• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813-A1 dump conversion. Will my idea work?

TheBuggyman

Timberwolf said:
I like the hoist eddie. It doesnt look bad black. but i would consider finding a way to mount it flat on the front of the bed so you cant see it from the ground maybe ?
It does pull right out of the mount so I could make a holder for it on the front bulkhead or on the inside of one of the drop sides. Hmmmm..........

BTW, let's settle up for the battery boxes! 8)

TheBuggyman

Tested the spare tire hoist today and it worked GREAT!! One thing to remember though, keep the rotation lock on until you want it to rotate! I initially lifted the tire with the truck sitting on a slight slope and it started to rotate. Darn! Newton was right! My 200lbs is not a match for 350-400lbs! Once I figured the proper sequence of operation it all went smoothly and worked like a charm. The hoist does not look out of place now with that 49" tire beside it!

Attachments

TheBuggyman

rmgill said:
That tool box looks awfully empty.
It is a big box! :shock:

Actually, that is just my tire changing gear, I keep all of my hand tools in carry bags which I do not leave in the truck. Any suggestions on specialty tools for the truck?
Ive got the 1-1/2" socket, extensions and breaker bar, pry bars, jack, 1/2" chain, tree saver, shackles, rigging chain and air hose with glad hand connections and gauge. I keep these items in the box at all times.

rmgill

I have the following on my truck.

tool compartment under the driver
full set of combination wrenches up to 1 1/8" and another 5 wrench set for larger stuff
3 socket sets, 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2" and sockets for 3/4 and 1" in some sizes plus bars and extensions for those
hex socket set
other tools, sprays and some odd specific tools of the air compressor plus spare belts.
Spare head lights
Tire iron and bar

Under the bed in a storage slot/bracket 48" black pipe breaker bar.

In the cab under the seats
20lb fire extinguisher
Road Flares
Road Triangle set
ECWCS jacket
coveralls (tanker suit)
Yellow rain suit
Full set of screwdrivers
Full set of pliers needle and channel locks
ball peen hammer, drifts and punches
larger sledge
wire tools, wire, tape and ends
two flashlights
Digital Multi Meter
cotter pins and winch shear pins

In the glove box
Spare bulb box from a tank with all the bulbs duplicated save the headlights

In a 5 ton tool box bolted to the bed
Air tool set with 1/2" Impact, grider and impact hammer
Pioneer tools
Vice grips
Tire changing tools will go on as well (for breaking down rims/wheels) as well as a spare flap and tube
6 sets of chain binders and 6 sets of grade 70 5/16" chain
2 20 foot sections of 3/8" grade 43 chain with slip hooks
2 sets of grade 70 3/8" chain
x3 5 Ton Snatch Blocks
20 ton bottle jack
longer 1" breaker bar and ratchet handle
Big set of 1" sized sockets
Prybar
30" tire spoon
Air hose and gladhand
x2 coiled air lines

In the bed
Spare oil
Spare Antifreeze
x2 jerry cans empty
x2 6 ton jackstands

TheBuggyman

I'm travelling with you!
You've got alot of stuff on there that I have not even thought about. That is a great list to get started with. Unless I missed it (in that mile long list) have you thought about a portable MIG welder? We have one for our 4wd club which uses 24v power and it works really well. We have to pull batteries from vehicles to connect them but 24v is already available on our trucks.

This is the one we have: http://www.readywelder.com/

rmgill

I'm actually leaning towards an OxyAcetyl torch setup. But one of those 24 volt powered systems would be nice too. Add a slave cable connector to it and you're set. I wonder how well they weld given you can't adjust the voltage or amperage at all. Ooh they even have one with a nato slave cable connector already. Still, $500 starting price from Northern Tool...hmm. Neat setup though.

Oh, there are a few other tools that I need to get to add to the setup. Couple more big chains, a double snatchblock, and some lighting for the bed area under the canvas.

TheBuggyman

Removed the cargo bed today and began trial fitting the hoist and taking measurements for the installation.

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Completed the truck frame to hoist mounts today, had to drill ten 1/2" holes through the double frame section on the rig, what a pain in the butt! Does anyone know if the inner frame is heat treated 'cuz when I hit that point it was slow going!

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Hit the wrong button, here is the rest....

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Last progress pics for the next four days, I have to go to work.
Getting the area cleaned up and ensuring proper dimensions:

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Got some more work done today on Little Christmas Eve. Hinges are fully welded in and in the following pictures you can see the first added frame section which continues the original double frame and then the five foot tie in piece which covers both and triple frames the rear of the truck.

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Began creating the subframe for the original bed. Since the original bed will be subjected to torsional, compression and tension forces instead of the mostly designed compression forces, I felt that it would be prudent to add some strength to the assembly. It will raise the bed exactly two inches above the original location which I am not too enthused about, but I do not want the bed to fail or bend. I used 2x3x1/4" square tube for the assembly. All tube openings will be capped.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks