that truck that also includes a derrick to lift tires in and out.
I dont see the need for a chainfall, I do need a small rigging chain for it though. It lifts 8' and the bed is a little over 5' to the ground so technically if I rig the tire on the ground with the hoist fully lowered it should lift the tire 8' off of the ground. (I hope!)

Do you have any pics of the correct carrier/lift? I would much rather have that but I have never even seen one. I know that most folks like to keep their MV's in original condition but I'm trying to bridge the gap between an original vehicle and a working vehicle, do you think it looks funny with the hoist on it? Be honest!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Buggyman, great work on the bumper. Really impressive. Like the hoist too. Where'd you get it? My local Northern and Harbor Freight bed hoists aren't that nice.

Thanks

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very nice, thanks for the reply.

TheBuggyman

Well, I got the hydraulic tank/pump/valve mounted yesterday and hooked up to the PTO. Now I have to get my linkages hooked up to the pto for the winch output and the pump output. My pics did not turn out, I'll try and get some up later in the week.

TheBuggyman

Well, I couldn't wait so I snapped a few tonight after work. Not too bad considering it was so dark the camera would not auto focus! These are the hydraulic tank/pump. The perspective makes it appear crooked in relation to the truck but I can assure you, it is square! Last pic is the side view showing how hidden the assembly is.

Attachments

Timberwolf

I like the hoist eddie. It doesnt look bad black. but i would consider finding a way to mount it flat on the front of the bed so you cant see it from the ground maybe ?